Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2015, 10:00 PM

4 posts, read 4,742 times

Advertisements

My father serve in the military in the 60's and was stationed in Italy. He met a young italian woman and she became pregnant. He promised her father that he would take care of her and so she came back to Puerto Rico with him in 1966.
My dad was already married to my mother, who was also expecting. It seems that he planned to bring this young lady to my grandparents home and let her stay there, have the baby with hopes of her living with my grandparents. Apparently she was led to believe that my father would marry her and they would settle in Puerto Rico. She had no idea my father was already married.
My grandmother let my father know that she was not going to tolerate this behavior and raise this baby. Apparently the italian girl decided she was going to stay in PR until the baby was born and then give it up for adoption. She decided to go live in a hacienda in Isla Verde hoisted by some catholic missionaries who provided a place unwed expectant girls and help them in finding adoption parents for their babies.
Sometime around November 9-11, 1966 my father and this girl became parents of a little girl. I believe she was born in the VA hospital in PR. Her mother did not allow my father to see her and she was given up for adoption. I believe the people that adopted her were Americans.
I would be very interested in finding if she is out there somewhere and would love to meet her. She would be 49 years old.
My father passed away from cancer in 2011. He never talked to us about this, so we don't really know much. When my mother found out about this young lady and that she was expecting, she insisted on going to the hacienda to meet her. She met her and she has told me that she was pretty, only spoke Italian and had very dark hair and I believe she told me that her name was Ana.

If anyone has any information, please let me know. I would love to find and meet my half sister.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 08:45 PM

409 posts, read 1,045,982 times
Wow what a story. I have no idea how you would begin research for something like this. But I have a very good friend currently living in PR. So if you need specific ph #'s history etc. My friend was born there and her mom also. My friends mom was born around 66 also so I dont know what she would remember or know about a VA hospital on island. I think my friends grandparents are deceased but I am sure they have older relatives who can give history about what happened with the hospital and maybe they know something about the hacienda in Isla Verde
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories