Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 07:59 AM

78,437 posts, read 60,640,522 times

Advertisements

Ok, anyone else familiar with this topic?

Been a member for over a decade and with a big extended family I have long paid for the 4 license option which has morphed now apparently?

Now it says only 4 devices and only at your household...but you can add other locations.

If I'm understanding things correctly, that's a huge change for me.

I figure I'll just play dumb and if they want to rap my knuckles after 14 years of membership and paying for the 4 account option which now appears to have morphed then I'll just have to decide if I cancel or not.

Seems like they completely restructured things to target the people sharing 1 membership and so I'm getting caught in crossfire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2023, 08:19 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,252,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Seems like they completely restructured things to target the people sharing 1 membership and so I'm getting caught in crossfire.
Isn't that what you are doing? Sharing one membership at more than one physical address and more than one ISP address?

Old 05-24-2023, 08:28 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
Quote:

Been a member for over a decade and with a big extended family I have long paid for the 4 license option which has morphed now apparently?

Now it says only 4 devices and only at your household...but you can add other locations.

I figure I'll just play dumb and if they want to rap my knuckles after 14 years of membership and paying for the 4 account option which now appears to have morphed then I'll just have to decide if I cancel or not.

I believe what you had was 4 profiles on one account. The change (not really a change, just enforcing their existing rules) is that all four profiles have to be a part of the same household. They are apparently adding an option to add additional locations for $8 each (or so I thought I heard on the news this morning). So If you have a child away at college, you can keep them on your account for $8/mo.

Technically, you've been breaking the terms of your membership for 14 years and getting away with it. Now they're just implementing ways to prevent people from doing just that.

I don't think you're going to be able to keep your big extended family on your account in multiple locations, at least not at significant cost. It's probably time to bump all the freeloaders and tell them all to get their own accounts

Old 05-24-2023, 12:49 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
I find that to be a non-issue. We have added a user called "kids" for those shows that the grandkids like to watch when they stay over, but otherwise 2 would be enough. I suppose if you have several kids old enough to choose their own shows and/or with different TVs in their rooms, or the adult kids move back in, the limit of 4 could be a problem.

Old 05-24-2023, 12:51 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,019,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I believe what you had was 4 profiles on one account. The change (not really a change, just enforcing their existing rules) is that all four profiles have to be a part of the same household. They are apparently adding an option to add additional locations for $8 each (or so I thought I heard on the news this morning). So If you have a child away at college, you can keep them on your account for $8/mo.

Technically, you've been breaking the terms of your membership for 14 years and getting away with it. Now they're just implementing ways to prevent people from doing just that.

I don't think you're going to be able to keep your big extended family on your account in multiple locations, at least not at significant cost. It's probably time to bump all the freeloaders and tell them all to get their own accounts
Wasnt a rule in the past. In fact Netflix use to encourage people to share their accounts.

Old 05-24-2023, 01:29 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Wasnt a rule in the past. In fact Netflix use to encourage people to share their accounts.

I don't recall that. Why would they ever encourage people to share accounts? They'd never get new subscribers.

Old 05-24-2023, 01:30 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,019,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I don't recall that. Why would they ever encourage people to share accounts? They'd never get new subscribers.
Sharing is love, or something like that was the tweet that they sent out several years ago. It was to make fun of Hulu and there restrictions. Thats why there has been such a back lash about what Netflix is doing.

Old 05-24-2023, 03:44 PM

50,847 posts, read 24,359,728 times
New programming is paid for by subscriptions. So, as for me, a single user, I am not in favor of different households sharing an account.

Old 05-24-2023, 04:59 PM

9,465 posts, read 5,233,195 times
Quote:

I have friends who have used their son's account for years but I don't believe the son has paid for it. Can't blame Netflix for clamping down on that situation. I mean, they are a business after all.

Old 05-25-2023, 05:07 AM

2,719 posts, read 2,219,341 times
How will this work for someone traveling in a RV? Netflix is one reason I got a SmartTV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV