Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2010, 12:47 AM

165 posts, read 596,072 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving in a few weeks and need your guys' opinion.

Right now I have DirecTV and the only complaint I have is that the channel guide has an annoying delay. I'm aware that AT&T U-verse doesn't have that delay, but don't know anything else about it. I'm pretty much ruling out Comcast (our local TV service) and Dish Network already.

I'm leaning toward U-verse because AT&T can also provide internet, but what are your opinions? I know that they sometimes give pretty cool incentives to new customers, know of any? I remember Comcast giving away free Wiis one time.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 09:53 AM

121 posts, read 221,316 times
Why are you ruling out Dish? We live in a rural area and Directv and Dish are our only options, I was wondering about Dish as it seems less expensive.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandthee View Post
Why are you ruling out Dish? We live in a rural area and Directv and Dish are our only options, I was wondering about Dish as it seems less expensive.
I had Dish Network for a month and realized it didn't compare to DirecTV

Old 05-13-2010, 01:42 PM

10,178 posts, read 11,162,146 times
I had U-verse. The only reason i got rid of it, I got "Wow" Cable cheaper. Trying to save a few bucks a month...

The internet - I never once had problems with. Always stayed connected. Very reliable for me..

The TV service, once in a while it would freeze up.

What I loved about U-verse - you don't need a home phone and the DVR box allowed us to record 4 shows at a time and you could watch, record on any tv...At least we were able to...

I'd call them up and see if they have any incentives for signing up with them. Or check out their website.

I, too, had Dish and DirecTV..I will never go back to them.

I think everyone has their own personal experiences and I believe a lot has to do with where you live. I lived in KS - DirecTV was awesome. When I moved to another State, it was horrible!!!!

Old 05-13-2010, 02:23 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,969,505 times
I just signed up for Dish today. 2 TV, America top 100 for 32 first year. Second year, 45. All I need to do is call them after the first year and say I want to lower my package to save money and they will figure out a way to make me happy.

I have ATT uverse internet, its amazing. I pay 30 a month for decent speed but more importantly, I can use it ANYWHERE in my home. I use it for Netflix streaming on my ps3, ps3 online gaming, and my sisters latop in her room. I often use the laptop and play my ps3 at the same time.

I use to have the Cable but the quality sucked. It would start skipping like a PPV feed more and more often especially on the weekends. I only had the min package with a DVR and 3 TV's...about 95 a month. For whatever reason, they tax the holy hell out of their cable. 70 for the plan and like 15 in taxes.

IMO, if you have a Netflix streaming device (xbox, some DVD players, PS3, Wii), get Netflix. There are a TON of instant streaming TV series you can watch. I cancelled my ATT cable on 3/17 and I'm just signing up now. I'm not even signing up for me, its for my dad. My dad isn't computer savy which you need to be to handle a PS3 so hes bored alot. If it wasn't for him, I'd probably go another few months before getting Dish.

The Shield all 7 seasons
Rescue Me all 5.5 seasons
Dexter first two seasons
The Tudors first two seasons
Californation at least the first two seasons

That right there is over 125 45-55 min shows. That is over 100 hours of entertainment for 10 bucks a month for Netflix. Plus, you get 1 DVD at a time.

Like I said, if my dad didn't move it...I'd still be doing this. I use Hulu to keep up with Lost and 24 which were the only shows I really followed.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:15 PM

Thanks for the input everyone!

Old 05-14-2010, 05:42 AM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times
We used to have Comcast, now have DirecTV.

Loved Comcast. I love that you can plug a TV into any room & have basic cable.
Their remote was very user friendly; the button set up allows you to use the remote 1 handed. The placement of buttons made it easy to work in the dark as well.

DirecTV - my son works for them. We could have had DTV for the last few years @ a discount price but loved Comcast; even though we hated the price. We were kind of forced to do DTV last year when hubby injured his shoulder; had to do away with unnecessary bills & Comcast TV went. What I dislike about DTV is that we can't just plug a TV into the wall outlet; you have to have a box. The remote; while I'm used to the button placement now; I still have problems finding the off button.

Service has been ok. We lost TV once during a really bad storm last year. We did not have issues when it snowed; I'm not sure if my son cleaned the dish off. Our dish is not mounted to the roof.

Son says we need a dish upgrade because there is a newer, better dish. He also said the boxes should be replaced because new equipment came out. We are not having problems.

With DTV - you want to make sure you have a contractor, not subcontractor. The same is true for Comcast (I don't know about Dish). My son works for a really large company Direct Sat USA - they are in NJ, PA, MD, VA (& a few other states). They have white vans that are lettered; say DirecTV. A sub-contractor drives their own vehicle & uses magnetic signs. Sub-contractors don't have the higher standards that contractors do.

As far as Dish; from what he tells me; people need 2 dishes set up verses one with DTV. He's seen a lot of bad wiring jobs.

The time of year to get satellite TV is after the trees leaf out. A lot of problems that my son sees are due to trees after they leaf out. He knows his service area & can usually tell whether someone can get reception just by their address.

Basically, while DTV is fine.. I do miss Comcast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV