Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 02:49 AM

43 posts, read 152,896 times

Advertisements

I used the links that I collected here: St Croix relocation and just started contacting places I liked the look of.

I am shipping my truck down (costs around 2,500 with taxes & shipping from Miami), and will probably also buy an "island car" while there, looking at the local craigslist it appears that vehicles are pretty easy to come by, but I'll rent a vehicle untill I have one (looks like it's around 225 a week or so)

the economy is at a "low point" right now, houses have lost about 50% off their prices since 2008 so it's a pretty flexable market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 08:38 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCLawGuy12 View Post
Thanks for the response! Your reply makes me feel a little more secure about accepting the offer. One other thing; I see there are farmers' markets and a lot of roadside stalls down there; are those a decent source of fresh produce and food as an alternative to the normal supermarkets?
There are a couple of farmers' markets on both STT and STX and there are also roadside stalls. You do need to check prices and compare. Many times the produce sold at the roadside stalls isn't local at all but comes from either down island or from the local food merchants imported stock and prices vary considerably. And local doesn't always translate to cheaper, either. Growing isn't as easy here as one might expect for a variety of reasons - so, again, check and compare.

Check the VI Moving Center classified section for a short term rental. There's a poster on there, Juanita, who owns property on STX and often has short term vacancies. She's reputable! If she has nothing presently listed you can always send her a private message through the site as if she doesn't have anything available she may know someone who does. Once you're on island you can check craigslistvi but I wouldn't advise it for a short term rental from off island as the site proliferates with scams. The post-flagging is constant but they just keep popping up!

If you're only staying short term don't bother shipping a vehicle. Vehicles get pretty beaten up here very quickly between the salt erosion and the ever-present potholes. Nobody give's a rat's patootie about "pretty" but mechanical soundness is important!

Old 01-14-2013, 12:48 PM

8 posts, read 22,671 times
Well I accepted the offer, so STX here I come!

Old 01-14-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCLawGuy12 View Post
Well I accepted the offer, so STX here I come!
When are you going to land on island? I still don't have a start date... the anticipation is driving me crazy, espeically with this crazy weather we are having in alaska currently (it's freakin 50 degrees out side right now!)

Old 01-14-2013, 02:10 PM

I decided on the first Monday in February, so 3 weeks from now. Hopefully that's long enough to get everything in order.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:59 PM

Well I'll have to look you up when I land there, I should be there around the same time (or hopefully sooner!)

Old 01-14-2013, 05:58 PM

Sounds like a plan! I started a thread over on the vimovingcenter board as well. Hopefully i'll get some good info!

Old 10-08-2013, 04:20 AM

11 posts, read 9,429 times
Hi there! I'm applying for a job in St. Croix and if I get it, I'd be moving down there in the next couple weeks. I know this thread is from awhile ago but was hoping to hear about your experiences down there, assuming you both ended up moving! I'm late 20s and from NC. Thanks

Old 10-08-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srroman View Post
Hi there! I'm applying for a job in St. Croix and if I get it, I'd be moving down there in the next couple weeks. I know this thread is from awhile ago but was hoping to hear about your experiences down there, assuming you both ended up moving! I'm late 20s and from NC. Thanks
Life is slower paced here, there's not much "todo" a lot of people say (but I think this is mostly from a "city" dwellers point of view)

the weather is nice all year-round and the people are pretty friendly (if you're friendly)

I did end up moving, bought a house too; I'll be here for a few years at least I'm sure..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories