Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2011, 09:41 AM

80 posts, read 448,539 times

Advertisements

Hola,

I'm looking to study at the graduate level at the University of Puerto Rico and teach English in a school in San Juan or a nearby suburb. I hold a BA in Education, specifically in the teaching of modern languages. Likewise, I had a teaching certification in Modern Languages that has since expired, plus, I'm working currently toward a TESOL certificate. I was a teacher for 6-years, however, for the past 6-years, I have been an at home mom. To prepare myself to return to the classroom, I recently taught English as a volunteer at a Literary Coalition in my community. I'm hoping to relocate to Puerto Rico and get a job at any of the reputable English private schools or bilingual private schools in the metro San Juan area or nearby suburbs.

With my absence from the classroom and expired teaching certificate, what are my chances of actually being hired? Will they hire someone who is presently working on a TESOL certificate and planning to attend graduate school, or will I not be hired by the nicer, reputable English only private schools or bilingual private schools like Baldwin, American Military, Perpetuo Socorro, St. John, Robinson, Commonwealth-Parkville, TASIS, etc without first earning a higher degree?

Any teacher with previous experience in teaching in Puerto Rico...I'd love to hear your story.

Gracias a todos por su ayuda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 05:00 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,738 times
Our situations sound pretty similar...or somewhat anyway. I am getting an MA in Teaching English as a Second Language at Universidad Inter-Americana in San German but my last year I want to make some money and get some real experience. I assume you are certified to teach in some state? I don't know what the expired license means for you... If so you can apply for a licencia provisional with the Department of Education and take the PCMAS which rolls around every spring. There is a general educational theory section in Spanish as well as the English subject matter section which is, well, in English. I will be taking this test this spring bc I am certified only to teach social studies. Be warned though, you go on a list of teachers waiting to get put in a public school...maybe you get put right away, maybe you don't. You get bumped up the list if you have more qualifications like an MA and experience and bumped down if you don't. Private schools are plentiful and are a much better example of how to effectively teach English as a Second Language which can be applied to life, as opposed to a Foreign Language elective subject, but obviously the pay is low (not that publics are so hot either). You should have a good chance getting something private in the Metro Area, because English is in demand there. Here in San German almost no one speaks English and there are still what seems like more little private schools than public. Hope this helps, buena suerte!

Old 10-01-2011, 07:48 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,621,621 times
PRAY FOR A MIRACLE...............!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-04-2011, 11:37 PM

81 posts, read 301,471 times
look at private (bilingual) schools

Old 10-05-2011, 05:54 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExBmWeX View Post
look at private (bilingual) schools
I agree with Ex. This is the way to go about getting a job.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 7,054 times
Default MA TESL at Universidad InterAmericana in San German

I'm interested in the MA TESL program at the University in San German. Can you tell me a little about the program? Would you say it's pretty reputable and accepted in the states? How are the professors and classes? How do you like living in San German in general? Do you know a good website to search for apartments off campus in San German? I would really appreciate any information and advice you can offer me about the program! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Our situations sound pretty similar...or somewhat anyway. I am getting an MA in Teaching English as a Second Language at Universidad Inter-Americana in San German but my last year I want to make some money and get some real experience. I assume you are certified to teach in some state? I don't know what the expired license means for you... If so you can apply for a licencia provisional with the Department of Education and take the PCMAS which rolls around every spring. There is a general educational theory section in Spanish as well as the English subject matter section which is, well, in English. I will be taking this test this spring bc I am certified only to teach social studies. Be warned though, you go on a list of teachers waiting to get put in a public school...maybe you get put right away, maybe you don't. You get bumped up the list if you have more qualifications like an MA and experience and bumped down if you don't. Private schools are plentiful and are a much better example of how to effectively teach English as a Second Language which can be applied to life, as opposed to a Foreign Language elective subject, but obviously the pay is low (not that publics are so hot either). You should have a good chance getting something private in the Metro Area, because English is in demand there. Here in San German almost no one speaks English and there are still what seems like more little private schools than public. Hope this helps, buena suerte!

Old 11-09-2011, 03:45 PM

I was also interested in the MA TESL program at Interamericana, San German campus. However, after I visited Humacao, I realized how unique the smaller towns in Puerto Rico are. There is little to do and unless you have a car, you will have to rely on taxi service as not too many other cities offer public transportation outside of the metro area of San Juan. For this reason, I am going to study in the San Juan area at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras area or at Sagrado Corazon in Santurce. I have heard that the San German campus is one of the best and I was already accepted into the MA TESL program, but I am a parent and would not want to live in such a secluded, small town without my own transportation. I hear taking a publico is slow, so that would not be an option. Besides, there are no English schools in the town for my daughter. I also love the fact that in San Juan, everything is in walking distance. However, I was also told that the San German area is far safer and very welcoming. Let us know how your journey turns out.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:23 AM

JUST AS AN UPDATE....I GOT HIRED! I've heard different salaries from $1,400 a month to $1,800 a month from the various schools I ended up interviewing at. I was fortunate to get the higher end income level.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:46 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,838 times
Congrats Boricua!! You must be on cloud 9!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories