Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 10:26 AM

63 posts, read 165,122 times

Advertisements

I've been out of work for 1 1/2 years. Never been out of work in my 25 years of work.

Out of all the companies I have applied for, never once did I get a call back.
Every so often, I will post my resume on Craigslist.
2 times this summer, a reputable company will call me because they found my resume. The first company ended up hiring someone else.
Then the second one called me on August 11, really impressed with my work qualifications and said they had a 'few other names in the hat, but might just bring me in to see if I would be interested in the position.', but then said the guy who was in charge of hiring was on vacation wouldn't be back for a week or so. I honestly thought I had this one in the bag.
Well, 2 weeks later, no call so I called him. He didn't answer so I left a message.
Nothing.
Waited one more week, I called again. Left another message.
Nothing.
Geez, even the ones who like me won't hire me.

Of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 10:51 AM

2,499 posts, read 3,248,183 times
It the way things go these days. There are millions of unemployed Americans so they can pick and chose whom to hire. Good luck!

Old 09-01-2011, 03:13 PM

190 posts, read 498,254 times
When I was a hiring manager I had several excellent resumes, similar in nature, from which to choose for one position. During the interview process I'd show a bit more interest in the people who really stood out, perhaps unintentionally giving all of these candidates the impression they were "in".

Since I could only hire one person the people who didn't make the cut were bound to be disappointed -- goes with the territory. I always encouraged applicants to give me a call for the results if I couldn't get back to them in a day or two. All they had to do was ask if the job was filled yet.

Now that I'm on the other end of things these principles remain. I know how wrong it is to jump to conclusions even when the interview goes extremely well.

I've learned if I'm edged out by someone else it doesn't mean the employer was not genuinely impressed by my qualifications. One of these days I'm confident I'll be the one doing the "edging" and that phone call will be for me.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:39 PM

31 posts, read 229,934 times
Hello,

First I would like to say, I am sorry for your dismay!

I too applied to many doctors offices, dental offices, I also am a dental assitant by trade so even applied to several of their employment notices. In addition I sent resumes to just about anything I thought I might like, or could do.

As you, I did not receive calls back either, I did have one good interview, but it fell through.

Also, I have good experience, good education, and did not even place the shcool down that I was having all the troubles with thinking if I got an interview I would cross that bridge when I come to it.

At any rate, what I found most disturbing is everything is done online, no personal connection what so ever, it almost appeared that my resume was lost in space!

I sent out approx 20 per day, I thought possibly my age, I am 54.

I can present myself nicely in person, at interviews, dress nice, which truly is to my benefit, and others too that can interview well, but online of course we don't have that opportunity.

I think job fairs might be a good way to meet the employers looking for employees, and you can speak to them in person, possibly an employment agent, the labor dept., but unfortunatley most jobs now a days are few, and heard of then received through word of mouth, my opinion of course.

My husband who worked for years at GM, went through that mess, and took the early retirement, 5 years ago, he is now turning 60, he is a "jack of all trades."

So when a maintenance postion opened up at my neighbors employment at a nursing home, she informed my husband, he went in, she put in a good word for him, and he was hired...Very furtunate, since my husband can pay for medical ins through that employer, at a cheaper rate, also I had just lost my job with the school with our health ins benefits.

I am sure something will come your way if you keep at it, try not to get to dicouraged if possible.

I hope if you are receiving unemployment benfits the money will help to put food on your table, as well as enable you to live a fairly content life for the time anyway.

Best to you
Pattylyn

Old 09-01-2011, 05:36 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,052,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGirl70 View Post
I've been out of work for 1 1/2 years. Never been out of work in my 25 years of work.

2 times this summer, a reputable company will call me because they found my resume. The first company ended up hiring someone else.
Then the second one called me on August 11, really impressed with my work qualifications and said they had a 'few other names in the hat, but might just bring me in to see if I would be interested in the position.', but then said the guy who was in charge of hiring was on vacation wouldn't be back for a week or so. I honestly thought I had this one in the bag.
Well, 2 weeks later, no call so I called him. He didn't answer so I left a message.
Nothing.
Nothing.

Of course.
Where you lost me is when you posted on craigslist looking for a job, might as well post in the trashcan

Old 09-02-2011, 01:21 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
Where you lost me is when you posted on craigslist looking for a job, might as well post in the trashcan
I've received many phone calls from jobs posted on Craigslist. INFACT, they are the ONLY ones who actually call me.

I've had interviews with NYU & KPMG because of using Craigslist. I've also worked for a medical research company as a recruiter traveling the US to attend conferences for them.

Case in point..don't knock it until you try it!

Old 09-02-2011, 11:32 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,313,826 times
yeah why can't more employers be honest?

Old 09-02-2011, 01:22 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
I have a friend whose daughter gets ALL her jobs through Craigslist. Some work out well, some are stinkers. The two jobs she has now she's had for quite a while and got both through Craigslist. I don't think she ever uses the jobs websites or applies off employer websites.

I've had very good luck with callbacks and interviews off employer websites and a jobs board. I NEVER use Craigslist. Not an orderly website imo, and you have to keep reposting to keep your ad 'up there.' But it works for a lot of people, clearly.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:14 PM

5,346 posts, read 4,047,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGirl70 View Post

Nothing.
Nothing.

Of course.
What city are you located in?...

Old 09-03-2011, 11:53 PM

574 posts, read 1,640,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
yeah why can't more employers be honest?
There is no incentive for them to be honest!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment