Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2009, 10:59 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,806 times

Advertisements

I recently went on a cruise in the Caribbean. One of the stops was San Juan, Puerto Rico. We were actually quite surprised how nice the areas were that we visited. The Old City was lovely and we enjoyed it very much. However, we were impressed by all of the 15-20 story buildings that were built in New San Juan (Condando and neighboring areas). In fact, some parts had many new high-rise buildings going up. Our tour guide admitted that before Operation Bootstrap, the economy in PR was terrible. However, by the 80's and 90's much was being developed in San Juan.
Anyway, I am now home and I picked up a PR History book at a Barnes and Noble store. It said that the period of economic growth was from the 1950's to the 1970's. The book, along with other sources said that the 1980's and 1990's were periods of economic difficulty in PR. However, wasn't that the time the San Juan skyline was going up? How has the economy really functioned since the 1970's and when was San Juan infrastructure built up?
Secondly, how developed is PR? I have traveled to Africa, Nicaragua and Mexico. PR seemed more developed than all of these places. I know that there are many slums in other parts of SJ and poverty is still a serious problem in many parts of the island. However, in very general terms where does PR rank? My gut instinct is that the quality of life in PR is comparable to middle-income nations like Argentina, South Africa, Russia or Costa Rica. Is this a correct assumption? I know that PR is "poor" by mainland standards, but isn't it the most developed in the Caribbean?
I saw too little of PR to come to any conclusions myself. However, what I did see was signs of progress for a "poor" island. Thank you for any clarifications that you may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 07:18 AM

32 posts, read 106,141 times
The skyline in San Juan has growing since 1955, but most of them between 1970-1990. Most of the infrastructure has been built since 1960, like highways, shopping centers, etc.. PR is more developed than most countries of Latin America, and the poverty is very low, but there is. Most of the families have incomes between $15,000 and $45,000, but there are large number of families that have larger incomes. Is likely US mainland, but with less incomes (salaries) on average...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories