Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 01:49 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times

Advertisements

Is this common, that a lot of smaller towns in Puerto Rico have this look? Love the density and walkability....not sure how good or bad that is, due to the perception of crime. But, the Island of Puerto Rico, certainly creates some cool-looking walkable-looking cities and towns!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 06:52 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,234,244 times
The Porta Coeli Church in San Germán was on my 'to see' list when I visited Puerto Rico first time in 1997.
The Southern/Western parts of the Island have always been a favorite.

Old 01-10-2017, 03:10 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Is this common, that a lot of smaller towns in Puerto Rico have this look? Love the density and walkability....not sure how good or bad that is, due to the perception of crime. But, the Island of Puerto Rico, certainly creates some cool-looking walkable-looking cities and towns!
San German was the other Spanish government center so it has the same look as old san juan though it's a bit forgotten and off the beaten path. Ponce was also densely built but a very different look, more 19th through early 20th century. It's history is one as a port for coffee and sugar often evading the Spanish crown

Old 01-10-2017, 10:02 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,447,038 times
I think it is pretty common. I know in Cayey, the downtown has a plaza and a Catholic Church with a city hall nearby. I think all Puerto Rican towns are designed this way. The downtown is kind of like Old San Juan (although much less touristy). In Caguas it is kind of the same too except in Caguas they have this promenade that goes into the plaza area which I think is cool. However there is also a lot of sprawl in Puerto Rico. Cayey may have a walkable downtown but then on the outskirts you have strip malls, highways, and in Caguas you have shopping malls, pretty similar to the United States.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:14 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
I think it is pretty common. I know in Cayey, the downtown has a plaza and a Catholic Church with a city hall nearby. I think all Puerto Rican towns are designed this way. The downtown is kind of like Old San Juan (although much less touristy). In Caguas it is kind of the same too except in Caguas they have this promenade that goes into the plaza area which I think is cool. However there is also a lot of sprawl in Puerto Rico. Cayey may have a walkable downtown but then on the outskirts you have strip malls, highways, and in Caguas you have shopping malls, pretty similar to the United States.
Just curious...are these plazas used much like they might be used in Latin America or Spain (i.e. families socializing late into the night, kids playing, teens skateboarding, adults talking away, way past sunset)? Or are they more deserted and more like the U.S. Mainland (avoid after dark, drug-dealing oriented, a bit sketchy)...? Or just neither, not really used at all...?

Old 01-11-2017, 07:15 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,234,244 times
The Plaza in Boquerón is pretty much active at all times of the day and evening.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:27 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,447,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Just curious...are these plazas used much like they might be used in Latin America or Spain (i.e. families socializing late into the night, kids playing, teens skateboarding, adults talking away, way past sunset)? Or are they more deserted and more like the U.S. Mainland (avoid after dark, drug-dealing oriented, a bit sketchy)...? Or just neither, not really used at all...?
The plaza in Caguas has a lot of people in it, there are vendors, and it is a place where your family can relax and get a snack. The plaza in Cayey is not as bustling but people still go to the area. The plaza in Cayey might not be as busy probably because Cayey is a smaller town than Caguas. Caguas is the fifth largest city in PR.

I don't know if these plazas are active during the day or if they are dangerous after dark but people still go to these areas during the day.

This is the plaza in Caguas.

Click image for larger version

Name:	24041384464_103ebd164f_n.jpg
Views:	697
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	179830

Name:	24041378034_47cf775e62_b.jpg
Views:	976
Size:	285.9 KB
ID:	179831

This is the plaza in Cayey.

Name:	24669579955_8147ff7987_n.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	179832

Old 01-15-2017, 04:46 AM
mym

706 posts, read 1,170,674 times
you got the cathedral on one end and city hall on the other. plazas usually dont get sketchy.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:43 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,807,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
The plaza in Caguas has a lot of people in it, there are vendors, and it is a place where your family can relax and get a snack. The plaza in Cayey is not as bustling but people still go to the area. The plaza in Cayey might not be as busy probably because Cayey is a smaller town than Caguas. Caguas is the fifth largest city in PR.

I don't know if these plazas are active during the day or if they are dangerous after dark but people still go to these areas during the day.

This is the plaza in Caguas.

Attachment 179830

Attachment 179831

This is the plaza in Cayey.

Attachment 179832
Caguas is dangerous at night but its all drug related i think.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:09 PM

529 posts, read 1,086,616 times
There was a time, before the malls, highways, fast food joints and cable TV, when plazas were full of people, specially on the weekends. As people abandoned the public places, to stay home to watch Brazilian sex novelas and now Turkish ones, life outside the home has come to a standstill and taken over by graffiti, drugs and dangerous individuals. Puerto Rico is like a small version of New York city in the 70's, when folks were terrified by the 24 hour news cycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories