Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2010, 02:03 AM

888 posts, read 887,280 times

Advertisements

I would like to know if there is anyone here that moved to San Juan in the recent past without a professional job lined up but ended up finding one.

I am talking about people with at least a Bachelors and maybe MBA and with some professional experience already on their resume. I realize salaries are lower, etc., I just want to hear some success stories of finding professional jobs close to their field.

I have considered moving to PR for a while now, but I am now starting to get more serious about it. I am trying to figure out a job search strategy. Ideally, I'd like to line up a job BEFORE moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 07:01 PM

91 posts, read 337,965 times
Can't help you much, but do keep in mind that most people move to the states to find opportunities, not the other way around.

I'm not sure what area are you in, but for instance there are many pharmaceuticals (and few other manufacturers) that are constantly looking for professional talent. Check Monster.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:30 PM

81 posts, read 301,556 times
I think most people here move to the states not to find opportunities but better money. I retired here 6 months ago and have looked in to contracting with a few banks but nothing to serious. When they seen how much i made for what i did they just could'nt believe it. I have no college but i do have 25yrs in banking. It is possible for you to find work here but from what i have seen they would rather have you hear already so there is no travel for interviews and no relocation costs. I wish you luck and hope you end up here some day.

Dean

Old 12-31-2010, 04:36 PM

2,921 posts, read 1,986,978 times
I lived on the island for a year and a half before moving back to the states in July of 2000. It's tough for anyone to find a job on the island, especially if you don't know someone in a position to help get you hired in somewhere. Degree or not...there are many Puerto Ricans who obtained their degrees thanks to Pell grants, and some of them move stateside to find work.

Just guessing you are fluent in Spanish? If not, that will be a major drawback in getting hired into the type of position you're after.

The employment service Manpower had at least a couple offices on the island when I lived there. You might want to check out their website to see what type of positions they have available. I registered with one and there were at least 20 young men and women hanging around the lobby and right outside the front door hoping for a job for at least the day. The lady who interviewed me, absolutely gorgeous by the way, sincerely seemed to want to help me, but was unable (or unwilling).

Maybe a headhunting company could help you before you move, although they would charge I'm sure with no guarantee of finding you a job.

Good luck....Jeff

Old 12-31-2010, 07:10 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynwood View Post
I would like to know if there is anyone here that moved to San Juan in the recent past without a professional job lined up but ended up finding one.

I am talking about people with at least a Bachelors and maybe MBA and with some professional experience already on their resume. I realize salaries are lower, etc., I just want to hear some success stories of finding professional jobs close to their field.

I have considered moving to PR for a while now, but I am now starting to get more serious about it. I am trying to figure out a job search strategy. Ideally, I'd like to line up a job BEFORE moving.
I had an interview during B-school with a recruiter who was looking for people to work in PR for health care companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories