Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 12:36 AM

9 posts, read 147,947 times

Advertisements

Benefits Foreign IP Addresses

There needs to be action taken to tighten control of the UI benefit web claim filing and certification processes to identify and prevent payments to ineligible claimants. . Analysis has shown a significant amount of web activity originating from outside the US, its territories or Canada.

Current Status Report: 04/15/11 Installation of the claimant attestations for original claims and weekly certifications was moved to staging and will be implemented next Wednesday. We met with UID Thursday to discuss the status of the project. As requested, they have provided us with the text for the Claimant Chronology Log posting and the message claimants will get in the future when they attempt to certify from out of the country. We also clarified with UID the list of allowable countries to claim benefits from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 10:31 AM

130 posts, read 426,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa17 View Post

There needs to be action taken to tighten control of the UI benefit web claim filing and certification processes to identify and prevent payments to ineligible claimants. . Analysis has shown a significant amount of web activity originating from outside the US, its territories or Canada.

Current Status Report: 04/15/11 Installation of the claimant attestations for original claims and weekly certifications was moved to staging and will be implemented next Wednesday. We met with UID Thursday to discuss the status of the project. As requested, they have provided us with the text for the Claimant Chronology Log posting and the message claimants will get in the future when they attempt to certify from out of the country. We also clarified with UID the list of allowable countries to claim benefits from.
Finally maybe something will get done. I'm sick and tired of our beautiful country being taken advantage of and resources stolen from the truly needy.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:41 PM

Default A bit close minded

"Finally maybe something will get done. I'm sick and tired of our beautiful country being taken advantage of and resources stolen from the truly needy"-Mel-BG

Who is taking advantage or stealing from your beautiful country? And what is your basis of "needy"?

And maybe you were fortunate enough to have a job during this economic recession which was caused by the greed of those that really raped America of its resources.

Maybe I should have just couched it, watched some day time television, cracked a Budweiser and collected my $206/week. Instead I took the skills I learned and tried to apply them to the global economy.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:03 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Quote:
Instead I took the skills I learned and tried to apply them to the global economy.
Smart, young people should not be limiting their job search to this country. It is a global economy. You've planted seeds here and there. You never know when one will sprout. I admire your initiative.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:58 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:

This is a downright silly policy. People could simply have a family member in the states file their weekly claims for them.

Quote:
Finally maybe something will get done. I'm sick and tired of our beautiful country being taken advantage of and resources stolen from the truly needy.
Truly needy? Unemployment isn't based on income and assets. A billionaire can collect if his termination qualifieds. People work for unemployment. It's not welfare.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:13 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,975,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This is a downright silly policy. People could simply have a family member in the states file their weekly claims for them.
And without approval by the UI, that would be fraud. UI regs require that individuals file for themselves -- or that a surrogate give a truthful explanation why he/she is filing for the claimant.
Quote:
Truly needy? Unemployment isn't based on income and assets. A billionaire can collect if his termination qualifieds. People work for unemployment. It's not welfare.
People don't "work for" unemployment. Simply working does not entitle a person to unemployment benefits. Unemployment is a benefit provided by the state/federal governments for which unemployed people may -- or may not -- be eligible.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
And without approval by the UI, that would be fraud. UI regs require that individuals file for themselves -- or that a surrogate give a truthful explanation why he/she is filing for the claimant.
I'm just pointing out that it's a flawed plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
People don't "work for" unemployment. Simply working does not entitle a person to unemployment benefits. Unemployment is a benefit provided by the state/federal governments for which unemployed people may -- or may not -- be eligible.
Hey! You're the one who said that unemployment was for the truly needy.

It's not. Need is not a criteria.

And I already qualified my response to include eligibility.

You really haven't retorted with anything that proves only the truly needy should have unemployment.

Why? Because you can't. The law allows for anyone to collect unemployment if they qualify. Financial need is not part of the qualification.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:13 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,975,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm just pointing out that it's a flawed plan.

Hey! You're the one who said that unemployment was for the truly needy.

It's not. Need is not a criteria.

And I already qualified my response to include eligibility.

You really haven't retorted with anything that proves only the truly needy should have unemployment.

Why? Because you can't. The law allows for anyone to collect unemployment if they qualify. Financial need is not part of the qualification.
I didn't defend that statement because I never made it -- not in this thread, not in any thread. Please take the time to check your sources before you make unsubstantiated allegations -- and direct the rant accordingly...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel-BG View Post

Last edited by diorgirl; 04-23-2011 at 12:37 AM..

Old 04-23-2011, 02:39 AM

It's the complacency of Americans that got us in this mess in the first place. We are taught our whole lives to conform, conform, conform until one day what we have conformed to can no longer support.

There is a huge globalization process taking place in this world and Americans are blinded by the media, by the government, and those around them.

Sure the UI system is flawed and people abuse it. Quite honestly I was surprised they qualified me for benefits in the first place. But the program works, I was able to search for work outside our collapsing economy and better prepare myself for globalization. UI gave me opportunity to build my skills and adapt. I have now opened many doors, and have a better chance of succeeding in the ever changing markets.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:12 AM

130 posts, read 426,371 times
Quote:
"Finally maybe something will get done. I'm sick and tired of our beautiful country being taken advantage of and resources stolen from the truly needy"-Mel-BG

Who is taking advantage or stealing from your beautiful country? And what is your basis of "needy"?

And maybe you were fortunate enough to have a job during this economic recession which was caused by the greed of those that really raped America of its resources.

Maybe I should have just couched it, watched some day time television, cracked a Budweiser and collected my $206/week. Instead I took the skills I learned and tried to apply them to the global economy.
You can do as you feel however imo I do not believe it is just for someone to collect benefits if they are not living in the USA just because they filed a claim here.

DELETED: Rude comments are not allowed.

Last edited by JMT; 04-24-2011 at 07:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment