Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2009, 02:10 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,587,532 times

Advertisements

I was so happy when my husband and I decided to get cable and espescially pleased that TLC still had the A Baby Story. ( However I was disappointed that " A Wedding Story" was no longer shown) . Unfortunately I grew bored with ABS after watching a few episodes. It was almost always the same ( 1. white collared 2. married 3. caucasion couple 4.a. having their first child b. usually a boy 5. living in a higher income suburban or exurban neighborhood with cookie cutter homes and a shiny SUV in their driveway 6. almost always in the New York City metro area ) Even though I am happy for these people that their baby is healthy and mother is doing fine and I certainly don't hate anyone, it gets old after awhile. Can't TLC show more episodes outside that " box" I described above such as 1. blue collar or working class Joe or Jane 2. other life styles such as single parents, interracial couples, couples not yet married and even same sex couples 3. more racially diverse parents 4.a. larger families, blended families or even extended families living with the birth mother or perhaps multiple births -twins, triplets or even more b. more girls 5.older blue collar and/ or urban neighborhoods 6. other urban areas beside NYC and especially it's suburbs ( c'mon give me a break!) In today's world , babies of BOTH genders are born to ALL kinds of mothers- why can't their births be shared and celebrated with TLC 's A Baby Story viewers? Also these newer episodes are not that great because in the beginning of the show the mother is already lying on the hospital bed in the delivery room and her Labor is just being dragged out and she is suffering in great pain. That lasts until almost the end of the episode when the baby is finally born. The older episodes were better IMO when they showed the mom in happier times such as baby showers, family dinners , barbeques etc. surrounded by her loved ones as she awaits the arrival of her child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV