Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 07:40 AM

491 posts, read 339,811 times

Advertisements

Sorry Shanna...I just saw in your post that it's in Aguadilla and they serve chicken. I'd love to try it. Has anybody tried Martin's BBQ Yuca Mofongo? Is so good....very smooth and garlicky!!! Yomo!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 10:23 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,397,861 times
I know I'm resuscitating a very old post, but it's a slow night at work and I really like this topic.

I lived in Puerto Rico as a teenager during the 70's. Back then, I took up jogging on a regular basis. The more I jogged, the further out I got. Within months, I was jogging 7 miles from my house in Santa Rita Vega Alta to Cerro Gordo, one of Puerto Rico's most pristine beaches back then.

I only jogged to Cerro Gordo on Sunday mornings so as to avoid speeding traffic which might endanger me as a jogger. Many Sundays I'd get up before my parents, to hunt around the house for any loose change I could find. I'd start jogging upon arriving at #2 Road. I would jog thru Barrio Sabana Hoyos before getting to the beach areas.

As soon as I arrived, I'd find a shady palm tree under which to sit, rest, and enjoy the sound of the lazy waves and the cooling of the offshore breeze. I'd sit for as long or short as I pleased, just starring and taking in the sights and sounds of my surroundings.

It would normally be 12 noon by the time I was done resting. I'd dig the loose change out of my pocket and buy myself one icy cold Corona beer from the one and only store located across from the beach's entrance. I was 17 years old, but nobody checked your ID or asked your age. All you needed was 75 cents to guarantee you'd get an ice cold beer.

After the beer, I'd locate this hard-to-find trail which was mostly known to the locals and to those of us who frequented the beach on a regular basis. Today, the trail is paved and there are signs leading to it.

The trail lead to a jagged set of cliffs overlooking the ocean on the other side of a dense forrest. From the atop, one could hear the thunderous sound of ocean waves crashing against the base of the cliffs. The ocean breeze blew strong and would leave a salty taste in the mouth.

By the time I'd walk back to the beach area, there would be plenty of people around. I'd always find a friend or relative to talk with before slowly making my way back home after the end of yet another beautiful day at the beach.

Miss the simplicity of those days!

Last edited by RaleighLass; 08-17-2010 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: Please don't blind your readers by using all bold:)

Old 08-16-2010, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,397 times
I tried Caldo de Oso this past week, oh my lord, it is delicioso... I was in the area of Jobos Beach, Crashboat, Aguadilla... the Pitorro was strong but it was made with Pinapples so it went down smooth.. oh and we roasted a whole pig... that was so cool to see... and the taste was awesome...

if you have not tried Caldo de Oso... you have to even just once... I brought home a case with me back to the states... :-)

Old 08-16-2010, 07:10 PM

238 posts, read 1,071,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I know I'm resuscitating a very old post, but it's a slow night at work and I really like this topic.

I lived in Puerto Rico as a teenager during the 70's. Back then, I took up jogging on a regular basis. The more I jogged, the further out I got. Within months, I was jogging 7 miles from my house in Santa Rita Vega Alta to Cerro Gordo, one of Puerto Rico's most pristine beaches back then.

I only jogged to Cerro Gordo on Sunday mornings so as to avoid speeding traffic which might endanger me as a jogger. Many Sundays I'd get up before my parents, to hunt around the house for any loose change I could find. I'd start jogging upon arriving at #2 Road. I would jog thru Barrio Sabana Hoyos before getting to the beach areas.

As soon as I arrived, I'd find a shady palm tree under which to sit, rest, and enjoy the sound of the lazy waves and the cooling of the offshore breeze. I'd sit for as long or short as I pleased, just starring and taking in the sights and sounds of my surroundings.

It would normally be 12 noon by the time I was done resting. I'd dig the loose change out of my pocket and buy myself one icy cold Corona beer from the one and only store located across from the beach's entrance. I was 17 years old, but nobody checked your ID or asked your age. All you needed was 75 cents to guarantee you'd get an ice cold beer.

After the beer, I'd locate this hard-to-find trail which was mostly known to the locals and to those of us who frequented the beach on a regular basis. Today, the trail is paved and there are signs leading to it.

The trail lead to a jagged set of cliffs overlooking the ocean on the other side of a dense forrest. From the atop, one could hear the thunderous sound of ocean waves crashing against the base of the cliffs. The ocean breeze blew strong and would leave a salty taste in the mouth.

By the time I'd walk back to the beach area, there would be plenty of people around. I'd always find a friend or relative to talk with before slowly making my way back home after the end of yet another beautiful day at the beach.

Miss the simplicity of those days!
Moderator cut: removed Spanish text, in English only please! Hi, I'm from Vega Alta!

Last edited by RaleighLass; 08-17-2010 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: removed bold in quoted post, removed Spanish, added English
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories