Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 04:43 AM

4,862 posts, read 3,292,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
we all live in custom single family homes. They want us to pay for cable service whether we want it or not.

Unless that requirement was in place when you bought the property, I don't think they can unilaterally force you to pay it without a vote of the membership. But depending on the defined thresholds for what composes a 'quorum', it's entirely possible that enough people showed up to vote in in.

Far, far too many people don't want to be 'involved' in the HOA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2024, 11:00 AM

2,504 posts, read 3,251,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Unless that requirement was in place when you bought the property, I don't think they can unilaterally force you to pay it without a vote of the membership. But depending on the defined thresholds for what composes a 'quorum', it's entirely possible that enough people showed up to vote in in.

Far, far too many people don't want to be 'involved' in the HOA.
There wasnt a vote, the HOA Board passed the measure by itself.

Old 04-25-2024, 05:15 PM

4,862 posts, read 3,292,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
There wasnt a vote, the HOA Board passed the measure by itself.
Might be worth pulling out the documentation you got when you moved in to be sure they CAN do that. I'd expect they could pass something like an assessment for roof repair... and they might even impose an assessment to run cabling to the units... but I just don't see how they can force you to subscribe to a recurring monthly service.

Old 04-28-2024, 06:50 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,549,320 times
Over the years that cable TV has been available to me I have divorced several for various reasons. The most recent was Optimum. I had suffered with their service for over 10 years mainly because no other service was available in our area. Constant outages that would be resolved only to return. About 6 months ago, with the service working as well as it ever did (internet only as we stream all of our content), the internet started to fail again. Last straw. Verizon had just fibered wired our complex and was offering great deals to sign up. Done. I have been happy ever since.

However the purpose of this post is to report on how difficult and stressful it was to get Optimum to go away. I ended up being charged for an extra 90 days after the Optimum signal had been cutoff. I had to call and talk to an obnoxious agent to finally end the charges. He would not take no for answer. It was an awful ordeal. Finally I had to resort to using my best swear words and, in short, tell him to f'en end my service now. Guess it worked since there were no further charges.

I would never be tempted to use Optimum again even if I had to do without.

Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,251,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Might be worth pulling out the documentation you got when you moved in to be sure they CAN do that. I'd expect they could pass something like an assessment for roof repair... and they might even impose an assessment to run cabling to the units... but I just don't see how they can force you to subscribe to a recurring monthly service.
I believe the HOA used a loophole, by declaring cable an "amenity" like the pool we are legally bound to pay it. Crazy...

Old Today, 07:10 AM

4 posts, read 1,811 times
Make you buy cable ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV