Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 05:51 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,083,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
In today's world it will be they loose their jobs first and no one spoke up, they ran out of unemployment and no one spoke up, they lost their cars and no one spoke up, they lost their homes and no one spoke up. They became homeless and there was no one left to speak up.
First the Wealthy came to send the manufacturing jobs to Mexico and China, but I didn't speak up because I wasn't a blue collar worker.

Then they sent computer programming and other white collar jobs to India and China, but I didn't speak up because I didn't work in any of the affected fields.

Then they imported foreigners on L-1 and H-1B visas to displace Americans from IT jobs and other jobs here in the U.S. while also driving down wages, but I didn't speak up because I didn't work in those fields.

Then they imported tens of millions of impoverished immigrants to displace Americans from poverty-wage jobs and construction jobs while also driving down wages, but I didn't speak up because I wasn't poor and I didn't work in construction.

Then they finally came and sent my knowledge-based job to India but Americans had become so accustomed to poverty, unemployment, and job losses that it didn't occur to anyone to speak up for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 05:16 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,796,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
First the Wealthy came to send the manufacturing jobs to Mexico and China, but I didn't speak up because I wasn't a blue collar worker.

Then they sent computer programming and other white collar jobs to India and China, but I didn't speak up because I didn't work in any of the affected fields.

Then they imported foreigners on L-1 and H-1B visas to displace Americans from IT jobs and other jobs here in the U.S. while also driving down wages, but I didn't speak up because I didn't work in those fields.

Then they imported tens of millions of impoverished immigrants to displace Americans from poverty-wage jobs and construction jobs while also driving down wages, but I didn't speak up because I wasn't poor and I didn't work in construction.

Then they finally came and sent my knowledge-based job to India but Americans had become so accustomed to poverty, unemployment, and job losses that it didn't occur to anyone to speak up for me.
We ALL really need to start speaking up for each other more, hey? Where we begin needs to be established and carried out with fervor. Where do we begin?

Old 07-08-2010, 05:47 PM

387 posts, read 534,068 times
Facetiously speaking I can't imagine who wouldn't want to live inside of a prison or under a bridge. Homeless shelters, tent cities, and back allies are all the rave these days. They all have the accommodations of expensive condos and resorts. Your health would never be in jeopardy and you will always get a nutritious meal, showers, clothing, and entertainment. It pays to be lazy. It really does. I can understand why millions of people don't want to work. It feels great to have your home taken away. It feels great to be bored. And unemployment benefits offer excellent pay. You can easily buy a mansion, new cars, go on expensive vacations, and eat out every night for decades to come. It all makes perfect sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
I'm very tired of hearing that the millions of unemployed in this country are ALL just a bunch of lazy abusers. This is how holier-than-thou elitists attempt justification of the thought process that has begun to destroy this country. The unemployment rate has NOT gotten any better by a long shot. The "money powers" that are continually complaining about public assistance are just the ones that have put us us in this situation.

Top US bankers admit fault in economic woes

Employment Situation Summary

There should come a time (not holding my breath) when the blue collar worker gets true respect for the work we do. I should say, "did". You can have all the money in the world but you'll never profit without people to manufacture, sell, and serve any product.

Income Inequality in the US - Reasons for US Income Inequality

A lot of reading here. Brings many things into perspective. As long as ones perspective isn't skewed.

How Does US Economy Work - Understanding How the US Economy Works

I hope all of us true, real, hard workers see better days sooner than later.

Please leave the Obama and Bush bashing for the political forum. Please.

Last edited by LoyalTrust; 07-08-2010 at 05:56 PM..

Old 07-09-2010, 12:30 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,083,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
We ALL really need to start speaking up for each other more, hey? Where we begin needs to be established and carried out with fervor. Where do we begin?
I think we need to make more Americans aware of what Global Labor Arbitrage is and why basic principles of economic essentially dictate that our exposure to it will transform the United States into a third world country.

We have to first fight the philosophical battle before we can ever attempt to organize and fight a political battle. Most Americans from what I can tell still believe in free market dogma and they still believe that free trade is good for us. We have to prepare and present coherent and convincing arguments to convince them otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment