Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 10:45 AM

355 posts, read 717,012 times

Advertisements

A lighthearted question for all the puertorrequeños on this board?

Am I considered a gringo when I visit PR. My grandmother was born and raised in PR but I was born in the states. My family immigrated from Spain to PR in the early 1700's and I have many family members still in PR. So I may be a yankee, but am I a gringo?

Yes I am a little envious, at heart I'm a puertorrequeño but not growing up on the island I know I will never capture the full essence and spirit of puerto rican culture.

Muchas Gracias - unPescador

Old 01-08-2011, 02:51 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times
Yeah you will be considered a gringo. When I go to PR people know that I am not from there because I act and dress very differently from them.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:50 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
In the truest sense of the word, yes. "Gringo" is best translated as "foreigner". Only rarely have I heard the word spoken with derision.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:15 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,189 times
I'll say that it depends more on what's inside of you than in where you were born. So, if you were born in NYC, but your parents taught you to love the island, its customs and traditions, its food and music, then you should fit right in. I know of foreigners that can be considered more Puerto Rican than many who were born on the island (i.e.: Tony Croatto).

On the other hand, most of the New Yorkers of Puerto Rican descent that I have met, have developed a distinct "Nuyorican" culture that is quite different from what you see on the island. Being Puerto Rican is more than just waving the PR flag on the PR day parade.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,156 times
oh yeh , so cool.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:39 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
I'll say that it depends more on what's inside of you than in where you were born. So, if you were born in NYC, but your parents taught you to love the island, its customs and traditions, its food and music, then you should fit right in. I know of foreigners that can be considered more Puerto Rican than many who were born on the island (i.e.: Tony Croatto).

On the other hand, most of the New Yorkers of Puerto Rican descent that I have met, have developed a distinct "Nuyorican" culture that is quite different from what you see on the island. Being Puerto Rican is more than just waving the PR flag on the PR day parade.

It seems that you have never been to NYC. You cannot go by what you see. If you would come to NYC, you will see we do more than just waving the flag. Many of us speaks Spanish, and knows how to "parrandear" like in PR.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:50 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,307,942 times
Default Why!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unPescador View Post
A lighthearted question for all the puertorrequeños on this board?

Am I considered a gringo when I visit PR. My grandmother was born and raised in PR but I was born in the states. My family immigrated from Spain to PR in the early 1700's and I have many family members still in PR. So I may be a yankee, but am I a gringo?

Yes I am a little envious, at heart I'm a puertorrequeño but not growing up on the island I know I will never capture the full essence and spirit of puerto rican culture.

Muchas Gracias - unPescador
You should be proud! Plus, the gringos get all the chicas.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:54 AM

355 posts, read 717,012 times
My gratitude to each of you for your comments. I especially enjoyed the video posted by T7, very cool, thank you. Yes, like each of you I am very proud of my heritage. It's a powerful feeling to walk the streets of Old San Juan knowing I walk in the steps of my abuelos y antepasados. There is a strong pull, a calling back to the island, it is in our blood.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:52 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
It seems that you have never been to NYC. You cannot go by what you see. If you would come to NYC, you will see we do more than just waving the flag. Many of us speaks Spanish, and knows how to "parrandear" like in PR.
I've been several times. It's only a two hour drive from where I live. Also, many NYricans have moved to NE PA in recent years. From my observations:
1. The first generation (those who moved from the island as grown-ups) keep their Puerto Rican traditions and culture alive.
2. The second generation knows verbal Spanish, but are more fluent in English. They know a little bit from PR from visiting with their parents.
3. The third generation knows barely any Spanish and the only thing that they know about PR is that the flag has 3 red stripes, 2 white ones, a blue triangle with a white star in it. And don't get me started on how many times I've seen it inadvertently flown upside down. They might enjoy some PRican cuisine, but they are also more likely to listen to hip-hop and R&B than salsa and bomba y plena.

The exception that I have seen is when families move back and forth between PR and NYC, exposing their kids first hand to both cultures. People that are raised in a different environment are bound to develop different attitudes. You get some from your parents, some from school, and some from your neighborhood. It is not necesarilly a bad thing, it's just the way it is.

I'm experiencing this myself with my kids, who are being raised in the mainland US. A few months back, I was eating at a Mexican restaurant, and they had live mariachis. They swung by my table and I asked them to play "En mi viejo San Juan". Listening to it brought tears to my eyes. As for my kids, they couldn't care less.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:23 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
I lived from 1950-54 in old Fort Brooke which was located inside El Morro fortress. Know almost every square foot of that place.
Loved going to Padine's Department Store in downtown Old San Juan, Condado Beach, the new Caribbe Hilton Hotel, Phosphorescent Bay, Ponce, El Yunque, riding in "pubicos", etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories