Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 12:52 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,066,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The CEOs of the big corporation are doing very well with their recovery. Further globalization and sky-high immigration provide them with all the cheap labor they can want and their profits are better than ever.

Yes there is a recovery - Wall Street is doing amazingly well. And no one should really believe the politicans care about anyone but them.
It's funny, isn't it. It seems like the Dow Jones Industrial Average keeps going up in spite of the fact that the nation still has huge employment and other economic problems. It's almost as though the well being of the American middle class no longer bears any relationship to the profitability of businesses. In fact, the relationship might even be inversely proportional now--a worse job market means cheaper labor and higher profits as what's left of the American middle class slowly transfers its wealth to the rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 01:41 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
It's almost as though the well being of the American middle class no longer bears any relationship to the profitability of businesses. In fact, the relationship might even be inversely proportional now--a worse job market means cheaper labor and higher profits as what's left of the American middle class slowly transfers its wealth to the rich.
Exactly. That's what the IBM CEO said. Expansion of their market globally to grow their customer base. There is no loyalty WHATSOEVER to America or its worker. None.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:42 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,760,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Exactly. That's what the IBM CEO said. Expansion of their market globally to grow their customer base. There is no loyalty WHATSOEVER to America or its worker. None.
Beautifully Spoken !

Pretty soon you are going to have the American worker sitting on his porch at night trying to figure out which country to MOVE to so he may be treated better, if such a place exists....

Old 11-02-2010, 03:45 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,760,894 times
Quote:
This is exactly what I see happening. Eventually our wages and standard of living will degenerate to third world levels, which is what the economic forces of supply and demand dictate as the supply of labor approaches infinity. By merging our nation's job market and economy with those of the third world, the American standard of living must decrease to third world levels.

Americans might have jobs, but they'll receive a third world rate of compensation while they produce goods and services for the consumption of the wealthy class.

I think we'll end up resembling some South American countries. Perhaps some Americans will be able to find work in the field of kidnapping-and-ransom, kidnapping members of wealthy families and threatening to hold them for ransom. Others might find work as body guards and as mechanics who convert standard vehicles into "kidnap proof" cars. See:

Manda Bala (Send a Bullet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ransom City ~ Introduction | Wide Angle

PBS Wide Angle: 'Ransom City' - washingtonpost.com
So very , very true Bhaalspawn !

Old 11-02-2010, 03:47 PM

71 posts, read 80,693 times
In order to understand what is happening today I urge all of you to watch a dvd (available at the original movie-mailing service) called "The Corporation".

What you will learn among many other things is that corporations have a mandate to serve their stockholders by making profits, by any means necessary (within the law of course). And actually, sometimes the laws are broken as a matter of routine, as it is more profitable to break the law and pay the fines (as in the case of environmental laws).

So once you understand that
a) Corporations are loyal only to themselves and their mandate for profits above all else; and
b) Corporations buy Congress and the Presidency,
then you can easily see why America is no longer America. That is, it is no longer about the citizenry of the USA, but rather about the profits of the corporations, many of which are not even centered here in the USA. You might call our country more legitimately, "the Corporate Controlled States of America" or something like that.

Before any of you scoff at this and think this is some sort of communist or left wing propaganda, do some research and check the facts. First, (since I don't know if such a link would be allowed here), google the Business Insider article "22 Statistics That Prove The Middle Class Is Being Systematically Wiped Out Of Existence In America". Then look for articles that show how the chasm between rich and poor increased under Bush. The bottom line is that the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer in our country. As someone said, above, this is turning us into a 3rd world country. And sure, the stock market loves this news!

We are now a government "of Wall St., by Wall St. and for Wall St.". The powers that be want to spend money on our country, NOT to create jobs (h*ll no! they don't need employees, they have plenty of those in China, Mexico, the Philippines, etc.) but to make things better for BUSINESS, profits, the rich.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdsnickels View Post
And sure, the stock market loves this news!
I've been sitting on cash all year (foolishly), waiting for a crash. Last few days I've FINALLY realized, not happening because there is a whole world out there and the US unemployment problem is not that significant in the overall scheme of global growth. A few months back, CNBC was bemoaning the unemployment numbers. One of the guests said - oh, that's not a concern, 85-90% of the people are working. Boy am I dense - or, more appropriately - naive. Waking up, though. Fast.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:57 PM

141 posts, read 362,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I've been sitting on cash all year (foolishly), waiting for a crash. Last few days I've FINALLY realized, not happening because there is a whole world out there and the US unemployment problem is not that significant in the overall scheme of global growth. A few months back, CNBC was bemoaning the unemployment numbers. One of the guests said - oh, that's not a concern, 85-90% of the people are working. Boy am I dense - or, more appropriately - naive. Waking up, though. Fast.
85-90% of the people are working? What people? The ones between, let's say, 25 and 65? In other words, the ones who are employable, having completed their education and not being retired?
I don't think so. The reality is far from this percentage. I'd say it's at best 70% if not less.
Let's also not forget the huge influx of military jobs due to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Without them, the ranks of the unemployed in this demographic category would be even higher, especially for the 25-35yo.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:48 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,524,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdsnickels View Post
In order to understand what is happening today I urge all of you to watch a dvd (available at the original movie-mailing service) called "The Corporation".

What you will learn among many other things is that corporations have a mandate to serve their stockholders by making profits, by any means necessary (within the law of course). And actually, sometimes the laws are broken as a matter of routine, as it is more profitable to break the law and pay the fines (as in the case of environmental laws).

So once you understand that
a) Corporations are loyal only to themselves and their mandate for profits above all else; and
b) Corporations buy Congress and the Presidency,
then you can easily see why America is no longer America. That is, it is no longer about the citizenry of the USA, but rather about the profits of the corporations, many of which are not even centered here in the USA. You might call our country more legitimately, "the Corporate Controlled States of America" or something like that.

Before any of you scoff at this and think this is some sort of communist or left wing propaganda, do some research and check the facts. First, (since I don't know if such a link would be allowed here), google the Business Insider article "22 Statistics That Prove The Middle Class Is Being Systematically Wiped Out Of Existence In America". Then look for articles that show how the chasm between rich and poor increased under Bush. The bottom line is that the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer in our country. As someone said, above, this is turning us into a 3rd world country. And sure, the stock market loves this news!

We are now a government "of Wall St., by Wall St. and for Wall St.". The powers that be want to spend money on our country, NOT to create jobs (h*ll no! they don't need employees, they have plenty of those in China, Mexico, the Philippines, etc.) but to make things better for BUSINESS, profits, the rich.

well some good points in your post.

Listen here is the one thing no one said yet, YOU CAN INVEST IN that CORP!! You can do what some have done and start right after college investing in some corps., hold the stock and wait for the long haul!! I mean dont panic and hold and then wait. In 30 years I am sure you will be on the plus side! Now I know it takes money to invest so thats the hard part. But we can INVEST IN THAT GREEDY CORP! You have a choice.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:16 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,679,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The CEOs of the big corporation are doing very well with their recovery. Further globalization and sky-high immigration provide them with all the cheap labor they can want and their profits are better than ever.

Yes there is a recovery - Wall Street is doing amazingly well. And no one should really believe the politicans care about anyone but them.
I think it is more interesting to note that there is even less concern regarding bearing true witness to our own laws. Unemployment compensation that conforms to our own state laws and that existing federal doctrine could ameliorate the issue you present.

Would we really have any basis to care about CEO compensation if official poverty is solved via market friendly means?

Our only civic obligation is ameliorating official poverty.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:20 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,679,017 times
Quote:
This is exactly what I see happening. Eventually our wages and standard of living will degenerate to third world levels, which is what the economic forces of supply and demand dictate as the supply of labor approaches infinity. By merging our nation's job market and economy with those of the third world, the American standard of living must decrease to third world levels.
Solving official poverty via market friendly means could solve the dilemma you present and render this issue a moot point. It could be accomplished with unemployment compensation that conforms to the federal at-will employment doctrine and state at-will employment laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment