Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 07:41 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,019,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
Sometimes, it is that person who maybe needs a little training that is the best and most loyal employee.
And sometimes, it's the employee that needs "a little training" who is the biggest slacker of the bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 05:43 AM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,362,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
What role are employer's playing in the high unemployment rate? Surely they must be too picky and doing unrealistic and unfair things. Let's talk about their role in all of this, since many want to assume that the unemployed are always at fault.
Of course it's a conspiracy. Employers have maliciously hired more workers than they need. Since those workers have no real work to do, they send them out to dangle phony job opportunities in front of they unemployed. Then they yank the rug out, like Charlie Brown kicking the football, and post the videos on Youtube where they go viral.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:02 AM

140 posts, read 612,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
Of course it's a conspiracy. Employers have maliciously hired more workers than they need. Since those workers have no real work to do, they send them out to dangle phony job opportunities in front of they unemployed. Then they yank the rug out, like Charlie Brown kicking the football, and post the videos on Youtube where they go viral.
I completely understand how hard it must be, especially for a man, to lose it because he can't work and provide as he's used to.

But this sounds more like a bad sci fi movie than what reality is, to me at least. I'm hoping that you really don't think it's a conspiracy, because that would make you a victim and you are not a victim! You're a survivor and you are going to make it!

I prefer to post videos of my cat fetching and my daughter rock climbing. They'll never make viral but they mean more to me than sacrificing my happiness for even one day on a negative thought. Blessings to you guys.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:12 AM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,362,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelebelle View Post
I completely understand how hard it must be, especially for a man, to lose it because he can't work and provide as he's used to.

But this sounds more like a bad sci fi movie than what reality is, to me at least. I'm hoping that you really don't think it's a conspiracy, because that would make you a victim and you are not a victim! You're a survivor and you are going to make it!

I prefer to post videos of my cat fetching and my daughter rock climbing. They'll never make viral but they mean more to me than sacrificing my happiness for even one day on a negative thought. Blessings to you guys.
Hmm... not exactly the reaction I was going for, but thanks...

Old 09-12-2010, 01:21 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,634,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
I don't think employers are choosing the best of the best. They are basing hiring decisions on asinine things. I have heard of numerous employers taking almost a month to fill a position. When they finally fill it ..poof within a month the position is available again. It makes me wonder who did they actually hire? What did they base their hiring decision on? Better yet show me the 2nd and 3rd place candidates. I know that's never going to happen but still it makes you wonder what are some hiring managers thinking. For instance my boyfriend has a technical certificate in graphic design and anime unfortunately after 4 interviews (he graduated at the the height of this recession) he got discouraged and gave up because for entry level positions they wanted someone with 3 yrs of experience. Anyway fast forward to present day he's been doing retail receiving work and now works for UPS. A little over a month ago he interviewed for a full-time warehouse position for a company who wanted someone with forklift experience but was supposedly willing to train. He went in for an interview and they said they would get back to him. He never heard a word from them. Fast forward to yesterday that same position is posted in addition to another position within the company. Not saying my bf was the best candidate for the job but geez what happened? Maybe they hired the person with years of forklift experience who decided after a few weeks working for $10ph wasn't enough. If companies took the time to train new employees they'd actually obtain loyal long lasting employees.

I definitely agree here.

Old 09-12-2010, 04:48 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,311 times
A little story about employers being to damn picky. I applied for a job as a receptionist a while ago. The job asked for 6 months of experience using a multi-line phone. I have years of experience using a multi-line phone in a classroom and a retail setting. I used a multi-line phone to contact and receive calls from parents and when I worked in retail, customers. Well anyway, because my multi-line phone experience was not in a clerical environment, I didn't get the job.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:20 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,238,148 times
The politicians in bed with corporations have caused it. 20,000,000 jobs have left the US and went to slave labor countries in the past 30 years. Free trade agreements like NAFTA and CAFTA caused this. It's all about finding the cheapest source of labor. Why do you think so much money is being pumped into Africa to stabilize societies there? It sure isn't b/c they care about those poor black people, it's because they're the next large pool of slave labor. The Chinese are even beginning to think they're workers are demanding too much by wanting to be paid $1 an hour.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:44 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,546,726 times
There was a recent study done that I cannot seem to find, now, that reports that Corporate downsizing exceeded the reductions logical for the economic downturn. I attached a link to it in a post some time ago, but don't have the time now to go look for it.

The best thing we can do in this country is create our own jobs. Avoid the monster employers, support your local economy.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:03 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,619,508 times
I agree I believe the employers are being way too picky-example: I applied for a position last year and interviewed 5 times, yes 5 times...the first two interviews the company said they weren't hiring-6 months later the hiring manager conatacted me and asked if I wanted to interview again-I interviewed twice more....the position was filled by someone who had more experience ( I have 7 years). Again, they interviewed me again I believe 2 months later because of another opening-again they told me "sorry we found someone with a better skill set."

Old 09-14-2010, 11:30 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,726,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
I don't think employers are choosing the best of the best. They are basing hiring decisions on asinine things. I have heard of numerous employers taking almost a month to fill a position. When they finally fill it ..poof within a month the position is available again. It makes me wonder who did they actually hire? What did they base their hiring decision on? Better yet show me the 2nd and 3rd place candidates. I know that's never going to happen but still it makes you wonder what are some hiring managers thinking. For instance my boyfriend has a technical certificate in graphic design and anime unfortunately after 4 interviews (he graduated at the the height of this recession) he got discouraged and gave up because for entry level positions they wanted someone with 3 yrs of experience. Anyway fast forward to present day he's been doing retail receiving work and now works for UPS. A little over a month ago he interviewed for a full-time warehouse position for a company who wanted someone with forklift experience but was supposedly willing to train. He went in for an interview and they said they would get back to him. He never heard a word from them. Fast forward to yesterday that same position is posted in addition to another position within the company. Not saying my bf was the best candidate for the job but geez what happened? Maybe they hired the person with years of forklift experience who decided after a few weeks working for $10ph wasn't enough. If companies took the time to train new employees they'd actually obtain loyal long lasting employees.
What might of actually happened is that the person who was hired used their foot in the door to apply for a BETTER position at the company and got it after they were hired to drive a forklift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment