Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 12:46 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,895,539 times

Advertisements

That is a good site MY. It lists the parks with camping areas and the ones that allows tents. Like this one in Fajardo:

Untitled 1

Old 01-30-2014, 05:32 PM

35 posts, read 73,385 times
Thanks MYM and Ann for the specifics. I had a lot of these bookmarked on a browser that crashed from HDD failure and lost a bunch of info on a reinstall. I remember these now. And I wouldn't be bumming around in someones backyard.
Funny how spending a $100 a day for 10-11 days is considered bumming by some.
C'est la vie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 06:08 PM

473 posts, read 796,945 times
I never said spending $100 a day was bumming

Old 01-31-2014, 08:55 AM

77 posts, read 281,884 times
SpondyMan,

Most of the campgrounds in PR are up in the mountains. There are several beach campgrounds but I wouldn't do it "solo". You would be too exposed and it gets risky. Camping in large groups is a different story.

The only place I would feel safe camping on the beach "solo" is in Flamenco Beach in Culebra. You only have to pay $10 per night (prices might have changed so please verify) and they have bathroom and open shower facilities.

There are private places that "rent" areas to set your tent and provide basic service (bathroom, etc). Punta Maracayo in Hatillo used to have this service but it seams like they have evolved into a full hotel now. Maybe you can call and ask if they still have camping areas.

Here is a picture of tourists sleeping (literally) on the beach in Flamenco during our visit three weeks ago.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1391183647

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1391183692
Attached Thumbnails
Sleeping on the Beach-img_0059.jpg   Sleeping on the Beach-img_0058.jpg  

Old 01-31-2014, 11:02 AM

35 posts, read 73,385 times
I appreciate that P.R. E.
Someone on another forum gave me the phone number on Culebra for tent reservations and I'll call today. I lost my previously bookmarked pages for the cabanas administered by Parques National, but wasn't sure if they allowed camping. Some appear to have RV spots, but the information is murky on their website. Again another telephone call if possible.

It looks like, as you say, the areas montanas offer the best chance of camping, I found that you must get your permit in San Juan beforehand, so I may have to wait to see exactly where they are when I arrive. Maps for these places are scarce.

Plan to put down a couple of small deposits on hostel rooms and if I have to cancel in favor of more wide open spaces, it won't be much of a loss.
Thanks again.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:16 AM

22 posts, read 71,937 times
I live in Puerto Rico and Love it. But the danger is real if you aren't from here. I hear all the time "I'm from the Bronx, I'm not afraid". Bottom line: we have serious economic issues on the island and serious violent crime. Tourists inside of Condado OSJ and Isla Verde won't experience it, but it is real and not to be taken lightly. Puerto Rico is perfectly safe if you are in a hotel. But without guidance you are taking too many risks. You are young and think you are invincible. You need to proceed more cautiously, don't let your first wake up call cost you your life. We had 900+ murders last year, that were reported. This does not include violent assaults and muggings. Trust me, gringo. They will see you coming.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:27 AM

355 posts, read 717,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucknevers View Post
I live in Puerto Rico and Love it. But the danger is real if you aren't from here. I hear all the time "I'm from the Bronx, I'm not afraid". Bottom line: we have serious economic issues on the island and serious violent crime. Tourists inside of Condado OSJ and Isla Verde won't experience it, but it is real and not to be taken lightly. Puerto Rico is perfectly safe if you are in a hotel. But without guidance you are taking too many risks. You are young and think you are invincible. You need to proceed more cautiously, don't let your first wake up call cost you your life. We had 900+ murders last year, that were reported. This does not include violent assaults and muggings. Trust me, gringo. They will see you coming.
It will be interesting to see the responses to your post… I'd like to know more of your opinion about how secure a traveler is outside of the metro area. For example the beach areas from Aguadilla to Boqueron Bay/Cabo Rojo or the opposite direction up towards Humacao.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:31 PM

300 posts, read 438,747 times
Camping on the beach in PR is very common for locals and visitors. Although probably not recomended in the metro areas, as stated above. If you want be on-the -cheep, then don't stay in the metro areas. $50@nigh guest house are pretty easy to find, but they normally don't advetise to the state side market. Do you have a loose itinerary? Tons of palces to camp for cheep. Also caomping in Liquilldo (sp?) on the beach. Liquidollo makes a good jumping off point to see El Yunke. From there to Fardjo. (don't camping Farado) Take the $5 ferry to vieques. Check out Sun Bay or Navio in Vieques. (I heard a rummor that Navio was the filmlocation for "LORD of Flys") Absolutly spectactualr beach. Do not leave items unattened. SunBay has a "real campgraound with bathrooms and lockers (i think)"-- a good home base for exploring vieques. Walking distance to little esparanza. Culebra is another opition as stated above. Ferry or cheep plane to Celiba and explore the sout coast on your way to ricon and the west...
Avoid easter week as half the population and thier second cousins are sleeping on the beach.
In any case, I'd travel extra light. (judging form you post your probably not into too much stuff anyway). Hamock and tarp or small tent. sheet, towel, soap, toothbrush, brimmed hat, ball cap, Minimal clothing. 2 shorts, 2 short sleaves, 1 long sleave. rain jacket/poncho. sneakers, flip flops, ziplocks, amybe a small soft sided cooler, paper back, head lamp. No more than a daypack and you won't stick out. Bring lots of sPF 50 and industrial strength deet.

Last edited by blu4u; 02-03-2014 at 02:46 PM..

Old 02-03-2014, 03:44 PM

Adding "media Luna" to list of vieques camping. Lots of websites giving info on Sun Bay.. I don't where you find outabout Navio and media luna, but all three are kinda off the same general "road" If you don't have car then Sun bay is your best bet. I would spring for the car while on PR. You'll be able to see more of the island and have better sense of security if the camping thing doesn't turn out. If it's a choice between Hotel and car I'd pick car, as there are many camping spots out side of the cities.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:48 PM

Fortaleza Guest House || Deals OSJ @ $25 @night
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories