Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 11:22 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,638,097 times

Advertisements

What role are employer's playing in the high unemployment rate? Surely they must be too picky and doing unrealistic and unfair things. Let's talk about their role in all of this, since many want to assume that the unemployed are always at fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 12:27 PM

140 posts, read 612,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
What role are employer's playing in the high unemployment rate? Surely they must be too picky and doing unrealistic and unfair things. Let's talk about their role in all of this, since many want to assume that the unemployed are always at fault.
I don't think the employers are all at fault, nor are the unemployed all at fault. There are SOME in each category who are just not doing what they should do. Otherwise- I find the blame game is really non productive. This is just my opinion, of course.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:32 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,638,097 times
I didn't say they were ALL at fault. It's just that with many threads here people are assuming that the unemployed are doing all the wrong things and that it can NEVER be the employer.

Many employers discriminate based on age. Some of them full out refuse to hire the unemployed. That is the gist of my thread. These kinds of things contribute to the high unemployment rate. Employers are not totally blameless in all of this.

But I do agree that the blame game is non productive.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:23 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,736,049 times
Quote:
It is an employer's market right now. They are going to choose the best of the best that is available.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:26 PM

140 posts, read 612,454 times
Quote:

Many employers discriminate based on age.
I hear ya on that one and I've been a victim too! All I was trying to say is that it's often a lot better to concentrate on the good things that we can actually do something about. I'm sure you agree with that. I also have a real strong faith in my creator which I think is about 99.9 percent of the reason WHY I can just accept what happens and be happy about it. Only took 53 years to get here. I hope you get everything you could ever possibly want very soon. Hang in there.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:34 PM

36 posts, read 123,210 times
My issue w/ employers are that they are asking for the world; a degree, this many years of experience, travel at your own expense with your own vehicle, etc...(these are just a few examples that I have seen) but only want to pay minimum wage or slightly above. If they REALLY wanted fill that position for that pay, then they should be willing to accept someone who is willing to be trained in that position. They will be happier and the worker will be happier. A worker who is 'qualified' and accepts that position may fill it to keep an income coming in, but will leave for a better paying job at the first opportunity.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:59 PM

625 posts, read 3,636,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
It is an employer's market right now. They are going to choose the best of the best that is available.

I don't think employers are choosing the best of the best. They are basing hiring decisions on asinine things. I have heard of numerous employers taking almost a month to fill a position. When they finally fill it ..poof within a month the position is available again. It makes me wonder who did they actually hire? What did they base their hiring decision on? Better yet show me the 2nd and 3rd place candidates. I know that's never going to happen but still it makes you wonder what are some hiring managers thinking. For instance my boyfriend has a technical certificate in graphic design and anime unfortunately after 4 interviews (he graduated at the the height of this recession) he got discouraged and gave up because for entry level positions they wanted someone with 3 yrs of experience. Anyway fast forward to present day he's been doing retail receiving work and now works for UPS. A little over a month ago he interviewed for a full-time warehouse position for a company who wanted someone with forklift experience but was supposedly willing to train. He went in for an interview and they said they would get back to him. He never heard a word from them. Fast forward to yesterday that same position is posted in addition to another position within the company. Not saying my bf was the best candidate for the job but geez what happened? Maybe they hired the person with years of forklift experience who decided after a few weeks working for $10ph wasn't enough. If companies took the time to train new employees they'd actually obtain loyal long lasting employees.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:30 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,525,588 times
I see all these ads that advertise $10 jobs with years of experience. Some $12. Let's do the math. After taxes what does that come out to? $10 become like 8.50 which is a what $1 higher than minimum wage? What's it now $7.15? Now let's tax 7.15. This is insane. Entry level jobs that require experience? Then it's not an entry level job and should pay way more. There are large cities where you can work at Mickey D's or White Castle for $10 or 12. I bet some pay slightly more to flip burgers. I can see why some people decide not to go to college, take out thousands in loans, and then be forced to take a $10 an hour job. Defeats purpose of going to school. Just go flip burgers straight out of high school. This is the American Dream? Looks like Third World Dream to me.

"Maybe they hired the person with years of forklift experience who decided after a few weeks working for $10ph wasn't enough."

That's exactly what happened.

These employers aren't cherry picking. They are exploiting and picking up where the Big Banks left off. They are kicking a horse that's already down.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:32 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,866,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000dynasuper View Post
My issue w/ employers are that they are asking for the world; a degree, this many years of experience, travel at your own expense with your own vehicle, etc...(these are just a few examples that I have seen) but only want to pay minimum wage or slightly above. If they REALLY wanted fill that position for that pay, then they should be willing to accept someone who is willing to be trained in that position. They will be happier and the worker will be happier. A worker who is 'qualified' and accepts that position may fill it to keep an income coming in, but will leave for a better paying job at the first opportunity.
AWESOME POST! It is true that employers are asking for the "perfect" candidate. They want someone with 5 years of experience, a bachelors degree, perfect credit, perfect body, perfect looks, young, blonde, tall, and won't hire anyone that lives more than five minutes away and still want to pay minimum wage. Sometimes, it is that person who maybe needs a little training that is the best and most loyal employee.

Then we have employers who are super greedy and want to move to India so they can get away with paying workers 10 cents an hour, burn carcinogens, and expose their workers to all sorts of safety hazards.

Oh, and we could start a thread about the government's role in unemployment as they passed NAFTA which caused many to lose jobs.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:15 PM

269 posts, read 710,998 times
Quote:
I didn't say they were ALL at fault. It's just that with many threads here people are assuming that the unemployed are doing all the wrong things and that it can NEVER be the employer.

Many employers discriminate based on age. Some of them full out refuse to hire the unemployed. That is the gist of my thread. These kinds of things contribute to the high unemployment rate. Employers are not totally blameless in all of this.

But I do agree that the blame game is non productive.
Those would be the threads stated by trolls to instigate a fight. They are non-productive and getting real old, real fast.

In answer to your question, there are many factors contributing to the sorry state of affairs in our country today. Its best to focus on what lies ahead, and what can be done to alleviate the situation than to play the blame game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment