Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 07:50 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,601,354 times

Advertisements

You think it's going to happen?

I saw it originally with the CNN app on my phone, but since I can't find it from here, here's an older article:
Where the Candidates Stand on Puerto Rican Statehood | Fox News Latino
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 08:21 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
I think you're dreaming where the title of your thread is concerned as to the best of my knowledge no such ultimatum has even been contemplated. The 6 month old article which you linked simply reports the individual candidate's opinions on the right of Puerto Ricans to determine their own status by referendum and on which they all of course agree. An ultimatum by the President? Very funny.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:53 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
The problem is that certain options on the referendum are not approved by the Federal government; most notably "ELA Soberano"/'Sovereign Commonwealth".

The only approved options are Statehood, the colonial/territorial Commonwealth (aka the status quo), and independence (with or without a Compact of Free Association that Congress has said would NOT include US citizenship and blank checks from Uncle Sam). "ELA Soberano" would thus require full independence first and then the Free Association deal be worked out.

Also the Democratic Party has never specifically ruled out the status quo. The Republican Party is however exclusively either statehood or independence, get in or get out.

What Obama and the Dems said was that status needs to be resolved, they did not specific which status they prefer - most likely to avoid alienating the pro-commonwealth PPD which is linked with the national Democratic Party.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:13 PM

529 posts, read 1,087,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
You think it's going to happen?

I saw it originally with the CNN app on my phone, but since I can't find it from here, here's an older article:
Where the Candidates Stand on Puerto Rican Statehood | Fox News Latino
This would be a gift to the Republicans. That's all Obama needs to surely loose this election, he's on a thin thread as it is.

Think about It:

Even the thought of admitting Puerto Rico would put the Conservatives and Tea Party in hysteria mode. If it ever happened the island would have more political represenation in Congress than 27 states. It'll be a state where 90% doesn't understand English, and 60% live on the dole. Statehood will give us $$$$ parity with the other 50 states without paying much federal taxes because most PR's live under the federal poverty line.

Now come on, how is this in the best interests of the United States when whites feel threatened that they'll loose political power to exploding non-white populations?

Although Puerto Ricans won't kill the goose that lays the golden eggs, that doesn't mean Americans won't kill it for us and present us with another deal more in tune with THEIR NATIONAL INTERESTS.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:38 PM

52 posts, read 178,773 times
Most people that I met in San Juan did speak English and Spanish. Puerto Rico should have been a state 30 years ago.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:50 AM

There are alot of Republicans in Puerto Rico ... and they arent RINOs either. People have to understand that island Puerto Ricans are NOT the same as Nuyoricans.

Who cares about language. Just because one does not speak English does not mean they cannot share the same values and beliefs.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:33 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
There are alot of Republicans in Puerto Rico ... and they arent RINOs either. People have to understand that island Puerto Ricans are NOT the same as Nuyoricans.

Who cares about language. Just because one does not speak English does not mean they cannot share the same values and beliefs.
The vast majority of republicans in the US would disagree about language. I'm not a republican.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:38 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,601,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post

Kind of what I was thinking...

For convenience, it would be nice to phase English in... but that isn't as important as what it is being made out to be...

(PS: I am a right-leaning Libertarian)

Old 10-14-2012, 02:52 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,396,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Kind of what I was thinking...

For convenience, it would be nice to phase English in... but that isn't as important as what it is being made out to be...

(PS: I am a right-leaning Libertarian)
I completely disagree! It is, not merely important, but CRITICAL that residents in Puerto Rico - a territory of English speaking USA - be fluent English speakers.

English is the language of business and commerce. To move ahead in mainland USA one MUST have a solid understanding of The Language of The Land.

And how awkward, I live in a predominantly Asian community in SoCal. I frequently meet recent arrivals, mostly from Mainland China, Taiwan, and The Philippines. Without exception, each person I've met from these countries has a fairly good understanding of the English language and are ANXIOUSLY EAGER to improve their English skills.

It is a well known fact in SoCal that Asians move up the economic ladder in a fairly short period of time after their arrival. Ironically, Asians are sometimes accused of having some form of "unfair advantage" by many newly arrived Latinos. Contrary to Asians, many newly arrived Latinos do little to improve their English skills. As a result, they have little choice but to work in minimum wage menial jobs. . .at Asian owned businesses.

It behooves us to have solid command of The Language of The Land that feeds us!

Old 10-14-2012, 06:27 AM

Agreed entirely Chaco, one of the reasons why Puerto Ricans have alot of trouble economically is because the best paying jobs on the island require one to be bilingual in both English and Spanish. Meanwhile most Puerto Ricans do not fluently speak English (hell it's often said that they can barely speak Spanish as it is!), and even if they wanted to they don't have very many resources available to do so which is why the new "Century 21" schooling system is critically important.

To me the importance of being bilingual is a no brainer but when for 60 years a certain political party has lied and bamboozled everyone - it's going to take Puerto Rico a very long time to repair the damage caused by the PPD and it's "commonwealth" status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories