Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 05:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,002 times

Advertisements

Hey, I'm moving to puerto rico over the summer and I really would like to be in camuy or Arecibo but I can't find any information on any bilingual schools in this area. The closest I found is in Aguadilla. I'm a single mom with a 8 yr old boy. Our family is from puerto rico so I can speak and read Spanish pretty good but my son can not. He also had extreme ADHD so school is difficult for him as is. Please help! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 07:12 AM

87 posts, read 147,850 times
I can't speak for every school, but all the private schools I have encountered do not have special education programs or services for students with special needs. At best, with a doctor's note, they will offer him an "acomodacion reasonable", which will be extra time for tests.

Also, a lot of schools claim to be bilingual, but they are not. I noticed at my son's school, which they claim is bilingual, that almost no one on staff speaks English, so I asked about their methods and I was told that starting in fourth grade, in both math and science class, something is said in Spanish, then it is said in English. If they used a bilingual approach, then half the classes would be entirely given in English without using the grammar translation method. Most students in private schools are bilingual because of their parents attitudes about education and language.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:43 AM

529 posts, read 1,087,036 times
I just don't get it! Why are folks moving to Puerto Rico and expect to find bilingual education to meet their specific needs.

Yes the ideal is to be a bilingual person, why not! But dealing with two languages in a mono-lingual Spanish speaking country requires a mind set, a school, support and money. That is why most students in private schools become nominally bilingual, however the more tuition you pay the more bilingual you become. Most students in Puerto Rico are exposed to English, and that's more than you can say of American schools where foreign languages are almost thought as un-American and elitist.

Most private school kids nominally master English because, although they understand, read and speak English if they have to, they mostly function in Spanish, 98% of the time. Why? because Puerto Rico is a Spanish speaking country, that's why!

Bilingualism is a class concept in most of the world. It never trickles down to the majority.
Yes by all means try to make your kids bilingual but if they are immersed in a culture that doesn't speak English therefore the out comes may be sketchy.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post

1. Most students in Puerto Rico are exposed to English,

2. and that's more than you can say of American schools where foreign languages are almost thought as un-American and elitist.

3. Most private school kids nominally master English because, although they understand, read and speak English if they have to, they mostly function in Spanish, 98% of the time. Why? because Puerto Rico is a Spanish speaking country, that's why!

4. Bilingualism is a class concept in most of the world. It never trickles down to the majority.
Clip, what happened to you during your 35 years in the US that left you so bitter? The OP is asking a fair question, every parent is, or should be , concerned about selecting a school.

1. Yes, if by exposed you mean that they are taught English 50 minutes a day for at least 12 years, that they prefer movies in English with Spanish subtitles, and almost everything on the supermarket shelf is in English --then yes they are 'exposed' to it.

2. People in the US speak over 300 languages and the US is the 2nd largest Spanish speaking country in the world. Despite having no official language , many cities and states publish their documents in multiple languages.

3. Huh? They master English because they mostly function in Spanish????? Also, "nominally master English " what do base that on? I have ten private school students in my university level English classes this semester and there are more in other uni classes. They more than nominally master the language.

4. I guess you have never heard of Africa? Even the people in the poorest African countries speak multiple languages.

What are you basing all your posts on Education and language in the US and PR on? Do you have experience as a student or teacher in a private school? Or as a student or professor in a university in PR or the US?

Old 04-14-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikooeste View Post
Clip, what happened to you during your 35 years in the US that left you so bitter? The OP is asking a fair question, every parent is, or should be , concerned about selecting a school.

1. Yes, if by exposed you mean that they are taught English 50 minutes a day for at least 12 years, that they prefer movies in English with Spanish subtitles, and almost everything on the supermarket shelf is in English --then yes they are 'exposed' to it.

2. People in the US speak over 300 languages and the US is the 2nd largest Spanish speaking country in the world. Despite having no official language , many cities and states publish their documents in multiple languages.

3. Huh? They master English because they mostly function in Spanish????? Also, "nominally master English " what do base that on? I have ten private school students in my university level English classes this semester and there are more in other uni classes. They more than nominally master the language.

4. I guess you have never heard of Africa? Even the people in the poorest African countries speak multiple languages.

What are you basing all your posts on Education and language in the US and PR on? Do you have experience as a student or teacher in a private school? Or as a student or professor in a university in PR or the US?

Seems so strange that for a person who brags about being super educated you write on this forum expecting responses to be intellectual. Look bro, this blog is basically for entertainment and to get tourist info.

Yes parents should be interested in getting the optimal education for their child, and if high end bilingual the better. However one should do their homework before immersing themselves into a country they don't know. Eating rice and beans doesn't make you into a Puerto Rican! Good schools cost MONEY, here and in the United States! It shouldn't be that way, but IT IS! I think its better to tell it like it is than to try to infalte poor folks fantasies about free this and free that in a highly stratified society like Puerto Rico.

In addition, what sounds like bitter is maybe a different opinion than what you'd ever hear on this blog. You're maybe irked by a different opinion and the only way you know how to deal with it is to complain.

1-For your info, People in Argentina prefer their English movies in English with Spanish subtitles. The signs in Burger King in Ave 9 de Julio are in spanglish. Our supermarket products are in English because we are a closed market for American products, what did you expect, Chinese?

2- I don't care if people in the U.S speak 1000 languages, what most people know is that the De facto language of America is English. Yes many announcements in many U.S. states are indeed published in multiple languages, basically to get info to an older generation of immigrants, just like German was used before 1917. Once the older generation begins dying out, the younger monolingual English speakers take over and don't use the native tongue anymore.

3-Most kids at University level deal with English in varied ways and with different levels of proficiency, how ever all prefer to socialize in Spanish and switch over to English if needed, but not for long.

4- Africa is fragmented into hundreds of languages, and tribal groups. Most people aren't bilingual as you infer, in fact most can't even read their own language. The educated and political big wigs might be bilingual, but its only to be able to represent tribal groups in their parliaments.

Finally, there you go again prying into peoples personal lives. No one here is interested in what you do for a living. Just keep to the topic and discuss as you see fit but keep personal things private. Thank You!

Last edited by clip314; 04-14-2014 at 02:03 PM..

Old 04-14-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:

1. Look bro, this blog is basically for entertainment and to get tourist info.
2. you write on this forum expecting responses to be intellectual
3. Eating rice and beans doesn't make you into a Puerto Rican!
4. You're maybe irked by a different opinion and the only way you know how to deal with it is to complain.
5. Our supermarket products are in English because we are a closed market for American products, what did you expect, Chinese?
6. Most kids at University level deal with English in varied ways and with different levels of proficiency, how ever all prefer to socialize in Spanish and switch over to English if needed, but not for long.
7. - Africa is fragmented into hundreds of languages, and tribal groups. Most people aren't bilingual as you infer,
8. Finally, there you go again prying into peoples personal lives. No one here is interested in what you do for a living. Just keep to the topic and discuss as you see fit but keep personal things private. Thank You!
1. You post a lot of information that is not true. And the OP was not looking for laughs or tourist info.
2. I know, I expect so much from people that post
3. You think that Americans move here and claim that they are Puerto Rican?
4. Me , irked? Hello kettle........
5. Yes, you support my point that people here are more than 'exposed' to English
6. Again, your opinion is not based on anything.
7. Untrue
8. I think if someone's academic preparation or employment is relevant when they post about education or languages. What you call bragging is my explaining my background as they relate to my posts. A poster has no idea when you respond what your background is. If you do not want to say, then that is fine, but do not present yourself as an expert on education or languages. I know nothing about IT, so it would never occur to me to start posting responses to IT questions.

And, yes, not everyone is interested in what I do for a living, unless they have a questions about education on the island or English in Puerto Rico.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:53 AM
mym

706 posts, read 1,171,093 times
Quote:
Look bro, this blog is basically for entertainment and to get tourist info.
you provided neither Sir. May I also respectfully suggest that whenever you get the urge to start a response with "I just don't get it" deal with the fact that no - you do not get it and leave it at that. Human beings are a wonderfully diverse bunch and we do not all think alike. Gracias a Dios.

Dear Isabella,

other than Aguadilla / Anasco / Mayaguez and the metro area I am not aware of any bilingual schools in the Arecibo area. I cannot imagine how difficult it must be to raise a son as a single mother and I hope you are able to find a way to be closer to family one way or the other.

m

Old 04-16-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mym View Post
you provided neither Sir. May I also respectfully suggest that whenever you get the urge to start a response with "I just don't get it" deal with the fact that no - you do not get it and leave it at that. Human beings are a wonderfully diverse bunch and we do not all think alike. Gracias a Dios.

Dear Isabella,

other than Aguadilla / Anasco / Mayaguez and the metro area I am not aware of any bilingual schools in the Arecibo area. I cannot imagine how difficult it must be to raise a son as a single mother and I hope you are able to find a way to be closer to family one way or the other.

m

Sorry but you've offered no solutions to Isabella's ordeal. I would say its very folkloric and somewhat naive to have Isabella feel good, but does that solve her problem?

Yes human beings are a very diverse bunch but its very cruel to beat around the bush giving people hope where there isn't much. if we don't confront people with their misconceptions, one is only playing a worse game with them.

Bilingual schools cost $$$$$$$, a lot of money! Most are elitist schools where the poor hardly fit in. Here we have a mother who wants the best for her kid, like most parents do. Nonetheless coming to Puerto Rico to get top notch education for free is not realistic, even in the United States.

Did I invent these rules? No I'm just pointing them out. In my previous work I had to deal with dispelling fantasies and having people come down to reality, not perpetuating unrealistic thoughts.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
1. but does that solve her problem?
2. Bilingual schools cost $$$$$$$, a lot of money!
3. Nonetheless coming to Puerto Rico to get top notch education for free is not realistic, even in the United States.
4. In my previous work I had to deal with dispelling fantasies and having people come down to reality, not perpetuating unrealistic thoughts.
1. It doesn't sound like she has a problem.
2. This is where someone's background , or lack of, comes into play. I am assuming that you do/did not have any children in private schools in PR because you are providing the OP with false info. With the exception of a handful of schools , SESO and maybe WALKS on the West Coast and 6 or so on the East coast ( I don't know the names because I live on the West Coast), private schools in PR are very affordable in comparison with the US (which is where the OP is coming from). A regular private school in the US would charge what SESO charges here.
3. I reread the post several times and the OP never said top-notch or the best, nor did she say free!
4. What did you do?

Additionally , I too think some people come to PR with misperceptions, like the posters that say they have never visited here, but are planning to move here, but this is not the case here. The OP says her family is from PR

Old 04-17-2014, 10:28 AM

I think you've gotten the info screwed up. The lady was asking for a bilingual school for her HDHD child and a poster responded that bilingual schools with special ed. services are difficult to come by, if so. Most free special ed schools are populated by the poor, and if public, they are possibly the worst schools where kids are basically baby sat all day and education is questionable. I understand the ladys dilema, but she seems to have been mis-informed thinking that coming to Puerto Rico things would be different from the U.S..

Now , if you're talking about a private bilingual school that takes special ed students , you're talking about big bucks, not just in PR but also the U.S.!

I have friends whose autistic child was given the best private intervention in a private school costing a small fortune. She recently graduated from MIT. If this kid was sent to a public special ed facility she would be stunted for life.

A real solution to this ladys problem, which is done in the US all the time, is to sue the education department stating that the assigned school does not meet the needs of her child. Generally the ones who get extra funds for a private school are the ones who find savy lawyers and win the case.

Its a pity this has to be this way, but that's the American way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories