Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 06:39 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times

Advertisements

This TV By The Numbers article says 12.4 million people watch the HBO show True Blood but only 24% of that number or 2.976 million watch it when an episode is first run on Sunday night at 9PM. (P.S. I don't think 2.976 million is too shabby for Pay TV)

37% watch re-runs
24% watch it when it's first run
21% watch DVR playback
18% watch it on HBO On Demand

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/09/19...d-season/27753

My questions regarding any of the TV shows you watch:

1. How many of you watch a TV episode for the first time you view it on the night and time it originally airs? For those that catch an episode for the first time you watch it in some other way, what way is that?

2. Do you think True Blood really has 12.4 million people watching it or are fans watching multiple times in different ways? How many times do you view a single episode of the shows you normally watch?

Personally for me, I watch all 3 of the Law & Order shows but never on NBC and rarely the first time CI is run on USA (True Blood is on then. ). I don't even know the NBC scheduled day or timeslot for the original show or SVU. I watch the 3 Law & Orders on TNT, USA and Bravo.

And True Blood, I watch on Sunday at 9PM on HBO and I watch the re-runs of the episodes on HBO or the other HBO channel and I usually watch them at least 2 - 3 times On Demand (do an end of season marathon of all eps On Demand). I wonder how many times they count me as a viewer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 07:11 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
it varies a lot for me. i watch things when they're first broadcast if i can, but if i miss them, i watch them online. dollhouse, a show i particularly want to support, is on friday nights so i often missed it. even if i didn't miss it i usually played it online just to help its stats.

oh one thing i've noticed since the dvr/online viewing phenomenon began is that there's a lot more blatant product placement in shows. i think that's because people aren't watching the commercials.

Last edited by groar; 09-21-2009 at 08:34 AM..

Old 09-21-2009, 08:37 AM

480 posts, read 878,393 times
We watch most TV shows on DVR, largely to skip the commercials but also because we have two young children and can't watch the "adult" shows until the kids have gone to bed. Once you've had a DVR, I don't know how you can go back to watching TV without it. I find myself trying to hit the instant replay button on my car radio. As our TV viewing time is also limited by life's responsibilities, we also find that we can watch more TV by skipping commercials.

Groar's observation on product placement makes perfect sense to me. Hadn't thought about that before, but I know advertisers aren't getting their money's worth from us on traditional commercials.

I can see how watching shows via internet would be appealing to those who have the right set-up, but we don't (small monitor, regular speakers, etc.) We have a broadband connection but videos still get hung up. It's quite annoying and doesn't lend itself to a pleasant viewing experience.

We also like watching shows on DVD, for the convenience and closed captioning. My husband and I both have suffered slight hearing loss over the years, and the subtitles on most DVDs are far superior to the live version.

Netflix is also a huge bargain that has changed our viewing habits. We often rent entire series so we can watch without waiting a week to find out what happens next.

I think the networks are missing the boat by not making more of their series available on demand. I'd pay for the convenience of watching Mad Men or some other hot, new show whenever I felt like it.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:13 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisake View Post
I think the networks are missing the boat by not making more of their series available on demand. I'd pay for the convenience of watching Mad Men or some other hot, new show whenever I felt like it.

Just my 2 cents.
But Mad Men is On Demand. I just checked. It's there back to episode 1.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:34 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,782,413 times
I don't use a DVR, but my mom does all the time.

The major why my viewing habits have changed is that I just about never watch anything on a major network station (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) anymore.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:59 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
I'm a huge DVR fanatic!

Trueblood I tend to watch on Monday nights. All of my TV viewing is based on the next night. Some of the shows I watch, stay in the DVR until I hit a drought period. I hear the story line from other folks, but I still watch it later.

Like Heroes tonight. I have freinds who have been waiting in antcipation for it, and are rabid for the show tonight. For me, it can wait till tomorrow, with no commercials. At the very least, I'll record an hour of it, then watch it while the other hour records, no commercials that way either.

The only problem I get with DVR, is that hour TV shows can be a little long, even on HBO for me. I have found myself fast forwarding through the slow parts of the plot, to get to the good part.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:02 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I don't think I've watched a TV show live, except for some sports programming, for 25 years.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:14 PM

480 posts, read 878,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
But Mad Men is On Demand. I just checked. It's there back to episode 1.
Thanks, I'll look for it!

Old 09-21-2009, 02:16 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
I put anything I want to watch on DVR and watch it later. I can speed through commercials, and I work nights anyhow. So I'm working while the shows are on.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:27 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,656 times
Personally, I rarely watch TV anymore. I catch the entertainment programs I want on Hulu or some other similar online forum or I just go without. Except for football games, there's not much I try to see during the first run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV