Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 01:19 AM

59 posts, read 97,393 times

Advertisements

I'm from the island of PR, and we have all being taught that we are a even blend of black, white and indigenous. However, in the past three years I've been doing extensive research about my ancestry. I was very shocked to found out about my results, because I would had never thought that my ancestry was completely European.

On my mom's side of the family, it's Italian, Dutch, Catalan, Irish, and Welsh; they changed their names when came to PR in the mid 1800's to sound more local.

On my dad's side, is Basque, Galician, and Scottish; they arrived in the early to mid 1800's. His dad's side is from PR, but his mother is a Mexican from New Mexico (my grandma is not one of those "brown" Mexicans).

Old 06-16-2013, 06:16 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
I'm almost all white. If you count my Arab ancestry as white, I'm about 99% white then. My ancestry comes from Germany, Galicia, Andalucía, and what was then called Ottoman Syria and one ancestor who was mestizo mixed with Spanish and Taíno from 4 generations ago

Old 06-16-2013, 06:24 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,178,323 times
... and you should be proud of it.

There are a lot more Europeans in PR than most people will admit. The Royal Decrees of Graces (Royal Decree of Graces of 1815 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) encouraged a lot of white European immigration to Puerto Rico and Cuba in the 1800's. My paternal great grandfather was one of those who took advantage of it and moved from Italy to the hills of Adjuntas in the late 1800's.

My roots are 100% European and I'm damn proud of it. My wife's roots are 100% African, and she is as proud of it as I am.

"Aquel que no está orgulloso de su origen, no valdrá nunca nada, porque empieza a despreciarse a sí mismo" - Pedro Albizu Campos ("One who is not proud of his origin, will not be worth anything ever, because he begins to despise himself.")

Old 06-17-2013, 06:06 PM

I acknowledge and live happy with my origin, but I'm not proud of it. Why? it's not something I archive or earned; I just happen to be born with it.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:21 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,898,604 times
Yes, it's not something that you earned.But it is what it is.

My ancestors were from Galicia and they happened to be Jewish. So I don't look like a lot of people from PR.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:54 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,701,283 times
Like other posters have pointed out..... "proud of being white"...is awkward.
However being proud that you're Puerto Rican is perfectly acceptable.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:38 AM

529 posts, read 1,087,335 times
To many Puerto Ricans reared in the U.S. most Puerto Ricans are Black, they only act White or are in denial. How ever those Puerto Ricans that classify themselves as white in the US only "look white" to the rest of America.

Example:

I couldn't believe when Chris Matthews, said on his show once, "Its about time non-whites picked one of their own", referring to Marco Rubio.

In other words, race is dependent on how a specific society looks at you. Hispanics in America are in the non-white category no matter where they came from. Galicia, Andalusia or the Ottoman Empire might be somewhere in Africa for all they know.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:02 AM

355 posts, read 717,288 times
The who's white and who's not discussion is tiresome. Same for the I'm black, Dominican, Taino and tired of (fill in here) It's not about our differences but about our commonalities.
Puerto Rico, as we all know is a mix of diverse cultures that works relatively well. I would expect that given enough time, the world would be mocha and this discussion would end... but then then again human nature finds a way to differentiate and discriminate. Dr. Seuss drew his Sneetches story from observed human behavior, behavior that's been around as long as mankind. But... that doesn't mean we're stuck with it or have to practice it. Recognizing the behavior and thinking through it is key.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Like other posters have pointed out..... "proud of being white"...is awkward.
However being proud that you're Puerto Rican is perfectly acceptable.
I'm not proud of neither. Being born in PR is not an accomplishment, it just simply happened; I'm certainly not proud of being Puerto Rican, but I don't feel ashamed about it either. My mom happened to be there despite she could have easily moved earlier to North Carolina to be with my dad (who just got stationed over there when I was born). Being proud of being of a certain race is even more ridiculous than being proud of the place one was born.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post
To many Puerto Ricans reared in the U.S. most Puerto Ricans are Black, they only act White or are in denial. However those Puerto Ricans that classify themselves as white in the US only "look white" to the rest of America.
Lots and lots of people in the mainland US had have a hard believing I'm from PR, and usually think I'm from southeastern European region.

Quote:
I couldn't believe when Chris Matthews, said on his show once, "Its about time non-whites picked one of their own", referring to Marco Rubio.
Before the Nixon administration, Rubio would had been considered just another white dude. No matter how many people don't like to hear it, he is white.

Quote:
In other words, race is dependent on how a specific society looks at you. Hispanics in America are in the non-white category no matter where they came from. Galicia, Andalusia or the Ottoman Empire might be somewhere in Africa for all they know.
This started to happen during and after the Nixon administration.
Hispanic-Latino naming dispute - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.pewhispanic.org/2012/04/0...s-of-identity/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories