Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 09:28 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,524,319 times

Advertisements

My wife and I don't get HBO or Showtime, but rather subscribe to NetFlix, where we can rent the excellent HBO/SHowtime series. We love the fact that we can watch a whole series in continuity from beginning to end. So far, we've done this with Six Feet Under, The Sopranos and we just finished The Wire. In between The Sopranos and The Wire we rented Weeds and Big Love...but we don't like breaking up the seasons and would rather wait until the series has finished and is available in its entirety.

Please provide recommendations for the next series that we should watch. We're not much into SciFi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 10:20 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,878,826 times
It's not HBO, but since you liked The Wire, Homicide:Life on the Streets is worth a rewatch.

If you've got a strong stomach for violence, then Oz and Deadwood can be interesting.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:21 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,691,367 times
Lost, The shield, Dexter, Battle Star Galactica if you are into that stuff, Firefly if you are into sci fi as well. Prison break, Friday Night Lights, Man Vs wild if you are into that type of thing, Californication(sexually explicit though), Entourage, Nip Tuck, Rome, The West Wing, Deadwood, Sleeper Cell, Band of Brothers is/was amazing if you like war type shows, Heroes although i think its crap after the first season, Jericho,

Old 12-07-2009, 10:23 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,475,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Please provide recommendations for the next series that we should watch. We're not much into SciFi.
Oz. I can't believe you haven't watched it already. While some of the plot design is loopy and I feel really badly for some of the lines the actors had to do, the overall ambience and feel is frightfully convincing. Chris Meloni, Rita Moreno, Ernie Hudson, Kristin Rohde, Chuck Zito, Eamonn Walker, B.D. Wong, Edie Falco, Zeljko Ivanek, J.K. Simmons, Kirk Acevedo, Kathryn Erbe, and many more. Rated a very strong R. Six seasons, one of which is a double season.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:31 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,691,367 times
I would have recommended OZ but he said hes going to be watching it with his wife. I would doubt they would want to watch men rape each other in prison every other episode. Not to mention it has zero plot other than murdering each other every episode.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:11 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,475,961 times
Women end up watching a lot of women sexually humiliated and abused on TV (I often wonder how any non-misogynist can want to watch Lifetime, because all I ever seem to see on there is women being brutalized and terrorized), so I think they're used to it and might find it a novelty when it's depicted happening to men instead for once. I think both the Wittlesey and Howell characters would be compelling for women, each in her own way: the struggling, abused trailer trash single mom and the psychotic female sexual predator. There's no doubt the show has a lot of murder, at least one dead man per episode, often in baroque ways. But it has some of the most interesting, entertaining characters I've seen.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:13 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,490,309 times
Another vote for Friday Night Lights....currently our favorite....

Old 12-07-2009, 11:21 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,656,386 times
I would suggest the shield, rescue me, entourage, true blood, band of brothers, generation kill, from earth to the moon, also, from amc mad men.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:38 AM

OZ is the prison series, correct? My wife was able to handle the violence on The Sopranos and The Wire...is it worse than those two? Also, Six Feet Under had a graphic homesexual scene or two that she was able to get by.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Lost, The shield, Dexter, Battle Star Galactica if you are into that stuff, Firefly if you are into sci fi as well. Prison break, Friday Night Lights, Man Vs wild if you are into that type of thing, Californication(sexually explicit though), Entourage, Nip Tuck, Rome, The West Wing, Deadwood, Sleeper Cell, Band of Brothers is/was amazing if you like war type shows, Heroes although i think its crap after the first season, Jericho,
I might check out Deadwood. Thx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV