Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 12:21 PM

503 posts, read 258,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
I predicted about five years ago that streaming would eventually cost the same as cable, if you let it. I got eye rolls.

Personally, I'm watching less television than ever before. I don't pay for any streaming services. I watch the Roku Channel, PlutoTV, FreeVee, and Tubi. But, mostly PlutoTv and the Roku Channel. All free.

I decided it's cheaper to own all the movies and shows I watch than to pay to stream it, so I've been buying more DVD's and bluray's of movies and tv shows. It costs more up front (though buying used can mitigate some of the expense), but it's nice not having to figure out which streaming service has what I'm looking for, because the rights are always changing hands. That, and not everything I watch is available to stream.
For the most part, I rely on my huge collection of DVDs and BluRays. Very few of them have embedded ads or promotions.

For many years I ignored all the streaming stuff, in part because I had DISH TV and in part because my internet service ( DISHnet ) was too slow and unreliable and had hard data limits. Now that I have fast fiber internet I have been exploring video streaming. In my new place I am stuck with DirecTV and a cloud-based DVR.

For this old dog, the whole world of streaming is just too complicated, and I hate ads, so my options are limited. I do have Amazon Prime and will soon pay extra for no ads ( and continue to boycott Freevee as long as it has ads ). Otherwise I just add or remove Amazon Prime Video "channels" based on who has what I want to watch at any given time. But it is a bother to have to keep doing that. There is apparently no "one-package" that works for me.

So. Hulu for older American shows that I watch that I don't have on DVD. MHZ+ and PBS and Britbox and Acorn are the ones that come and go.

What is the future of all this? A continued mess. I don't see it cleaning/clearing up any time soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2024, 12:40 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,181,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Unfort, there are to many streaming services and the costs are now adding up to what cable is.
Agree with this. We've only ever had Netflix and Prime, and we're generally happy with that. We also never cut the cord, although thought about it several times. At the end of the day, we decided to call our cable provider and see what we could get, price-wise, and think it would be too much of a hassle to go through the whole ordeal for a few bucks savings.

Have there been times that I was bummed I couldn't watch a show because it was on a platform we don't have? Yes; but not enough to run out and get it. The only other one we are currently considering is Paramount+ for two shows on it.

Old 01-05-2024, 12:46 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,181,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upminster-1 View Post
For the most part, I rely on my huge collection of DVDs and BluRays. Very few of them have embedded ads or promotions.

For many years I ignored all the streaming stuff, in part because I had DISH TV and in part because my internet service ( DISHnet ) was too slow and unreliable and had hard data limits. Now that I have fast fiber internet I have been exploring video streaming. In my new place I am stuck with DirecTV and a cloud-based DVR.

For this old dog, the whole world of streaming is just too complicated, and I hate ads, so my options are limited. I do have Amazon Prime and will soon pay extra for no ads ( and continue to boycott Freevee as long as it has ads ). Otherwise I just add or remove Amazon Prime Video "channels" based on who has what I want to watch at any given time. But it is a bother to have to keep doing that. There is apparently no "one-package" that works for me.

So. Hulu for older American shows that I watch that I don't have on DVD. MHZ+ and PBS and Britbox and Acorn are the ones that come and go.

What is the future of all this? A continued mess. I don't see it cleaning/clearing up any time soon.
Seriously? We just finished Bosch: Legacy on Freevee and there were maybe two "commercial" breaks during each hour-long episode, about 60-90 seconds each. That's it. No big deal to me, but to each their own.

Old 01-05-2024, 02:33 PM

269 posts, read 247,004 times
Streaming 100% for many years now. The idea of being fed a limited number of channels from a huge cable company is so unappealing in so many ways. I have several streaming subscription services, plus music, plus live TV, and so many free TV and streaming stations and pay a fraction of what basic cable would cost, plus it's all on my schedule. To each their own, but I can't see how the market for TV will devolve back to Cable, which seems so incredibly old fashioned (to me).

Old 01-05-2024, 02:38 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
We've been saving over $100 per month since we dropped cable 12 years ago and went to OTA and streaming. Currently have Prime, Netflix, and Sling, plus the free channels that I can get with the Roku.

Old 01-05-2024, 03:01 PM

1,063 posts, read 905,556 times
sharing passwords has brought our costs down
enough to continue streaming instead of pirating.

Old 01-05-2024, 06:34 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Some streaming services are just overpriced. I think they will eventually dwindle down to just a few. Disney+ will have to come down on price to survive. None of their new movies finished in the top three at the box office. They are getting boring. I watch Tubi mostly, good content and free.

Old 01-05-2024, 06:52 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
I use Amazon, Peacock, Tubi, and regular no pay YouTube. So about $200 a year. Not bad with the free shipping and Thursday Night Football. I occasionally, maybe 4 months a year, get a channel from Amazon for about $27 a year.

I do see increases in the future. Not large but probably a little every year.

Old 01-05-2024, 07:38 PM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upminster-1 View Post
I rely on my public library's huge collection of DVDs. Why collect physical things when they already exist at the library, at no charge?

I've never subscribed to a streaming service, just not enough of a watcher to justify it. When my library closed due to Covid I signed up for Netflix for a time, and had the DVDs sent in the mail. I joked that I was probably the only person in the country ordering the physical disks, and that when my orders came in they were probably retrieved from a dark storage room on shelves covered with dust.

With the streaming services, the providers keep track of what you're watching and when. I don't want that additional surveillance in my life...we have enough as it is.

Old 01-05-2024, 07:39 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
How many ads does PlutoTv have in an hour program? Can't remember if it was Pluto or Philo that had more ads than program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV