Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2011, 07:57 AM

9 posts, read 69,304 times

Advertisements

Planning to go camping in July when I visit the island with my family. Is it generally same to camp in Puerto Rico? Can I leave sleeping bags, pads in the tent during the day when I'm away touring the island? How are the bathrooms in the camp sites are they clean? Is it safe to leave lugggage in the rental van?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 12:43 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,380,836 times
I think it is safe to camp but would never leave equipment unattended. Bathrooms are often dirty. Luggage is probably okay in a locked car. I have just lived here about three years though so it would be good to hear from others who have lived here all their lives.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:38 PM
mym

706 posts, read 1,172,625 times
where you planning to camp?

Old 03-09-2011, 10:56 PM

@mym Have not decided yet. I'm still at the very beginning of the trip research/planning. We'd like to camp at Reserva Natural Bahia Puerto Mosquito, Vieques Island for sure because the difficulty of getting to and back from the island in one day. To add the complexity we have two small children (1 and 4) with us. Is there any camp site you'd recommend?

Old 03-09-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
I think it is safe to camp but would never leave equipment unattended. Bathrooms are often dirty. Luggage is probably okay in a locked car. I have just lived here about three years though so it would be good to hear from others who have lived here all their lives.
How are the bathrooms in the private camp grounds? Any better?
We are planning to visit mostly nature reserves, beaches and trying to stay away from San Juan.
How bad is the rain in July for camping? We plan to ship our gears back to California how much would it cost to ship approx 50lb of gear?

Old 03-10-2011, 06:00 AM

Most of the beaches I go to do not have bathrooms. Those that do may or may not be clean. Unfortunately, I haven't made it to Vieques yet so can't advise you about it. Most of our rain comes in September and October. I would recommend you talk to your local post office and UPS to see which is cheaper for shipping your gear back. I imagine it will depend on how quickly you want/need it.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:40 PM
mym

706 posts, read 1,172,625 times
sorry i know nothing about camping on vieques or culebra other than its possible.

i was thinking maybe the balneario de boqueron but i dont know any info.

Balnearios publicos tend to have facilities such as showers and toilets.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:46 AM

Just stumbled upon this blogpost Ay Mama!: Camping Archives (http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/ay-mama/camping/ - broken link) which made me change my mind about camping in Puerto Rico.

How bad are the jelly fish problems in Puerto Rico?

Old 03-13-2011, 07:28 AM

I have never been stung or been with someone who has in the three years I've been here. I keep a small bottle of vinegar in the car just in case though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories