Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 03:14 PM

30 posts, read 33,862 times

Advertisements

I just got the message today for the first time ever.

"Your certification cannot be completed as EB has ended in your resident state."

I am in TX. I have been on UI for 99 months. I had been claiming every week instead of every 2 weeks for the last 30 or so months (the mail forms started coming every week and said to claim every week). I missed Thanksgiving week because the site was down for me all Thursday and Friday. I claimed the week after Thanksgiving and it gave me 2 weeks worth though. This is the week after that and I am seeing this message for the first time. It still said I had like $4000 left on my EB round.

So am I done because of 99 months and their error / claim balance was just wrong? ...or will I be able to claim next week and get 2 weeks again? ...or am I waiting for Obama's newest extension to get approved? ...or do I need to call NJ and have them fix my account?

Just found this about Obama's deal 2 days ago: "13-month extension of unemployment benefits beyond the current 99 WEEKS". Can someone please verify if I am going to get this or not living in TX but collecting from NJ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 03:33 PM

141 posts, read 362,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugmejohn View Post

Just found this about Obama's deal 2 days ago: "13-month extension of unemployment benefits beyond the current 99 WEEKS". Can someone please verify if I am going to get this or not living in TX but collecting from NJ?
I don't know where you found it but there's no plan to extend Unemployment Benefits beyond 99 weeks. Sorry.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:52 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,529,756 times
Quote:

"Your certification cannot be completed as EB has ended in your resident state."

I am in TX. I have been on UI for 99 months. I had been claiming every week instead of every 2 weeks for the last 30 or so months (the mail forms started coming every week and said to claim every week). I missed Thanksgiving week because the site was down for me all Thursday and Friday. I claimed the week after Thanksgiving and it gave me 2 weeks worth though. This is the week after that and I am seeing this message for the first time. It still said I had like $4000 left on my EB round.

So am I done because of 99 months and their error / claim balance was just wrong? ...or will I be able to claim next week and get 2 weeks again? ...or am I waiting for Obama's newest extension to get approved? ...or do I need to call NJ and have them fix my account?

Texas, along with many other states, ceased paying EB on December 4th. We have an entire thread dedicated to the phaseout dates of EB for the various states here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/16838895-post10.html

The maximum benefits under the expired legislation allowed the equivalent of 99 weeks (not months), including 20 weeks of EB. You say you have been collecting for 30 months - did you mean weeks? Were you working off and on while collecting benefits in order to stretch the 99 weeks to 30 months (the equivalent of 130 weeks)?

When and if an extension is passed, and IF EB is included in this extension, it is very likely you will be able to resume collecting EB, provided Texas is statutorily able to do this.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:13 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,980,941 times
Quote:

Can someone please verify if I am going to get this or not living in TX but collecting from NJ?
You mention that you are living in Texas, but collecting unemployment benefits from New Jersey.

NJ has a reciprocity rule for EB for non-residents. If you collect EB from NJ but you live in another state, NJ will pay you two weeks of EB. In order to be eligible for the remainder of EB from NJ, your state of residence also has to offer EB.

So residents of states which do not provide EB when the 100% federal funding expires will have their NJ EB stopped, even while NJ continues to pay EB to its residents.

As already posted, Texas has phased out its EB -- therefore, NJ will not continue to pay EB to Texas residents.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:35 PM

Sorry, change all my "months" to "weeks" in my OP.

My source article on "13 months beyond the 99 weeks" was bogus; I found many other stories saying that it has nothing to do with the 99week limit. I had found it searching Google News for "99 week unemployment", but cannot easily find it again.

I estimate it has been almost exactly 99 weeks since I was laidoff.
I missed 4 weeks of collecting (about 60 weeks ago) and had to call and re-apply to get it rolling again.
I have been on EB for about 6 weeks.
It just cut off this week... I guess because TX EB just got cut off Dec 4th.
I wish I had notice of this, as I thought I would be able to exhaust my EB benefit balance (still ~$4k left) before I was SOL. Marry Christmas

Shouldn't I have received 99 weeks (103 from lay-off since I missed 4) before EB ever started?

Old 12-09-2010, 07:14 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,849,697 times
NO - it's 26 weeks regular UE + a max of 53 weeks EUC (federal Tiers) + 20 weeks max state Extended Benefits (IF your state pays them and they are all available to you at the time) which = 26+53+20=99 - but the 99 is the MAXIMUM anyone can collect (and not all can)

Old 12-10-2010, 07:47 AM

874 posts, read 729,848 times
not all sates will get 99 weeks, its an illusion.

certain triggers must be met to have a teir 3 and 4. certain states stop now at teir 2 because the unemployment rate is low.

so its all a big fat lie.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:00 PM

Ok, one last question... if TX were to re-instate EB in the next couple months, could I go to NJ online and continue to get the 4 weeks left in my 99, or even the 7 weeks left in my EB balance (yes, none of the numbers add up correctly for me, but I do realize that doesn't matter if TX doesn't have EB going again).

Old 12-10-2010, 07:13 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,849,697 times
Quote:
Ok, one last question... if TX were to re-instate EB in the next couple months, could I go to NJ online and continue to get the 4 weeks left in my 99, or even the 7 weeks left in my EB balance (yes, none of the numbers add up correctly for me, but I do realize that doesn't matter if TX doesn't have EB going again).
Short answer is yes you could once again file with NJ to collect the balance of your EB as long as TX was paying EB.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,140 times
Angry Unbelievable!

I too was just awarded EB's, got one two week payment, and was totally BLOWN AWAY when I read that TN affects my claim. TN doesn't have a [STRONG EXPLETIVE) thing to do with my unemployment. Upon returning from completing a DoD contract in Afghanistan, I called TN to file because that's where I lived. They said they couldn't do sh*t for me, and gave me the number to NJ's unemployment insurance folks, who gladly hooked me up and told me I could claim, if need be, for 99 months. I'm no where near the 99 month mark. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the money you collect while on unemployment come from what YOU, THE WORKER, paid in and what the employer had to pay in too? If that's the case, then HOW IN THE HELL could TN affect monies I paid in while working in Afghanistan for an employer based in NJ, who also paid in? Am I missing something here, or are we just cuttin' into somebody's ridiculous bonus somewhere in political La-La Land. AND ALL THIS SH*T CAME UPON ALL OF US WITHOUT WARNING. I HATE TO SAY IT, BUT WAIT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS TO THE CRIME RATE IN THESE STATES.

"I see stupid people...they're everywhere...and most of them don't even know they're stupid."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment