Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: would things relating to the state government be in english mainly if Puerto Rico becomes a state
No 0 0%
Yes 2 66.67%
Some (if you picked this option, tell me what would be in english in a post on this thread) 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 08:39 PM

181 posts, read 303,032 times

Advertisements

"Adopt English as the official language of day-to-day government operations including all laws, official records, and government proceedings and agree to make English as a second language instruction mandatory in its public schools. These stipulations must be added to H.R. 900 so Puerto Rican voters can make an informed choice before voting in a referendum on their country’s future status. This would not be imposing English on Puerto Rico. It simply means that if Puerto Rico chooses to become a U.S. state, it would do so in the full knowledge that it will be required to adopt English as the language of its government as a condition for statehood.

No Puerto Rico statehood without English

Would their government be conducted in mostly english?

Would public education be mostly in english?

Would road signs be in english?

Would these all be in spanish still? What about in the far future?

Old 08-26-2013, 06:12 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,110,162 times
Several Puerto Rican cities already use English street signs, police car markings, etc - Guaynabo is probably the most prominent. It's a big moneysaver as it enables them to buy in bulk.

State & Municipal governments = Spanish
Public Education = ideally it would be bilingual

BTW: the "English-Only" movement receives a considerable amount of donations from the Populares.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Several Puerto Rican cities already use English street signs, police car markings, etc - Guaynabo is probably the most prominent. It's a big moneysaver as it enables them to buy in bulk.

BTW: the "English-Only" movement receives a considerable amount of donations from the Populares.
Luis Fortuño proposed that.

Time to set the Bilingual Generation in motion - Caribbean Business

English, math, and science would be in english

Spanish and social studies would be in Spanish.

I'm just afraid Puerto Ricans will abandon spanish for english.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:

And would Puerto Ricans continue to speak spanish amongst themselves? How do you know?

Old 08-26-2013, 12:15 PM

36 posts, read 80,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid55 View Post
And would Puerto Ricans continue to speak spanish amongst themselves? How do you know?
Of course they would, that is what we do here in the mainland... Folks think things will just change over night, and they wont.

Last edited by He123321; 08-26-2013 at 01:00 PM..

Old 08-26-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by He123321 View Post
Of course they would, that what we do here in the mainland... Folks think things will just change over night, and they wont.
But in a Couple Of generations, like on the mainland, Puerto Ricans won't know spanish ill bet.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:00 PM

36 posts, read 80,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid55 View Post
But in a Couple Of generations, like on the mainland, Puerto Ricans won't know spanish ill bet.
Only if the parent allow it.

Growing up with my mother, she always told me and my younger brothers the following, Spanish while you are in this house, and English while you are out off the house. That is the same thing I am teaching my child right now. Its up to the parents...

Last edited by He123321; 08-26-2013 at 01:16 PM..

Old 08-26-2013, 01:14 PM

The commonwealth party doesn't want "The resolution opposes a status solution that would compromise “Puerto Rican nationality or impair our linguistic and cultural identity.” The language was intended as an attack on U.S. statehood, the status that won the territory’s plebiscite on the issue held along with the elections, although statehood would not affect the cultural identity of Puerto Ricans."

So it would affect the LINGUISTIC identity?

Old 08-28-2013, 11:06 AM

529 posts, read 1,087,036 times
Quote:

Guaynabo City Police Department, Gurabo City Police Department, Guayama City Hall, Guayama City Fire Department, etc. etc etc,

All these towns, and more, have begun language assimilation but curiously the mayors can't hold down a conversation in English. This is what makes them the laughing stock of the island.

Its like those Americans who say they speak French, but real french men can't figure out what the hell they're saying. Kind of pretentious no? LOL

I think English language learning has to be divorced from status politics in order to progress, but this is a long stretch.

Most folks know that Statehooders tend to hide their true feelings on eventually phasing out Spanish. Those who have retired from the armed forces are the worst.

By beginning to change signs, most Puerto Ricans know where these guys are heading. By stressing bilingualism when in fact they can't speak English themselves or they have an accent you can cut with a scissor, which most Americans can't understand, one can easily notice what I'm saying

I other day I recently ran into some Puerto Ricans in WallGreen speaking English among themselves. They wouldn't speak in Spanish but I knew they were native speakers because , once again, they had an accent you could cut with a scissor and I couldn't understand half of what they were saying.

Weird and pretentious?

Old 08-28-2013, 12:14 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,110,162 times
Who cares what language they speak! It was a group of friends talking amongst themselves, if they want to speak English then let them.

They were practicing so that they could broaden their horizons should they decide to move to the mainland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories