Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2009, 06:38 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,676,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
Mika needed to stop freaking and just do it! Good grief-this isn't Sesame Street.Face your fears or don't go on Amazing Race!!!!!!!!! Team Globetrotters didn't act badly-I would have done the same thing. 2 minutes seperated them from being eliminated or staying in the game.
There have been tasks involving heights many times on Amazing Race. If you can't do heights, don't go on Amazing Race. It's a parallel to expecting someone with a squeamish stomach to succeed on Survivor. These programs have been on long enough for people to know what to expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 07:02 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
I had no sympathy for Mika. I'm glad the Globetrotters are still in.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:33 AM

42 posts, read 186,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
There have been tasks involving heights many times on Amazing Race. If you can't do heights, don't go on Amazing Race. It's a parallel to expecting someone with a squeamish stomach to succeed on Survivor. These programs have been on long enough for people to know what to expect.

This is so true. Did she not know beforehand that there would possibly be height-involved activities? As for that challenge, I blame her partner. Sure he was upset but a calm, soothing approach to facing her fears may have resulted in a different outcome. He had plenty of time to gently convince her to realize that she wasn't going to get hurt by just closing her eyes and letting go. Sorry, but they deserve to get booted. I just don't think all the blame should be on her shoulders.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:15 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
I don't think Mika would have gone down that slide no matter what her partner did.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:24 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,577,840 times
I think her mind was made up that she wasn't going down and that was that. The problem is she "over thought" it. I'm no fan of heights, but I find when I "over think" it it makes it worst. In her situation I would have just closed my eyes and thrown myself down it without thinking about it.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:28 AM

750 posts, read 1,434,875 times
I just shook my head at Mika. Isn't there some kind of age requirement? She acted and sounded like a 4 year old. Gaaah!

My thinking, probably not very generous, I admit, is that if you've got all those fears of heights, water, life in general, get to a therapist and DO SOMETHING about it. Don't go on a TV show that you know will require you to get outside your fears or panicky neuroses and think you'll be able to cope when the challenge inevitably occurs.

These "little girl" (eeeek! I'm soooo scared of fill-in-the-blank) personalities make me want to hurl. Playing the weakling victim because you think it will bring out his manly-man response to protect you?

As Dr. Phil would say, "How's that workin' for you, Mika?"

Old 10-26-2009, 08:44 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,533,449 times
Have any of you gone down one of those water slides? The first time can be awful intimidating, evem for someone who isn't fearful of heights. After what is a long climb up, and it is a long climb, you get to the top and THEN have to face that long steep drop. It looks dangerous, really - even though it isn't. Had Mika not been "pushed" she likely would have made that leap of faith. The action destroyed her trust. By the time the Trotters made it up, her mind had been made up.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:09 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
I think Mika is a big baby and Canaan had better reconsider marrying her cause if she was a baby about a little thing like a water slide what else will she be a baby about ? I wonder if she is an only child . I used to work with a girl like this and she would always get a phone call from her daddy as she called him and he would tell her it is okay baby you dont ever do anything wrong , I heard him on speaker phone . I know daddy I know it is just ppl are mean to me . she was 27 yrs old !!! Grow up will you and daddy cannot take care of everything . she was supposed to be getting married and i wonder if this young man really knew what he was stepping into . Be carefull canaan .

Old 10-26-2009, 09:13 AM

750 posts, read 1,434,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Have any of you gone down one of those water slides? The first time can be awful intimidating, evem for someone who isn't fearful of heights. After what is a long climb up, and it is a long climb, you get to the top and THEN have to face that long steep drop. It looks dangerous, really - even though it isn't. Had Mika not been "pushed" she likely would have made that leap of faith. The action destroyed her trust. By the time the Trotters made it up, her mind had been made up.
I'm sure you're right. Her boyfriend's actions did nothing to help the situation. She was scared, he was frustrated and accusing her of losing their million dollars. Not a good situation. I have gone down one of those long water slides.... adrenalin pumping away!

I still have to wonder why someone goes on the Amazing Race, even fights for a spot in the lineup, knowing full well that they have all of these untreated phobias. Hve they never seen the show? Do they think that shreiking is all it takes to conquer their fears and cure their phobias?

Old 10-26-2009, 09:16 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,712,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I was really liking the Globetrotters guys until they started teasing Mika to not go down the waterslide, as if she weren't scared enough. Really low of them. If this is a game of karma then I hope they are next to go, and that they go out as badly as Mika and her bf did tonight.
They weren’t cruel. They said not to do it, to just walk down. They didn’t make fun of her or talk bad about her. Quite frankly they told her what she wanted her boyfriend to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV