Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2010, 12:37 PM

10 posts, read 15,361 times

Advertisements

<P>I just recieved my benefits letter from stating that I am now on Tier II.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>It also states that Massachusetts EB program ended on June 26, 2010 regardless of any credit you may have.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>It also says that because congress did not extend federal funding once I complete this tier, I will not be eligible to collect benefits on the next tier.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>Is this correct? I am totally confused as I thought this was addressed with the latest extension bil.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>Any advice appreciated.&nbsp; Thanks!</P>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 03:01 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,582,190 times
Call or visit your local unemployment office for clarification. There are triggers for Tiers III, IV and EB. It is possible Mass is not participating in EB at this time, but the tiers should not be affected unless the state unemployment rate is below its triggers.

This from diorgirl:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
The three-month average unemployment rate triggers for Tiers III and IV in all states are:
• EUC Tier III - up to 13 weeks (state must have a three-month average unemployment rate of at least 6%).
• EUC Tier IV - up to 6 weeks (state must have a three-month average unemployment rate of at least 8.5%).

The unemployment rate triggers for EB can vary from state to state. However, most states opt for the following three-month average unemployment rate triggers:
• EB - up to 13 weeks (state must have a three-month average unemployment rate of at least 6%),
• High EB - up to an additional 7 weeks (state must have a three-month average unemployment rate of at least 8%).

Many states also require that EB is funded 100% by the federal government as one of the criterion for offering these benefits.

You should check your state's DOL website for the specific EB requirements that are in effect in your state.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:06 PM

Thanks so much.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:52 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,858,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnaby View Post
I just recieved my benefits letter from stating that I am now on Tier II
It also states that Massachusetts EB program ended on June 26, 2010 regardless of any credit you may have
It also says that because congress did not extend federal funding once I complete this tier, I will not be eligible to collect benefits on the next tier
Is this correct? I am totally confused as I thought this was addressed with the latest extension bil
Any advice appreciated Thanks

It MAY be that your Tier 2 exhaustion date will take you past the current (as enacted by the bill you refer to) cutoff date to move to the next Tier and this is what the letter meant. If so, then they are correct, you won't be able to move to Tier 3 unless another extension to the deadlines is passed before then which seems unlikely at this point.

They are however incorrect in stating MA no longer offers EB....

Quote:
Federal-State Extended Benefits (EB)

Up to 20 weeks
Last effective date to file for EB is 12/19/10

Must exhaust all rights to EUC Tiers I, II, III, and IV
Payable through the week ending 12/25/10

Overview of Latest Extension Benefits (http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=elwdterminal&L=4&L0=Home&L1=Claimants&L2=U nemployment+Insurance+(UI)&L3=Information+on+Unemp loyment+Insurance+Extensions&sid=Elwd&b=terminalco ntent&f=dua_extensions_overview_7_10&csid=Elwd - broken link)

Old 08-05-2010, 07:10 PM

thanks!

Old 08-05-2010, 07:31 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,582,190 times
That is a very bizarre letter you received.

If you have just begun Tier II, you would exhaust your benefits November13 or November 20 or at the very latest November 27, any of which date would allow you to move to Tier III before the November 30th expiration of this latest extension.

Inasmuch as the letter is incorrect on Massachusetts EB, per Opyelie above, it would appear that letter was drafted prior to the passage of HR4213 with the intent to send it to all tier recipients - not just you.

Ha - I am tempted to say disregard it because it is clearly erroneous on a couple of levels, but you may want to check to be sure your claim hasn't fallen between the cracks somewhere in their computer programming. Still think it's a big goof on their part and you weren't the only one that got it.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:53 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,858,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
That is a very bizarre letter you received.

If you have just begun Tier II, you would exhaust your benefits November13 or November 20 or at the very latest November 27, any of which date would allow you to move to Tier III before the November 30th expiration of this latest extension.

Inasmuch as the letter is incorrect on Massachusetts EB, per Opyelie above, it would appear that letter was drafted prior to the passage of HR4213 with the intent to send it to all tier recipients - not just you.

Ha - I am tempted to say disregard it because it is clearly erroneous on a couple of levels, but you may want to check to be sure your claim hasn't fallen between the cracks somewhere in their computer programming. Still think it's a big goof on their part and you weren't the only one that got it.

Totally agree Ariadne, it seems to be OLD information and as usual suggest the best thing for the OP to do is contact their UE rep and find out for sure.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:30 PM

Thanks so much everyone. I'll let you know what the outcome is after I visit my local office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment