Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2023, 09:40 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,486,047 times

Advertisements

Like Bosch and many others, it's not a cop show 'to me'. It's a show about people...people working together
caring about or hating each other with complicated pasts.
I can see the layers of the developing characters - and they interest me...how they cope, how they love or lie.
The 3 from the Children's Home are already intertwined well for a first episode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2023, 10:01 AM

22,961 posts, read 28,406,916 times
I watched it. It's definitely promising but still not quite gripping.

The good:
The cast is all around excellent. It did bug me a little that the lead's southern accent came and went. It's fine if his character isn't from Georgia. Maybe he isn't supposed to have an accent? But he had one in some scenes and not in others. ??? But yeah, all in all, this is a great cast.

The writing is good in that they have set up an interesting cast of characters, each with their own strengths, weaknesses, and conflicts. Quite honestly, I was more intrigued by the personal lives of the characters than anything going on in this week's mystery.

What still needs work:
The setting. I know the story is set and filmed in the Atlanta area. Great! I have never been to Atlanta, but this show still feels to me like a show written, produced, and directed by Californians. It was a typical TV cop show in that regard. Very generic. Everything that happened in this episode could just as easily have happened in Miami, Dallas, L.A., San Francisco, or Chicago. Take a cue from a show like JUSTIFIED. Even though it was filmed mostly in California, the creators did a great job in bringing the culture of Kentucky into the show. I'd like to be able to watch WILL TRENT and feel like I am in Atlanta, not Santa Barbara.

The crime of the week. If the show is going to have a new crime each week, they need to do a better job in making us care about the people involved. Episode 1 involved a kidnapping. Yet not once did we even meet the victim. Her parents were great, carried mostly by the outstanding performances of the actors, but the crime itself ... ? Meh. It wasn't gripping. It was barely interesting.

A villain. Even if the show is going to have a new crime every week, they would do well to give us an antagonist that runs throughout the show. A Voldemort or a Boyd Crowder or a J.R. Ewing or a Gus Fring. A hero is only as interesting as his antagonist, and so far, our hero has none.

Conclusion:
I'll probably watch a few more episodes, because what this show is doing well, it is doing really well. But it needs to tighten up its slack, or it isn't going to hold my interest.

Old 01-05-2023, 12:09 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,646,787 times
Oh, who cares about all the blah blah.

Ramon Rodriguez as Will Trent is, as the character Angie says, "objectively hot."

That's plenty enough reason to watch.

Old 01-05-2023, 01:45 PM

23,520 posts, read 19,234,352 times
Haven't seen this and probably won't. I am so heartily sick of cop/investigator-with-personal-issues solving the killing of the moment plots. Maybe I'm the strange one...never been fascinated by human murder. A few years ago a relative gave me a 1 year subscription to Acorn. There was hardly anything other than murder mysteries on it. I watched the other non-murder content, but that didn't take long. Wasn't worth renewing.

Old 01-05-2023, 02:03 PM

2,272 posts, read 4,140,752 times
Thanks for the heads-up loves2read!

I enjoy books by Karin Slaughter (perfect last name!). I preferred her Grant County books, but quite like the GBI series.

I'll watch the first episode tonight (I hope that there are not silly changes to the characters).

Old 01-06-2023, 11:54 PM

33,350 posts, read 12,669,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
2023 Prediction: Watch this one...she is going to be a scene stealer with her sassiness and comedy...esp her facial expressions.
As a teen was in the 70s Show. A clip to see her spunk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3PeuIRXgOE

The only episodes I've seen of That 70's Show have been in syndication, and I've never seen any of hers.

I first noticed her when she gained worldwide attention as the drug addled daughter of Michael Douglas' federal drug czar in the 2000 film Traffic, which came out when she was 18. IMO, she nailed that role.

Later, she had a scene grabbing turn as an FBI agent who turned out to be a perp on a Law & Order SVU episode.

I agree with your assessment re how she will influence this new show.

Old 01-08-2023, 06:18 AM

4,968 posts, read 3,394,150 times
I liked it.

Old 01-08-2023, 07:29 AM

2,733 posts, read 1,550,654 times
My husband and I watched it and really enjoyed it. We love Betty because she looks exactly like our grand dog!

We will continue to watch.

Old 01-08-2023, 12:45 PM

6,190 posts, read 4,594,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Oh, who cares about all the blah blah.

Ramon Rodriguez as Will Trent is, as the character Angie says, "objectively hot."

That's plenty enough reason to watch.

Yeah, but 20 or 30 years of reading everything to him is going to dull that hotness like you wouldn't believe.

Old 01-11-2023, 11:34 AM

22,961 posts, read 28,406,916 times
Second episode was much better than the first. Much more engaging. Great villains, and we actually got to connect with the victims. Getting to know the main characters better too. Even the dialogue was better. And we got some Sam Cooke!

I still wish I got a better sense of this being set in Atlanta. This show could move its setting to L.A. or Houston or Chicago and it wouldn't change the show in the slightest.

But so far, WILL TRENT is shaping up to be the best show ABC has produced in a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV