Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you were PR's gov right now, which of the following would you give the highest priority and forem
Police Corruption 5 25.00%
Illegal Immigration 2 10.00%
Waste Management 0 0%
Drug Related Crime 5 25.00%
High Cost of Electricity 0 0%
Jobs and the Economy 8 40.00%
The Proposed 92 Mile Natural Gas Pipeline 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 12:23 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,396,439 times

Advertisements

If you were PR's Gov right now, which of the following would you give the highest priority to:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 09:12 PM

355 posts, read 717,116 times
Like M&M's or potato chips, I can't have just one.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:36 PM

81 posts, read 301,518 times
If I was PR's Gov right now.....I would resign because I dont know what the hell im doing. Really, This jerkoff just drives around in his Jeep Wrangler trying to look pretty. BTW he looks like the PR version of Bob Saget (when he was on Full House). I may be new here but i dont get why they close the schools and business down so frequently? My kids miss more school here than when we lived in Wisconsin (due to snow or windchill).

Old 10-05-2011, 08:26 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,035,334 times
I will rank them: 1.) Police Corruption, 2.) Jobs and the Economy, 3.) Drug-Related Crime, 4.) High Cost of Electricity, 5.) Natural Gas Pipeline, 6.) Illegal Immigration, 7.) Waste Management.

I put those in that particular order because like any other politician he will do what gets him re-elected. Forget the waste management issue, that's someone else's problem down the line. Therefore it will just be passed on to someone else. He probably will get re-elected even though he sucks at life. I am changing my voter registration to here just to try to vote him out, but I doubt it will happen.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
I will rank them: 1.) Police Corruption, 2.) Jobs and the Economy, 3.) Drug-Related Crime, 4.) High Cost of Electricity, 5.) Natural Gas Pipeline, 6.) Illegal Immigration, 7.) Waste Management.

I put those in that particular order because like any other politician he will do what gets him re-elected. Forget the waste management issue, that's someone else's problem down the line. Therefore it will just be passed on to someone else. He probably will get re-elected even though he sucks at life. I am changing my voter registration to here just to try to vote him out, but I doubt it will happen.
Good post! I would focus on jobs and the economy first. Why? I figure, if people are occupied making a decent wage, they will be less inclined to engage in crime. Any type of illegal activity is not worth risking a good salary. Theoretically, crime should deminish as jobs and wages increase.

Secondly, I'd ensure Puerto Rico incorporates at least two (2) Waste-to-Energy plants into its waste management strategy. Waste management is Puerto Rico's least talked about, yet one of its largest dilemmas. Sadly, as you stated, it's a problem that's been kicked down the road since the Rossello administration. In addition, it has been proven that as economies improve, waste generation increases. People buy more stuff (and therefore produce more trash) as individual incomes increase. So, given that my focus would be "jobs and the economy," by default, I must make waste management my secondary priority.

The third thing I'd focus on would be illegal immigration. Illegals tend to come (and people tend to look the other way) when economies improve.

So, I'd let the next adminstration deal with:

1. Police corruption
2. The natural gas pipeline
3. High cost of electricity

Old 10-09-2011, 06:56 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,556 times
If it was up to me, I'll simplify and streamline the process of getting a concealed firearm license and would make it available to anyone without a criminal record. Violent crime on law abiding citizens will plummet after a few criminals get shot by their victims. This has been the experience of 40 states that have passed right-to-carry legislation.

Police corruption in PR isn't as bad as you might think. There's corruption everywhere, and it needs to be dealt with. But as far as I know, the cops aren't soliciting bribes when they pull you over or shaking down merchants for protection money.

PR won't be able to deal with illegal immigration. The Obama administration has sued several states that have tried to deal with it. The only way that PR would be able to deal with it is by becoming independent, and that ain't happening.

The high cost of electricity has to do with PR's overdependence on oil for power generation. Natural gas and coal are the way to go if you want lower prices. Nuclear is cheap and clean, but there's no way the public will accept a nuclear plant after what happened in Japan, being that PR is also prone to earthquakes.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:13 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,366,715 times
"Police corruption in PR isn't as bad as you might think"....

So, you think these reports are either inaccurate or inconsequential ?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/05/us...on-police.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/08/us...pagewanted=all

133 Charged in Puerto Rico Graft Inquiry - NYTimes.com

Corrupt Practices: Puerto Rico: Police corruption undermines drug war

These are on the first of many pages of articles detailing police corruption in the PR Police Department.

Just google puerto rican police corruption.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 10-09-2011, 10:34 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
I think it's time for a non Puerto Rican to run the Commonwealth Police.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:49 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"Police corruption in PR isn't as bad as you might think"....

So, you think these reports are either inaccurate or inconsequential ?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/05/us...on-police.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/08/us...pagewanted=all

133 Charged in Puerto Rico Graft Inquiry - NYTimes.com

Corrupt Practices: Puerto Rico: Police corruption undermines drug war

These are on the first of many pages of articles detailing police corruption in the PR Police Department.

Just google puerto rican police corruption.

Regards
Gemstone1
Read them all and I still stand on my point. There is corruption. No doubt about it. But is nothing compared to the level of corruption that they had in the 1970's. Right now, if you're driving on a road, you don't have to worry about a cop pulling you over for no reason and trying to extort a bribe out of you. If you own a business, you don't have to worry about cops showing up demanding payment for protection. Even if you belong to an opposing political party, you don't have to worry about being harassed for it anymore.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
If it was up to me, I'll simplify and streamline the process of getting a concealed firearm license and would make it available to anyone without a criminal record. Violent crime on law abiding citizens will plummet after a few criminals get shot by their victims. This has been the experience of 40 states that have passed right-to-carry legislation.

Police corruption in PR isn't as bad as you might think. There's corruption everywhere, and it needs to be dealt with. But as far as I know, the cops aren't soliciting bribes when they pull you over or shaking down merchants for protection money.

PR won't be able to deal with illegal immigration. The Obama administration has sued several states that have tried to deal with it. The only way that PR would be able to deal with it is by becoming independent, and that ain't happening.

The high cost of electricity has to do with PR's overdependence on oil for power generation. Natural gas and coal are the way to go if you want lower prices. Nuclear is cheap and clean, but there's no way the public will accept a nuclear plant after what happened in Japan, being that PR is also prone to earthquakes.
I haven't googled "right-to-carry" legislation so I won't argue against your POV on this. However, it strains my mind to imagine a bunch of us Boricuas packing loaded guns during "fiestas patronales, noche de San Juan, 4 de Julio, etc." As most of us know, we tend to drink a bit too much during festivities. Could you imagine a scene where a bunch of drunken people are armed with guns? Be it due to drunkeness or emotions getting the best of us, I cannot imagine it as a good thing to have a bunch of people running around with loaded guns. Just a thought.

As an island, theoretically, it should be relatively easy to control illegal immigration in PR. I don't exactly know how so many illegals have made it into PR. Nonetheless, this is something that can and needs to be tightly controlled through existing laws.

As far as I know, part of the reason for Puerto Rico's high cost of electricity is due to rampant theft. Many persons (including the recently appointed head of the AEE, Alberto Escudero) rig their electrical meters to avoid paying their fair share.

Another reason for the high costs is the import and storage of petroleum based fuels.

You probably know of the coal fired power plant in Guayama. It puts out 454MW which is approximately 15% of the island's energy needs. Even though coal is cheap and abundant, it does require lots of handling and preparation prior to combustion. Dealing and disposing of the fly ash and bottlm ash is a whole other subject. Therefore, handling and preparation of coal prior to combustion, combined with the treatment and disposal of fly ash and bottom ash adds significant costs to this fuel. I'm no ardent proponent of coal. However, I cannot deny its abundance and availability in this part of the world.

Last edited by chacho_keva; 10-10-2011 at 07:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories