Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2015, 04:21 PM

2 posts, read 1,435 times

Advertisements

I’m exploring retiring in the Virgin Islands and would very much appreciate feedback. I’m a writer/meditator and really need a place that is definitely quiet and safe. Am looking to buy and would only want a place with beautiful views of nature. Suggestions, encouraging/discouraging comments appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 07:29 PM

811 posts, read 1,148,304 times
Hi mrothschild, you may find a few other threads here that offer some information about this already. I've tried to offer some info to several others who are thinking about relocating to the VI someday. I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. Yes, the VI is filled with beautiful views of nature. There are quiet areas and not-so-quiet areas. Safe places and not-so-safe places. The first piece of advice that I would give anyone is to explore the islands in person before making any firm decisions. The VI's are a lovable place, but people are always surprised by the challenges that come along with "paradise." It truly is something that you should experience for yourself before determining to move here. Also, each island is very different from the other. If you have specific questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them for you.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:58 PM

2 posts, read 1,435 times
Default Yes, thank you..

I'm planning a trip to the VI (& possibly PR) end of Aug or early Dec. I will look for homes that hopefully are in definite quiet zones. I need to do more research re vacation rentals and island life. I am focusing on St. Thomas and would wish to find places not frequented by noisy vacation renters and local partyers. From what I've read about PR, the culture can be very noisy with trucks driving around blasting music.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:48 AM

811 posts, read 1,148,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrothschild View Post
I'm planning a trip to the VI (& possibly PR) end of Aug or early Dec. I will look for homes that hopefully are in definite quiet zones. I need to do more research re vacation rentals and island life. I am focusing on St. Thomas and would wish to find places not frequented by noisy vacation renters and local partyers. From what I've read about PR, the culture can be very noisy with trucks driving around blasting music.
PR is a big place. There are definitely plenty of remote, quiet areas. Plenty of homes in St Thomas are nestled into the jungle and hills, making them feel private. St Thomas is a smaller place, so some echoing up the hillsides happens in a lot of places (a bit of road noise, airport noise, etc., depending on your location). There are private, quiet spots on both STT and PR. Finding that will not be an issue on either island. Seeing the places for yourself will be key. Give yourself enough time to experience the day to day stuff (grocery-shopping, driving around, etc.). That will be key in ensuring you understand the large difference between life here and vacation here. Enjoy your visit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories