Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 04:45 PM

205 posts, read 66,950 times

Advertisements

The Honeymooners
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2024, 05:58 PM

2,507 posts, read 3,262,626 times
Many of these shows are on streaming or ME TV. Im watching Adam 12 for the first time, didnt care about it when I was in high school. ME TV has Perry Mason, the Zone etc.

Old 04-30-2024, 06:23 PM

6,167 posts, read 2,928,228 times
1950's: I Love Lucy
1960's: Green Acres

I've seen both a hundred times and still laugh just as hard at them!

Old 04-30-2024, 06:44 PM

613 posts, read 535,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW --- at least the first few seasons --- still hold up as one of the best TV shows of all time. It did go on too long. Once the show went to color it started feeling a bit tired. But those first few seasons in black and white? Classic.
I 100% agree with this. The early seasons when Andy spoke with the southern drawl and was such a nice and compassionate person were great television. Years later he was suddenly speaking perfect English and seemed mad all the time. Can’t hardly blame him for that though considering he had to hang around with characters like Goober and Warren. Howard Spraig was an awful character too.

Old 04-30-2024, 07:10 PM
Status: "Hate is too easy, Love takes courage." (set 9 days ago)

2,049 posts, read 3,373,578 times
OMG - so many, but i'm not sure what years are what

I don't remember some of them when they were originally on because i was very young in the 60s.

My all-time fav is Andy Griffith Show. !!!

Then -

Beverly Hillbillies
Bewitched
Gilligan’s Island
That Girl
The Munsters
The Addams Family
Lassie
Flipper
Dennis The Menace
Leave it to Beaver
The Twilight Zone
Hogan's Heroes

I still watch as many as i can find.

Old 04-30-2024, 08:54 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,066,331 times
Got a lot of laughs out of Green Acres... and still do, now and then, on Youtube.

Old 04-30-2024, 09:03 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,354,763 times
The first two that came to my mind:
The Andy Griffith Show
The Munsters

Old 05-01-2024, 02:27 AM

23,307 posts, read 29,172,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinT View Post
The Honeymooners
I have the complete set! Jackie Gleason was over the top!

Old 05-01-2024, 11:21 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,698,118 times
You know, looking at all those titles what strikes me is how bad most of the television from those decades was.

All the versions of Lucille Ball, Gilligan's Island, Batman--I thought they were stupid back then when I was a kid, and I am quite sure they haven't gotten any better.

Get Smart--still great when I watch it.

One big difference is that back in the 60's there used to be shows based on criminal defense attorneys, like Perry Mason, Harrigan and Son, the Defenders, and that whole genre doesn't seem to exist any more. I think they've decided that copaganda sells better. (I know there are some streaming shows that are about lawyers for the underdog, like The Lincoln Lawyer, but not that many.)

Old 05-01-2024, 12:30 PM

22,957 posts, read 28,383,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
All the versions of Lucille Ball, Gilligan's Island, Batman--I thought they were stupid back then when I was a kid, and I am quite sure they haven't gotten any better.
I grew up watching GILLIGAN'S ISLAND. It remains a guilty pleasure. I 100% recognize how awful it is. But sometimes awful is fun. It's junk food entertainment.

I LOVE LUCY is another one I grew up watching. I wouldn't go so far as to call it bad, but it hasn't aged well for me. It's the same schtick over and over. Lucy wants something. Ricky tells her no. She does it anyway. Hijinks ensue. Ricky says, "LUUU-CY!" She says, "Waaaaah!" and then the episode ends. It gets old after a while.

Quote:
Get Smart--still great when I watch it.
Ditto. A lot of that could never make it on the air today. PC police would never allow it. But it still holds up as a fantastic show.

Quote:
One big difference is that back in the 60's there used to be shows based on criminal defense attorneys, like Perry Mason, Harrigan and Son, the Defenders, and that whole genre doesn't seem to exist any more. I think they've decided that copaganda sells better. (I know there are some streaming shows that are about lawyers for the underdog, like The Lincoln Lawyer, but not that many.)
Never really thought about it that way, but you're right. All of today's cop and lawyer shows are always about catching the bad guy and the bad guy is always bad.

I never could get into Perry Mason, even as a kid. Something about Raymond Burr always rubbed me the wrong way. And again, every episode was pretty much the same. Perry defends someone, makes a brilliant argument in court, and the real villain stands up, "I did it!" Not only repetitive but super corny.

I'd love to see more courtroom dramas along the lines of MY COUSIN VINNY. Besides being very legally accurate throughout, there is no real bad guy in the movie. The cops and the prosecuting attorney aren't being meanies. They really do think these two kids are murderers and are trying to have a just outcome. When the sheriff realizes he was wrong, he's the first one to present the new evidence. The cops and lawyers aren't bad. They're just mistaken. The truth is hidden, and it's up to the hero to find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV