Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 10:28 AM

3,320 posts, read 4,131,452 times

Advertisements

Yes, the Beav and Andy Griffith are certainly classics but I would like to see more variety. How long has it been since they showed Bob Newhart, MTM, Taxi, One Day at a Time, Alice, anyone remember the popular late 70"s series "Family" ? There's alot of shows they could run for short periods just till they run thru all the episodes then move on to something else. Show's like All in the Family, Good Times, MASH, Cosby, Jeffersons, Andy Griffith, have been shown so much they are getting tired, they run them into the ground, Give us something we haven't seen in a while.

The Game Show Channel used to be pretty good too about showing a huge variety of old game shows, even showing some old black and white game shows. 10,000 Pyramid, Jokers Wild, Card Sharks, Price is Right, Treasure Hunt, Blockbusters, Password, now they show newer programing that doesn't have the novelty factor, kind of lame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 11:54 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I think this is part of the problem. Broadcasting old shows that nobody really likes. Leave it to Beaver and Andy Griffith marathons are not going to draw a substantial audience. You can't keep showing the same old crap over and over again and expect to keep an audience. There should have been more variety in their programming. They should have stuck with stuff from the 60's and 70's like The Fugitive, Dragnet, Rockford Files, Barney Miller, Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, I Dream of Jeannie, Taxi, Mannix, Night Gallery and all the shows that an entire generation of watchers missed out on.
Yeah I guess that is there way of trying to stll give classic tv fans something classic. That Highschool Renuion needs to go.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Yes, the Beav and Andy Griffith are certainly classics but I would like to see more variety. How long has it been since they showed Bob Newhart, MTM, Taxi, One Day at a Time, Alice, anyone remember the popular late 70"s series "Family" ? There's alot of shows they could run for short periods just till they run thru all the episodes then move on to something else. Show's like All in the Family, Good Times, MASH, Cosby, Jeffersons, Andy Griffith, have been shown so much they are getting tired, they run them into the ground, Give us something we haven't seen in a while.

The Game Show Channel used to be pretty good too about showing a huge variety of old game shows, even showing some old black and white game shows. 10,000 Pyramid, Jokers Wild, Card Sharks, Price is Right, Treasure Hunt, Blockbusters, Password, now they show newer programing that doesn't have the novelty factor, kind of lame.

The 70's shows I would like to see is Rhoda, Choco and the Man, and Maty Tyler Moore. I'm so sick of Sanford and Son and Good Times

Old 03-16-2009, 01:38 PM

7,065 posts, read 3,106,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Really? The name of the "TV land Rep?" how about the date you met this person? okay, rough estimate of when they alledgedly told you this, maybe where and when then?

If you go on the TVLand website forum there is a person called the TVLINK that oversees the whole forum. You can ask him questions and he will answer. So, yes, he is a rep for the channel. Maybe that is who TVandSportsGuy is talking about.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:43 PM

7,065 posts, read 3,106,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I think this is part of the problem. Broadcasting old shows that nobody really likes. Leave it to Beaver and Andy Griffith marathons are not going to draw a substantial audience. You can't keep showing the same old crap over and over again and expect to keep an audience. There should have been more variety in their programming. They should have stuck with stuff from the 60's and 70's like The Fugitive, Dragnet, Rockford Files, Barney Miller, Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, I Dream of Jeannie, Taxi, Mannix, Night Gallery and all the shows that an entire generation of watchers missed out on.
The Andy Griffith Show draws the largest amount of viewership than any other tv classic show on TVLand. Especially with the marathon shows.

But I do agree they should have more of a variety.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missncr View Post
If you go on the TVLand website forum there is a person called the TVLINK that oversees the whole forum. You can ask him questions and he will answer. So, yes, he is a rep for the channel. Maybe that is who TVandSportsGuy is talking about.

Thank You, that's why I didn't even bother to respond to his nonsense.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:03 PM

250 posts, read 905,791 times
Quote:

With Fios, I get a couple of channels that run classic TV:
ALN American Life Network,
FamilyNet,
WGN America
Hallmark

And some people are fortunate to get RTN, which is available over-the-air on a subchannel of a main network.

Combined, I think this totally eliminates the need for TV Land. If Viacom says its not profitable to run classic TV, maybe they should switch the format further, channel name of TV Land and call it a day already.

I get thisTV which airs old movies. With my Tivo and Fios, there were just too many channels on my channel list, so I removed some channels that I have no need for, including TV Land.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:05 PM

250 posts, read 905,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missncr View Post
The Andy Griffith Show draws the largest amount of viewership than any other tv classic show on TVLand. Especially with the marathon shows.

But I do agree they should have more of a variety.
But its not even enjoyable on TVLand. They air popups, cut off the closing credits, usually plug the prime-time reality TV show, and air more commercials than I've seen elsewhere.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwayfan View Post
But its not even enjoyable on TVLand. They air popups, cut off the closing credits, usually plug the prime-time reality TV show, and air more commercials than I've seen elsewhere.

that's the main thing i hate about n@n and tvland, the way they destroy the closing credits

Old 03-17-2009, 05:05 PM

1,722 posts, read 3,749,508 times
Quote:
I definately agree with this statement. I used to love GSN and now I only watch LMAD and Press Your Luck...sometimes Password Plus but that's it. I don't like any of the newer shows they insist on showing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV