Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 09:43 PM

43 posts, read 93,865 times

Advertisements

It isn't going to happen. The G.O.P. has shot down the democratic proposal and the President Of The United States 57 to 41??? What are they thinking. It is stated that 1.2 million unemployed have exhausted all benefits and that approximately 200,000 unemployed will be loosing thier benefits each week. These were elected officials folks, those of us unemployed that voted Republican during the last election, well hopefully you won't vote Republican again. Keep in mind that it was a Republican President that started this great recession rolling while in office. What an embarressment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 10:04 PM

31 posts, read 143,586 times
Hate to burst your bubble, but the dems shot down a stand alone offer to extend AND pay for the extension and they shot it down-twice- the latest being earlier this week.

This is beyond blaming dems or reps, this is about blaming our elected officials. You can bet the farm I won't be voting for any one of the sorry butts sitting there.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:13 PM

21 posts, read 33,566 times
People of America! Its time we get our heads out of are backsides! Niether party is for us!

When in Doubt vote them out!

As someone said before I can`t wait till they come home on vacation! I am going to there office and any meetings they have and get in there face how I will vote against them! Any incumbent no matter which party is not getting my vote but will get an ear full! If we all face them at there offices and town halls we will be even stronger then the tea party! We will be the 99ERS Movement and I for one will be holding up a big sign in the color pink with the Title NOW HERE`S YOUR PINK SLIP

If you truly feel its just the reps or just them dems then they will always have there way with us!!! not till we all stand and say enough of both of you will they listen!

Old 06-24-2010, 10:14 PM

377 posts, read 588,998 times
They also shot down a republican proposed and paid for 30 day extension after today's vote.

Additionally republicans attempted to tie it to the next small business bill and the democrats shot that down too.

Every time republicans have tried to pass their own version of unemployment extensions, democrats immediately refused while saying "republicans don't want to pass unemployment extensions."

It would be funny if people weren't gullible enough to fall for it, which apparently, they are.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:16 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginej5q View Post
It isn't going to happen. The G.O.P. has shot down the democratic proposal and the President Of The United States 57 to 41??? What are they thinking. It is stated that 1.2 million unemployed have exhausted all benefits and that approximately 200,000 unemployed will be loosing thier benefits each week. These were elected officials folks, those of us unemployed that voted Republican during the last election, well hopefully you won't vote Republican again. Keep in mind that it was a Republican President that started this great recession rolling while in office. What an embarressment.
You're playing political games is all with this issue. Your beloved political party is in power and what's it getting you? Why don't you demand jobs instead of more handouts? The handouts aren't getting the economy on track, and we can't just keep piling trillions more debt.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:19 PM

377 posts, read 588,998 times
The only thing that creates jobs is government staying out of business. Demanding a job from government means you are demanding a government job which is paid for by tax dollars.

Not to mention that if people who are unemployed hadn't had to spend so much of their previous employable income on taxes, they could have set that money aside and relied on it when times get tough. But since we've all had jobs and paid lots of tax money, well, time to take some of those tax dollars back.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:44 PM

21 posts, read 33,566 times
I recieved a very nice and heart felt touching letter from Sen. Frankenstin.

here is my reply

Dear Senator Feinstein,

Thank you for your letter.

I understand the Republicans voted against tiers 1-4, and the Democrats voted against a seperate, stand alone, offer to extend and pay for the new extension to unemployment twice. It shames me that all I see are 2 parties ducking for November election cover.

The sad story for both parties will be, they will be facing 1.2 million plus unemployed voters who have exhausted all benefits, and approximately 200,000 more unemployed voters who will be loosing their benefits each week. These voters will be as I am, and will recall who stood up for them! Who was on the Ed Shultz show. Who spoke out for them, but most of all, which Representatives gave them nothing but idle chit chat.

I know for a fact, you can do a whole lot more with your bullying pulpit. But, if that is how you want it, so be it!

Regards,

Dan Souther

Old 06-24-2010, 11:39 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Let's not beat a dead horse. The upcoming small business loan bill focus on job creation. Let's hope that passes now and actually stimulates hiring. Jobs are better than UI.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:44 AM

14,108 posts, read 2,774,571 times
Yes, jobs are better then UI, but here in Michigan I'm seeing to many "help wanted" signs.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:39 AM

68 posts, read 162,668 times
I could not imagine being one of the 1.2 million people who are at the end of their unemployment benefits and have no way to pay for food,housing and bills.
The thought of it is so scary.No money and no jobs to be found.What are they going to do without their unemployment checks?
It's such a sad situation.
Even if they do pass a bill to create jobs I would think it'll take quite a long time to see any results from that bill.
All those unemployed people need help now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment