Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2012, 02:32 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,815,237 times

Advertisements

I have to turn the channel when the ASPCA commercials come on. They bring me to tears, and sarah mcLachlan doesn't help!

The m&ms commercials are a little creepy. Especially the latest one. All the talk about being eaten reminds me of the old "Sorry Charlie" tuna commercials. I never understood that - was Charlie suicidal, or what??

vintage Star-Kist commercial 1980 - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 03:17 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
The worst commercials are the ASPCA commercials. There are some low-life people in this world.
I don't think they are the worst. If they bring in money to help the animals, that's all that counts.

Every time I see one I hug my kitty who was a rescue kitty and in pretty bad shape when I got her. I am so glad she wound up in a great no-kill shelter where they took good care of her until I came and adopted her.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:10 PM

187 posts, read 442,891 times
That McDonald's commercial:

♪♪I'm in love with a McDonald's Girl♪♪

It's apparently advertising their coffee, but it shows a male customer looking longingly at the cashier and (gasp) the older lady whose pouring his coffee. She looks up at him and quickly looks down in a flirty manner.

I just don't get how the song ties in with the commercial..

Old 01-21-2012, 05:18 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Worst!!
HELP HELP I can't get up
She's so helpless, she can't even push a button! pleeeeze

Old 01-22-2012, 08:57 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Have it your way, but I don't understand why you would say they are among the worst commercials.
I think he/she meant 'worse' in terms of sad. The person did not say that they were not effective or should not be aired. I think he/she agrees with you.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:20 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
The radio commercials I hate are OnStar commercials. They always have the most hysterical people on there, even if are not hurt.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:50 PM

8,071 posts, read 4,746,263 times
Those OnStar commercials are just begging to be spoofed. I'd like it if someone could combine the hysterical OnStar people with the people who call 911 with ridiculous "emergencies" like McDonalds not giving them enough ketchup at the drive-thru or something.

I'd also like it if Geico would hand that "whee" pig over to the Jimmy Dean sausage people for a "crossover" of sorts.

I love the USPS mailman hawking the "one size ships" boxes. He's adorable, and he really nails that "horror" reaction when the clown doll is freaking out that family. Don't blink! [/Doctor Who]

The Nationwide Insurance "announcer guy" ("Na-tion-wide is on your side!") is a dead ringer for a guy who used to work with me, so I have grown to like the commercials, though the one with the hand shadows on the walls is beyond stupid.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:54 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,194,146 times
The worse commercial right is the pig on the zip line. The squealing makes it annoying.

Here are some of the commercials I remember most dating back to the mid to late 80s. I am not saying these commercials are good, in fact some are bad, but these commercials have stood the test of time in my opinion or at least are memorable.

In no order

SUBWAY
- I don't if the director was trying to acheive sexual innuendo with this commercial, but when the cute girls say "any foot long", what am I to think?

Any Five Dollar Footlong - YouTube

FREE CREDIT REPORT
- There were a dozen of these commercials made, but the two I like where the Credit Roller Coaster and the Hip Hop one. I have seen the new band for Free Credit Score. Not memorable at all.

NEW FreeCreditReport.com Commercial "Roller Coaster" - YouTube

The new free credit report . com commercial!!! - YouTube

JG WENTWORTH - JG Wentworth produced 3 commercials with opera singing. The bus one is the best in my opinion.

J.G. Wentworth - Bus Opera Video - YouTube

STETSON COLOGNE - Holiday Commercial from the early 90s. I think it was singing that make me remember all these years.

Stetson Cologne Holiday Commercial - YouTube

CRYSTAL CLEAR PEPSI - Does anyone remember Pepsi looking clear? Well they used Van Halen's song "Right Now" for the commercial, so every time I hear that song I am thinking Crystal Clear Pepsi: a soft drink that has not seen the day of light since 1992, I think.

Crystal Clear Pepsi commercial - YouTube

GUESS WHO GAME - "Game cards do not actually talk"

Guess Who Commercial - YouTube

JUICY FRUIT/BIG RED -"Get your skis shined up, grab a stick of Juicy Fruit!" or if you chew big red gum, love is in the air!

1989 Juicy Fruit Commercial - "Skiing" Variant (1991) - YouTube

Big Red Commercial - YouTube

These next three I do not have a favorite commercial for, but when I walk past these items in the grocery store I can automatically recall the commercial jingle:

Almond/Mound Candies - "Sometimes you feel like a nut and sometimes you don't."

Rice a Roni- "The San Fransisco Treat" DING DING.

Klondike Bar "What would you dooooooooo for a Klondike Bar"

Of course there a few more here and there, but I think these 9 are my favorite or at least memorable!

Old 01-24-2012, 06:38 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
These annoying hipster Heinekin commercials.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:54 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
The Jackson-Hewitt tax preparation ones with "dancing".

I kind of -like isn't the word exactly- the Heineken commercials.

The people are too well dressed and groomed to be hipsters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV