Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 06:36 PM

77 posts, read 490,387 times

Advertisements

I will inform UI in writing prior to going. I am assuming there is some written way you can get prior permission (or not) for things like this? Since ultimately they are the ones to grant the permission I think I am best suited getting permission (or not) from UI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 06:44 PM

577 posts, read 1,759,252 times
Well after seeing your other post about a prenatal appt... is it a good idea to go to Haiti anyway if you are pregnant? Not sure I'd risk my health in a place that is hurting so much for medical supplies and care. I'm thinking whoever you are volunteering for would not allow it either... but thats just a guess.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:50 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYUI View Post
I will inform UI in writing prior to going. I am assuming there is some written way you can get prior permission (or not) for things like this? Since ultimately they are the ones to grant the permission I think I am best suited getting permission (or not) from UI.
No, it doesn't work that way. They have regulations that you can read right now. They won't pre-approve you for anything, especially not a vacation to Haiti. There are other ways to volunteer and you know it.

When UI finds out you scammed them, they will not only cut off your checks, but they will also take back all the money that you fraudulently collected, plus a fine.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:52 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,937 times
Not one person in this thread agrees with you. What you are proposing is fraud, end of story.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:21 PM

77 posts, read 490,387 times
I will ask them ahead of time in writing and will send in a letter of support from the nonprofit organization (anyone who has been to Haiti knows its certainly not a vacation), and if they do not approve me, then I will not go. That is not fraud. End of Story

Old 06-17-2010, 06:01 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
They aren't going to approve it. There's no reason for them to do so. It's not approved training, and you will not be available for work.

Volunteering is great, but do so where you live so you can be ready and able to work on under 24 hours notice, otherwise it's a vacation on the taxpayers dime.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:00 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,635,679 times
On the NJ UE Claim Certification question #1 is “Were you able and available for work?” Not sure how available one could be, if at all, while travelling overseas. As others have mentioned there are plenty of volunteering opportunities right here at home in the US and very likely plenty of volunteering opportunities right in your local neighborhood. If you want to volunteer UE could point out that you don’t need to travel very far, not at all in fact, to find something to do with your spare time while you’re not looking for work.

Traveling overseas and out of the country like this while collecting UE serves to fuel the anti unemployment, extensions, additional tiers, extending deadlines, etc. sentiment that is hurting people who desperately need these benefits to keep their houses, pay the bills and keep their heads above water.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:56 PM
N_A

21 posts, read 58,920 times
I like the way people talking smack and don’t know what they are talking about. How many of you who say the OP can’t do it have ever requested it? Probably none of you. But you’re automatically thinking the OP is trying to get over, cheat the system, have pie and eat it too.

Fact is, earlier this year I traveled abroad while receiving UI benefits… on VACATION… and with the PERMISSION OF THE LOCAL OFFICE!! I explained the situation to the office, that this was a trip that was planned and paid for before I became unemployed. While away I still looked for and applied for jobs via the Internet, email, and phone! I could have come back and interviewed if needed, and I was much farther away than Haiti. In addition to that, other people have done it with the permission of their office, and you can read about it on the 'net.

Somebody mentioned “checking want ads, tending job fairs, knocking on doors”. What is this, 1985? Who still flips thru a newspaper for work? Who in this day and time still goes to useless job fairs? Who the heck visits employers anymore? I mean, really, knocking on doors?! You can do all of this stuff via the Internet. And no employer is going to talk to somebody one day and expect them to report to work the very next morning. Come on now. It seems you don’t want the OP to do what they want to and so you are coming up with all types of scenarios to spoil it, instead of just offering advice on how it can be done legally and morally.

The fact that the OP called the local office and wasn’t told no implies the office would not have a problem with it as long as the OP is looking and available. Where exactly does it say that you have to be in the country while looking for work? If it was so illegal and immoral the office would have said so right off the bat. If it was so against the rules, it would specifically say no traveling outside of the country. The best bet is for the OP to verify things with the local office, but according to what was mentioned earlier the office is leaving it up to the OP to make the call.

Again, I hope the OP was able to accomplish his/her goal while receiving the benefits. And to everybody else, don’t act like you know when you really don’t.

Last edited by N_A; 07-13-2010 at 07:10 PM..

Old 07-13-2010, 07:32 PM

100 posts, read 291,667 times
I volunteered for special olympics for 2 days 60 miles from where I lived. Got those days taken off my 44 dollars a week U/I.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:01 PM

229 posts, read 573,908 times
Wow - almost wasn't going to put in my $.02 but if you think you can get something in writing form UI, that would be the way to go. IF the extension goes through, you know there will be scrutiny from all aspects so those that opposed can prove they were right after all.

Tricky situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment