Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2010, 07:01 PM

77 posts, read 490,531 times

Advertisements

Hi

I received an 8 day notice for a hearing (which seems kind of short to me) to reopen my case. I missed my first hearing because I was away at a job fair/Conference and also I needed time to get a lawyer.

Im basically trying to get two months back pay because I filed late because I wanted to wait to get all the documents from the Dept of Labor about my work environment violations. I didnt want to go through the entire appeal process and I felt I may be denied benefits since I quit my job. I waited for these documents which took about two months, and of course, I was pretty quickly approved for UI.

Now Im trying to get my 2 months back pay. I was wondering if I get a lawyer, would I have to go myself to the hearing? May I send someone else in place of me, ie a lawyer to state this, because I have another conflict at that time, and I feel like the one week notices by the DOL in NY are kind of ridiculous to try and secure an attorney and everything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 05:11 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,086,837 times
Uh, that's kinda why you hire an attorney in advance instead of waiting until the last minute. One week notice is ample time.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:25 PM

577 posts, read 1,759,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Uh, that's kinda why you hire an attorney in advance instead of waiting until the last minute. One week notice is ample time.
Not if you are in Haiti volunteering or at another conference

Sheesh people complain about waiting to get this kind of stuff resolved and this poster keeps having vacation, oh I mean networking and volunteering "conflicts" affecting her ability to be available.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:14 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,771,276 times
incredible... you can't be bothered to attend a hearing (again) even with a week's notice, yet you think you actually qualify?

Old 06-16-2010, 09:23 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,847,706 times
Going by the "info" in your other threads, you should be grateful they even allowed you to claim, let alone be going for "backdated benefits".

That's some sense of entitlement you have there.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:47 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,771,276 times
You can't get backdated benefits anyway, because you didn't file. Benefits start when you file. If you need more documentation after you file, they will let you know, and if you are approved, they will make payments going back to the date you filed.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,038 times
Hi NYUI or others in the forum who had experiences with backdated UI appeal and won..

did you end up getting the 2 months backdated UI? Also did you go through a telephone or in person hearing?
Could you walk me through your hearing please? I just got an unsatisfied determination and am looking to appeal for a hearing in the next few days.

Appreciate all your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment