Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 07:42 PM

56 posts, read 152,992 times

Advertisements

The good ole days:

Who remembers when Plaza Carolina had the arcade in the food court?

Who remembers when the airport couldnt be seen from the Baldorioty highway cause the trees and grass covered the view?

Who remembers when Macys wasnt yet built for Plaza las Americas?

Who remembers when the Choliseo and Cionvention Center didnt exist?

Who remembers when the Tren Urbano train wasnt even though of being built yet?

Who remmebers when reggaeton music was "practically" illegal to own or sell?

Who remembers when Menudo was the best?

Who remembers when Roberto Clemente died?

Who remembers when Rosello was governor?

Who remembers when real nice artistic graffiti murals were EVERYWHERE?

Who remembers when it was called Club Egipto?

Who remembers when "la 15" was full of vice 100 times more than today?

Who remembers when Condado had that convention center in it thats now that open nice park area?

Who remembers the crazy styles and fads that all had their 15 minutes, like the bole sunglasses, the bobo in the mouth, the busca novio haircut, the mitsubishi mirage being the only car desired, when every car had loud loud bass, cartier earings, bad boy logo stickers on cars, when tattoos where rare and only on the upper arm by the shoulder?

Who remembers the fire in the hotel I forgot the name?

Who remembers the destruction of Hurracane Hugo?

Who remembers when wal mart and sams club and home depot and all those neighborhoods behind it by the carolina san juan border on the 65 did not exist at all?

Share your own memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 09:43 PM

238 posts, read 1,071,221 times
Nice idea for a thread, though I should add the idea of Tren Urbano has existed since the 50's, the gov chose highways over metro.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:31 PM

355 posts, read 1,046,926 times
Wow, I remember all those things username3. Except for the day Roberto Clemente died, I have no recollection of that. Makes me feel kinda old. My nephews wouldn't know what I would be talking about.

A memory of mine from high school, when the Mirage fad was fading, the 5.0 Mustang was at the same level as a BMW or Mercedes. LOL

Old 08-25-2010, 11:05 AM

Nah I dont remember him dying either, but I wanted to get some other genrations involved.

Who remembers:

Killing lizards with BB guns?
When the metro area had alleys!? Yes, I remember when there were alleys!
When Woolworth was still around in some places? Man walgreens beat them badly.
The Comic book fad?
The Skateboard and rollerskate fad? Even cops were on rollerskates in uniform! And Sams club employees!
When trinidad beat de la hoya and miss universe one the next day?
Every guy dying their hair blonde?
When 106.9 La Mega only played American english top 40 hits.
All the nuyoricans?
Las Acasias housing and Berwynd housing being demolished?
The movie theatre in Plaza Carolina, the old old one, not the new old one.
La Feria 2000?
Dreads hanging loose, skinny dreads (not braids or fat thick dirty rasta dreads).

Old 08-25-2010, 01:09 PM

238 posts, read 1,071,221 times
What happened to the alleys?

I still see guys dyeing their hair. It's kinda weird cause it's so mainstream.

I remember the 106.9 thing!!! Now there are no stations doing that. It sucks really. It's like what happened to MTV.

Could you tell me more about the housing that got demolished?

Old 08-25-2010, 02:46 PM

I remember when those projects were demolished. It was like a national thing when it happened, everyone watched it. I don't remember the alleys in the Metro Area though.

I remember the old theather at Plaza Carolina. I watched TMNT and Fire in the Sky there, as well as some others. Do you guys remember the theather at Laguna Gardens? That one was old as well.

And the old control tower at the airport, do you remember it? Don't remember if it's still there. Who remembers how Laguna San Jose looked without the Moscoso Bridge.

Wow, I forgot Woolworth completely. Walgreens kicked their butt hard. Now CVS is trying to bring some new competition.

I remember a cousing of mine buying inline skates. He even bought new tires and stuff in order to improve his skating. Never got the hang of it.

Don't remember guys dying their hair. This one's new to me.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:58 PM

The alleys, well, they got closed up, walls were put up by the gov. Then there were boxes of no mans land in the neighporhoods that had alleys. It was not everywhere, mainly in neighborhoods built aroun 1960-70s I think, something like that.

The projects got demolished, well, Berwyng used to be much more highrise towers than it is now, around 1999 they knocked down like 5 of the towers, leaving 2 I beleive still there now. Its on the 65th infantry steet.
Las Acasias were humongous highrise projects right before the t.moscoso bridge, they were abandoned for about 5 years before getting knocked down in aroun 1997 I think.

In plaza carolina i watched nightmare on elms street! ahah Freddy Kruger!.

I definetly remember the San Jose Lagoon before the bridge.

Do you remember:

When El Vocero practically covered only the crime and exploited it like crazy?
Eating empanadillas/limber at/after school?
The Telefonica strikes?

Old 08-25-2010, 08:27 PM

17 posts, read 46,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by username3 View Post
Who remembers:
When 106.9 La Mega only played American english top 40 hits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davsot View Post
I remember the 106.9 thing!!! Now there are no stations doing that. It sucks really. It's like what happened to MTV.
Man, those were the good days. Now EVERY radio station plays pretty much the SAME music 24/7. Sometimes I think to myself that if I had the knowledge and money, I would build an American top 40 hits radio station. The market certainly is here for it to happen.

Anyhow, every time I find myself behind the wheel I tend to avoid the local stations. I either plug in my iPod or since I have Sprint, my phone has a Sprint App that plays a variety of radio stations from the mainland.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:39 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,175,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by username3 View Post
The Telefonica strikes?
I remember Fortunata, the cow, when Rosselló was trying to sell the PRTC. Also, who remembers Farmacias Moscoso and Banco de Ponce.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:52 AM

Wow, still don't remember those alleys.

Fortunata! LOL I've forgotten all about that. I remember all the news about the stikes.

I remember going to Farmacias Moscoso. Are there still Conchitas around? The last one I remember was on Barbosa Ave. Wonder if it's still there.

Of course I remember limbers. Next door neighbor used to sell 'em. My brother and I went there at least twice a week.

Who remember when Pueblo & Extra were separate businesses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories