Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 02:09 PM

485 posts, read 1,840,236 times

Advertisements

I am sick and tired of the silly shows on television. I want to watch a show that expands my mind and requires I watch carefully so I can really catch all the details and back stories.

So far the most intellectual show I am watching is Mad Men on AMC. Do you recomend other regular weekly TV shows for thinking people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 02:34 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,860,047 times
Do you watch "Lost?" If not, you've got time to catch up via past seasons' DVD's before the new season starts next Jan./Feb. You have to pay attention to every single second of that show, and you still won't be able to figure it out. That's the beauty of the show! Search some of the message boards and you'll see all the theories out there about what's really going on.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:54 PM

42 posts, read 137,288 times
Gossip Girl

Old 09-14-2008, 04:58 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,917,539 times
Agree with CMMom about LOST. It's one of my favorite shows right now. I really enjoy and would recommend Dexter on Showtime. Season 3 starts later this month and the first two seasons are on DVD. It has Michael C. Hall in the lead role (he was in another brilliant show called Six Feet Under). He's very talented and brings nice layers to the character he plays.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:25 PM

1,510 posts, read 5,067,803 times
Quote:
I want to watch a show that expands my mind and requires I watch carefully so I can really catch all the details and back stories.
LOST!!!!

If you want to think and analyze until you're about ready to blow your brains out, then believe me, Lost is all that and a bag of chips.

Seriously though, it's an amazing show. It's got a great cast and the writing is brilliant. The pilot episode is one of the most captivating I've ever seen. It'll have you hooked from the first 10 minutes. I always recommend this show to everyone, it's just too good to pass up.

edit: Reading R.J.'s response, I agree with him/her and also recommend Dexter. Great show. But it is another crime based show, and that may not be your thing.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:56 PM

93 posts, read 288,044 times
If you want details and back stories, i would definitely go with Desperate Housewives, or Brothers & Sisters. Both of those shows are AMAZING, and I can't wait for new episodes every week! There is always a twist or turn in the plot every episode. I never really caught on to Lost, but with everybody talking about it, I kinda wish I did watch it b/c I feel a little left out. haha

Old 09-15-2008, 12:25 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,850,710 times
Of the shows that are current I'd have to go with;

Life, good storytelling

The Closer

In Plain Sight

Burn Notice

Saving Grace

Of recent shows I'd have to say;

The West Wing, whether you're from the left or right this is great storytelling, good moral lessons and something that GW Bush should've watched instead of constantly criticizing Martin Sheen for his political activism. NO decision the President makes is an easy one!

Deadwood; Take out the swearing and the on-screen killing and you've still got a very compelling story. Well developed characters, good plotlines and excellent political story lines. And the women are all pretty strong and just as conniving as the men!

Rome; See the 4 lines above regarding Deadwood. The line about the strong women goes double for Rome. Also has the beautiful Indira Varma in the first season and Zuleikha Robinson, the girl detective from "New Amsterdam" in the last season. Beautiful woman.

Boomtown; Only lasted one season on NBC. Street cops, detectives, EMTs and prosecuting attorneys, each crime retold from the view of each. Too confusing for the average dumb American

Sports Night; quite possibly the best TV show ever, although Frank's Place was up there with it. Sport's Night is available on DVD I'm sure. Frank's Place not.

Prime Suspect; Helen Mirren as a cop in Scotland Yard. Shown on PBS's Masterpiece Theatre in the US. All are available on DVD and it's great to go back and watch from the beginning and see some of the big stars who were on early ones, including Ralph Fiennes.

Homicide, Life On The Street; NBC cop drama from the mid 90's. Factually based and pretty rough for its time. Shown daily on WGN, Chicago. It lead to;

The Wire. HBO production so some rough language, generally considered by TV lovers to be the best show ever done.

golfgod

Old 09-15-2008, 12:44 AM

396 posts, read 1,276,256 times
I'm gonna have to suggest Dexter as well. Incredible show.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:31 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
Without a doubt Dexter.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:53 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
Most shows on the National Geographic channel
Most shows on the History channel
Many shows on the Discovery channel
If you'd like to wrap your mind around how time bends, why wings evolved and unevolved, what happened before the Big Bang, what's on the other side of the entire length of the Great Wall of China, for starters -- you've got your fun cut out for you. I mostly watch those three channels, plus the Food Channel, and learn and expand each time.

Of the fiction shows, Numb3rs on Friday nights (CBS) is the only one I watch -- I avoid the cops n robbers parts and pay attention to the mathematics, creation of complex probability theories and calculations, quantum physics, quantum mechanics, astrophysics, and occasional cosmology of the two university professors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV