Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 12:23 PM

30 posts, read 149,212 times

Advertisements

I found out the hard way that Kansas Unemployment won't allow you to "continue filing" as is suggested in various places here, if you make more than your unemployment payment during one week of part-time work. Once you don't file for 1 week or you file for a week with income greater than your unemployment payments, your account is immediately CLOSED.

Then, when you try to file for the next week, cause your part-time job usually pays less than the unemployment payments EVERY week (that 1 full week was a case of 1x bad luck) then they classify it as a whole new claim, rather than renewing what you had, and because of the recent halt in the ability to file new claims on the extensions, I'm totally out of luck for any unemployment benefits at all now, no matter how little I make.

The person I talked to said it looked like I won't be able to file for any more unemployment until the end of 2010, and that's only if I can work full time. So basically, I got kicked to the curb cause I made one week's wages this year more than unemployment would pay me.

So hope like heck that if you get a job, it's a full-time job that's going to pay you more than unemployment 52 weeks a year, or that it is a part-time job that will never, even once, pay you more than your unemployment payments. Cause if you have the 2nd situation, you might be able to get unemployment payments as a supplement to help you along.

This is the way Kansas does things. I hope other states run things better for all of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 12:48 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,656,171 times
Sounds fishy to me, I would call again to straighten it out, I worked 3 weeks here in Michigan and yes they will close the account but all I did was call and talk to someone and they reopened it, No fuss. Sure sounds like you talked to someone who didn't know what they were doing and that can happen quite often, I would call back. I cant believe they would be different then all the other states but I guess you never know.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:15 PM

Default OHGreat

I've already called twice and talked to 2 different folks. First one I spoke to on Friday let me re-open the account. Said I'd have to file my usual, which I always did on Sunday.

When I went to my account on Sunday, it said it was still closed. The second one is the one I spoke with today, and she gave me the "NO WAY" answer. But she said the reason is the extension deadline from the Feds. She did say she'd keep my info, in case the Feds extend again and it's retro.

Unless things change (which they do with my company) I'm suppose to be hired on full time this week, with a pay raise. That should throw me out of a need for unemployment payments at all for now, as long as I can get more than 32 hours a week. I just pray that they don't starting cutting hours again (which they do regularly, it's the food production industry) and I make too little to pay all the bills.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:29 PM

OK then it really isn't you worked for one week problem its because you ended up at a Tier point in your claim. If that's the case yes everyone is in the same boat right now with the government not passing cutoff date extensions.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:38 PM

No, I hadn't finished with a Tier. I still had $2,000+. They're saying I'm starting a new claim now, not continuing my old one, because they closed my account cause I had 1 check (before taxes) more than my unemployment payment would have been.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:52 PM

Strange is all I can say, I personally dont trust what the UI people tell me on the phone, I believe I know more about the UI stuff now then they do. Your the first and only person I have seen on here not be able to pick up their claim where they left off after doing some temp work. Ive done it and many others here have done it without any problem. I guess it could be just how Kansas works I guess. Just seems strange to me. If I were you I would go to a UI office near you that handles this kind of stuff as one last ditch effort to make sure.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:49 AM

Nearest office to me is over 100 miles away. I can't get there. Kansas is weird.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:45 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
Ramblin - check through the requirements for KS on this site - The requirements for a new claim are the same as for your original claim, only the BP (base period) changes. Was that one week you earned more than UE the only week you worked since you originally filed, or have you been working pt?

It may be you're eligible for a new claim if you've earned 30 x your WBA over your first BY.

http://workforcesecurity.doleta.gov/...9/monetary.pdf

Old 06-16-2010, 02:05 PM

Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, I've worked 2 or 3 months, but every week's pay was 32 hours or less, which added up to less than what I was getting from UE.

Fortunately, the company hired me for full time yesterday. So I hope things get better now. After 2 years, it's about time.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:08 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
Good luck with the FT hours - hope they can keep it up for you (or until you can get something that pays more hours/better wages)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment