Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 04:33 PM

41 posts, read 127,780 times

Advertisements

Okay I just last week had to reapply for unemployment because my benifits end year date came up. I did had over 5k left on the current plan. Anyway, I called and went through it and now I get about $4000 instead of the $5000 I had last week. My checks are now cut in half.. Was bringing in $332 before taxes, now it's $163 before taxes. Checks on hold too.

No I did not work anything at all during the previous benefits year, heck couldn't find anything, had one interview which got cancelled day of interview due to a hiring freeze.

I don't understand, from what I understood since I didn't work, there were no new anything and I was suppose to just continue my previous claim, not start a whole brand new one.

Am I right? Suppose to be with this whole tier system

Get 26 weeks of state, then Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3, Tier 4(I know if available) then the emergency benefits which makes the 99 weeks. But technically the way it seemed to hit me I did my 26 state, Tier 1 (seneate didn't pass the exentsion) so I went to EB, in the middle of EB was one year, now I am starting from scratch it seems to me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 05:12 PM

115 posts, read 410,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patheon View Post
Okay I just last week had to reapply for unemployment because my benifits end year date came up. I did had over 5k left on the current plan. Anyway, I called and went through it and now I get about $4000 instead of the $5000 I had last week. My checks are now cut in half.. Was bringing in $332 before taxes, now it's $163 before taxes. Checks on hold too.

No I did not work anything at all during the previous benefits year, heck couldn't find anything, had one interview which got cancelled day of interview due to a hiring freeze.

I don't understand, from what I understood since I didn't work, there were no new anything and I was suppose to just continue my previous claim, not start a whole brand new one.

Get 26 weeks of state, then Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3, Tier 4(I know if available) then the emergency benefits which makes the 99 weeks. But technically the way it seemed to hit me I did my 26 state, Tier 1 (seneate didn't pass the exentsion) so I went to EB, in the middle of EB was one year, now I am starting from scratch it seems to me...

This happened to me as well in oct 2009. I had to reapply, despite being on T1. The reason is that my 'original' claim started in Nov 2008, but then I worked in 2009 (but I kept my claim active, wouldn't matter if I did anyway), then became unemployed again.

Claims are for 1 year, so when that year is up- you re-apply.

To make matters more confusing in my case- after I started from scratch with a new claim in Nov 2009, of course with a lower weekly amount (less $100/week), they put me back on my Original claim for tier 3 in Feb 2010-May 2010, then back to T1 on my new claim.

It's my understanding though that if you haven't worked for the claim period, not at all, then they're supposed to put you back on your claim to finish it out. At least here in Texas.

Where are you located? That would help for a start.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:25 PM

49 posts, read 352,945 times
Quote:

It sounds like you received a new claim packet with new claim award, etc. Wait a few days and see if you also receive an invalid claim letter. Are you sure that you didn't report some income or severance payment, etc. during your benefit year ? I went thru a similar hassle with EDD.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:29 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,046,581 times
From previous posts, you are in CT.

Are you sure about that checks cut in half thing? or just the lowered total? A lowered total means less weeks, not lower weekly benefits. Seems to me they are crediting you for weeks lost so far, and you will see that go down, but the weekly benefit has not changed. Tier 2 is only 13 weeks.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:34 PM

I'm from CT, yes positive about the checks being cut in half. Pulled up a claim inquiry to find out why I didn't get my check today like I normally do. Last week I was getting $332 before taxes, this week $163 before taxes. Plus check is on hold.

Also no I did not report any earnings whatsoever, had none.

Yes I did receive in the mail a claim evaluation thingie like when I first apply..

I am almost positive that they just put me on a new claim instead of reopening my original.

Like I said, I had over $5000 last week to be claimed, this week just over $4000.. major changes.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:51 PM

87 posts, read 652,133 times
Since the title of this thread is, "Unemployment confusion", it seems like the best place to ask my own question about how extensions work. I'm on my first 26 weeks collecting the maximum amount paid by UI, but that time as well as my claim balance are both about to be used up. Since my claim balance is nearly depleted, what happens with an extension?

Sorry to be probably the millionth person to ask this same question in some form. Maybe someone could put a "sticky" at the top of this forum with some info re: UI and Extensions for Dummies.

Thanks for any help.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:34 PM

Well Grrr, because senate passed the tier extensions again, you should either a) be put right into them nice and easy, b) you might have to go to state emergency benifits then be switched to the federal tier, or c)you will get someone who hasn't a clue what is happening and mess up your payments which makes you spend 10 weeks arguing to a recording on the phone that tells you they have too many callers and call again later and hangs up on you.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:49 PM

100 posts, read 297,178 times
Quote:
Well Grrr, because senate passed the tier extensions again, you should either a) be put right into them nice and easy, b) you might have to go to state emergency benifits then be switched to the federal tier, or c)you will get someone who hasn't a clue what is happening and mess up your payments which makes you spend 10 weeks arguing to a recording on the phone that tells you they have too many callers and call again later and hangs up on you.
Wasnt passed yet. They vote tomorrow. Also, he will exhaust all tiers before moving to EB

Old 07-20-2010, 10:17 PM

87 posts, read 652,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnmastr85 View Post
Wasnt passed yet. They vote tomorrow. Also, he will exhaust all tiers before moving to EB
Thank you for responding to my question. BTW--I am a "she", not a "he".

Okay, I'm totally confused. I thought the tiers = "EB". Can you explain the difference? I feel really stupid because I've been reading on this forum for quite a while now and somehow I still don't understand.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:22 PM

100 posts, read 297,178 times
The tiers are called EUC. The state funding is called EB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment