Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 03:00 PM

837 posts, read 1,710,446 times

Advertisements

The George Burns and Gracie Allen show
The Jack Benny Show
And how can any one forget The Ed Sullivan Show?--He introduced us to so many of our favorite musicians

And for those of you with really good memories--What about The Howdy Doody Show?
Doodyville! It's Howdy Doody Time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 04:57 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
The Jack Benny Show
And how can any one forget The Ed Sullivan Show?--He introduced us to so many of our favorite musicians

And for those of you with really good memories--What about The Howdy Doody Show?

I named my daughter Gracie so each night I can say "Say goodnight Gracie." And she responds "Goodnight Gracie."

I remember the Howdy Doody show vaguely. I think it went off the air when I was around 3 or 4 years of age.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:15 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,694,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
The Jack Benny Show

In our area Howdy Doody was the first daytime show to air, so I would stare at the test pattern waiting for it to start. Other favorites were movies which were serialized for TV, in 15 minute segments per day. Two of these were "Don Winslow of the Navy" and "Last of the Mohicans," the latter which can be viewed here, after two short ads:
Hulu - The Last of the Mohicans (1936) - Watch the full feature film now. (http://www.hulu.com/watch/61166/the-last-of-the-mohicans-1936 - broken link)

Originally there were just two families in our neighborhood with TV's, so everyone would gather to watch "Crusade in the Pacific" and "The Milton Berle Show," and the hosts even provided popcorn.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:12 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
You can buy them here:
Old Time Radio Catalog: Classic Radio | Golden Age of Radio -

If you want them for free, you can download them in mp3 format from Usernet Newsgroups.
Except for maybe one or two lost episodes, you can find every old radio show that was ever broadcast.
But, you might have to subscribe to a news server like newsguys.com if your isp doesn't provide expanded newsgroup access.
I appreciate that information Fat Freddy. I will do a search on my newsreader for old time radio groups. I made a news years resolution to discontinue my Cable TV and only watch DVD's on the TV or Hulu.com on the computer and listen to the radio for news. I must admit an addiction to You Tube though. In fact I am looking at video cameras and have plans to upload some stuff to You Tube.
GL2

Old 01-18-2010, 09:17 PM

80 posts, read 219,430 times
Hazel
The Outer Limits
Please Don't Eat the Daisies
Polka Parade
Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom
To Tell the Truth
Art Linkletter (I may have butchered his name)
Julia
Soupy Sales
The Avengers

Old 01-18-2010, 09:43 PM

8,481 posts, read 6,886,522 times
The very earliest television show I can remember watching was the children's show Kukla Fran and Ollie around 1950. Our family lived in rural Ohio and we had one of the first sets in the area. For proper reception my Dad had to install a 40' antenna tower.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:51 AM

12,420 posts, read 3,231,602 times
Remember My Favorite Martian and Apple/s Way?

Old 01-19-2010, 09:04 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
...I will do a search on my newsreader for old time radio groups...
You might also check out audiobook groups.
I love having stories read to me, especially when I'm driving.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:22 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
You might also check out audiobook groups.
I love having stories read to me, especially when I'm driving.
Same here. I get two or three audio books from the library every week. I set them up in the CD player beside my bed and when the light goes off I turn the CD on. If I am lucky I don't fall asleep until the side plays through, usually about 80 minutes IIRC. I passed up a deal on a five disc CD changer last week because I figured if I listened to CD's all night I never would get to sleep.
GL2

Old 01-19-2010, 02:10 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
Taxi
Sanford and Son
All in the Family
Honeymooners
Twilight Zone
Rockford Files
Beretta
Columbo
Kojak
MASH
Barney Miller
Odd Couple
I Dream of Jeannie

To bad TV Land doesn't play more of these. Lately they've been playing a lot of reality TV (High School Reunion) and the same old shows that I did NOT like, such as Leave it to Beaver and Andy Griffith. There's too many good shows out there to be stuck with the same old repeats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV