Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2014, 11:21 AM

5 posts, read 3,912 times

Advertisements

Hey all!

This is the first time I've ever had to collect unemployment. I was fearful that my claim would not go through and everything went through like a charm. I had been working for a large media corporation remotely for 7 years, and they decided to re-brand and retire the three websites I was managing and writing. So, I not only lost my job but all of my writing samples. Since I was working for the company who made those sites from a start-up 4 years prior to that acquisition, it was writing and an entire database of information that went back 10 years. I've been terribly sad that everything I have worked on seems to have been erased, but that is the corporate media world.

On to other things: I was scared about my claim, as I said, but it all went well. I receive plenty in UI (450 is max in CA, and I receive about 400 weekly). I have decided that I want to start my own consulting/coaching business, but feel I should have a part time job for steady employment. I do not want to work in a corporate situation again. I am fortunate that my husband does fairly well and we live frugally so I don't require more than a part time job at this time.

I've been offered one. It is very close to my home with barely any commute. 15 hours a week, which is just about ideal. However, I am worried that I am jumping the gun. My claim is good through March. Although I got along well with the woman who may be my potential employer, I was a bit taken aback by the extensive background check she hired an outside firm to do on me. Credit report pulling, called all of my previous employers going back to 1996 (I was informed by them that they were called), educational check, criminal background, and today I am supposed to go have a drug screen. I really hit it off with the potential employer, but she is new and just starting out in her firm. My job description is administrative assistant. Outside of some contract workers, I would be her first employee.

The good things are I have been in beginning businesses before and have been very successful at helping to jump-start someone's business. I'm great in this role and I know it. Like I said...NO COMMUTE. Close to home, I can practically walk there. Salary is right there where most other administrative positions are in this area, and the hours are great at 15, TWTh schedule. A part time gig with these hours and pay is really what I am looking for at this point. Also, looking for a job takes my anxiety disorder and pumps it up to an 11. If I am done hunting, that's a good thing. My husband also thinks that, since I have been telecommuting for a decade that a job outside the home would bring a welcome change, and I tend to agree with that.

Bad things are: The extensive background check (which has been going on for weeks) makes me think that this person will be extremely finicky and if I am her one and only employee, that makes me nervous. I am afraid once I'm employed, she might want me to work more hours eventually (I made it clear I am looking for permanent part-time so I have time to explore my own business and freelancing) and that's not my goal. As with any job, I have no idea what I am getting into, so if it is unpleasant or she turns out to be hard to deal with, quitting will definitely effect my future UI claims if I decide to separate from her and it's not her idea and I quit. I understand I need to report income that I do make for my UI and they will pay a portion of the difference, but if I do stop reporting that income, they are going to want to know why...so that ties my hands a bit about getting out of the situation.

I feel bad because this probably doesn't sound like much of a problem to most people that have issues on this board. But it is to me. I have anxiety over every single thing throughout this whole mess, and frankly, since losing my job on 9/30, I have been a real mess. I got really sick with pneumonia and sinusitis because I couldn't just rest...I had to apply and apply for jobs like a madwoman. I've only gotten 1 UI check so far, but I have already been to more than 10 job interviews. I had to set up a portfolio and save all my writing clips or they would all disappear and worked into the nights saving everything. It's 10/29 and I am finally out of the care of doctors. I don't know if I am making the best decisions for myself about employment at the moment. I have never been without a job since I was 13. The drive to go out and get something steady has been overwhelming, but I am hesitant because I am really not all that sure that I shouldn't just sit here at home and freelance or work on building my business, or that I shouldn't wait until my claim is nearly over. It isn't easy to find a job. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot for any future claims I might need...but I don't want to turn down a job, either, really...

Anyone got any advice? I apologize in advance if I sound like a blathering ninny. I know this is probably very ridiculous...I am just SO unsure of what direction I should be going in....and if this ISN'T the best choice, then I definitely don't want to go to pee in a cup, and spare the woman the cost of a drug test...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 12:21 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillPunky View Post
in CA, and I receive about 400 weekly). My claim is good through March.

I don't require more than a part time job at this time.

I've been offered one. It is very close to my home with barely any commute. 15 hours a week, which is just about ideal.

I was a bit taken aback by the extensive background check she hired an outside firm to do on me. Credit report pulling, called all of my previous employers going back to 1996 (I was informed by them that they were called), educational check, criminal background, and today I am supposed to go have a drug screen.

I really hit it off with the potential employer, but she is new and just starting out in her firm. My job description is administrative assistant. Outside of some contract workers, I would be her first employee.

The good things are I have been in beginning businesses before and have been very successful at helping to jump-start someone's business. I'm great in this role and I know it. Like I said...NO COMMUTE. Close to home, I can practically walk there.

Salary is right there where most other administrative positions are in this area, and

the hours are great at 15, TWTh schedule. A part time gig with these hours and pay is really what I am looking for at this point.

Bad things are: The extensive background check (which has been going on for weeks) makes me think that this person will be extremely finicky and if I am her one and only employee, that makes me nervous. I am afraid once I'm employed, she might want me to work more hours eventually

(I made it clear I am looking for permanent part-time so I have time to explore my own business and freelancing) and that's not my goal.

As with any job, I have no idea what I am getting into, so if it is unpleasant or she turns out to be hard to deal with, quitting will definitely effect my future UI claims if I decide to separate from her and it's not her idea and I quit. I understand I need to report income that I do make for my UI and they will pay a portion of the difference, but if I do stop reporting that income, they are going to want to know why...so that ties my hands a bit about getting out of the situation.

because I couldn't just rest...I had to apply and apply for jobs like a madwoman.

I've only gotten 1 UI check so far, but I have already been to more than 10 job interviews. I had to set up a portfolio and save all my writing clips or they would all disappear and worked into the nights saving everything. It's 10/29 and I am finally out of the care of doctors.

I don't know if I am making the best decisions for myself about employment at the moment. I have never been without a job since I was 13. The drive to go out and get something steady has been overwhelming, but I am hesitant because I am really not all that sure that I shouldn't just sit here at home and freelance or work on building my business, or that I shouldn't wait until my claim is nearly over.

It isn't easy to find a job. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot for any future claims I might need...but I don't want to turn down a job, either, really...

Anyone got any advice? I apologize in advance if I sound like a blathering ninny. I know this is probably very ridiculous...I am just SO unsure of what direction I should be going in....and if this ISN'T the best choice, then I definitely don't want to go to pee in a cup, and spare the woman the cost of a drug test...
Well, know that if, for some reason, this job doesn't work out and you decide to quit, you will need good cause, or CA will discontinue your benefits. See:

Voluntary Quit - Table of Contents

If this woman is as persnickety as you say she is, chances are she will accuse you of some form of misconduct when you leave - because, down the road, she may be responsible for some of your future benefits. Employers lie all the time.

Second, imo based on many decades of employment, a one-woman start-up shop will NOT be 15 hours a week. I have never worked for a small employer, would never work for a one-person start-up like this - especially if my very generous $400/wk UI benefit could be lost. I have a friend whose daughter only works for people like this, and these places are always a zoo, and the employers are always neurotic and irrational. This daughter, however, is a bit of a fruitcake herself and could never fit into a large organization. For myself, I much prefer the stability and organization of a large, well-established business. Your hours are more stable, you have backup, etc.

If you feel compelled to work a bit, look for something in a larger place in a more stable environment - where you know your 15 hours a week will be 15 hours. If you don't, you'll be taking this part-time job home with you, along with the abuse - and I'm pretty sure there will be abuse.

Know that for any part-time work, CA will deduct 75% of your gross earnings from your benefit. That means, if you work 15 hrs x $18/hr., you will be earning $270 x 75% = $202.50 offset to the $400. California will pay you $188.

At this point, unless you have actually been offered this job - i.e., start date, rate of pay, duties - tell this employer you've decided to go in a different direction. In which case, you don't need to report a job refusal when claiming benefits. If you get to the point where you actually receive a firm offer, you won't have that option and will need to justify the refusal for good cause - at this point, because it's early days - you can tell CA the job is not suitable because it is part-time - even though you knew that going in. Once you accept part-time, however, refusal of another part-time job as unsuitable as to part-time won't fly.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 10-29-2014 at 12:32 PM..

Old 10-29-2014, 12:27 PM

They did offer me the job, with rate of pay, etc. They have not gone over duties with me. I am supposed to go take a drug test today, but I do not want to go take it if it's needless. Do they report that I refused the work to Unemployment?

What do I say to the person who offered, then? I've reconsidered my position and am not going be taking the job? I don't want to say too much, or the wrong thing that might come back to haunt me.

For the record, I didn't have a hinky feeling until this process became really drawn out with all of the checking and questions. Like I said, she contracted to an outside, one-stop-HR-shop to do all of this, and it seemed particularly invasive. More so than I would normally expect.

Last edited by StillPunky; 10-29-2014 at 12:36 PM..

Old 10-29-2014, 12:40 PM

This employer may or may not report the job refusal. Because it is a small employer, there is a better than 70% chance it won't be reported. If, on the odd chance, it is reported, CA will ask you about it. At that point, you tell CA you refused the job as unsuitable because it is part-time. That's good enough at this point.

Or, you can report the refusal now, CA will suspend benefits and call you on why. Again, it is unsuitable because it is part-time. If you want to get this off your mind, report the refusal, and get this behind you now.

Tell the employer exactly what you've posted "you've reconsidered and will not be taking the job." You don't owe them any more of an explanation than that. If they push, tell them you are exploring another opportunity. End of story.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:08 PM

That's great. Thank you so much for your help. This is what I am going to do. I don't want to get locked into a bad situation. Unemployment has such a stigma and I feel like I can hear my dad in the back of my head saying "SLACKER! SLACKER!" because he's sure anyone that ends up without a job is a bum and, apparently, this event is proving to me that I have daddy issues or something. Ugh. It's a hard force to combat, and it almost makes one feel desperate to take anything. As someone who has really worked since being a young teen (I started as a nanny au pair at a resort), I literally have not been one single day without a job since then. It's daunting to say the least and I am empathetic for anyone that is or has been in similar situations.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:33 PM

Yes, many people who've worked all their lives are very much at sea when they've lost a job and feel COMPELLED to find another job RIGHT AWAY - and often make mistakes on their choices. You have some options, so step back, take a deep breath, and think about those options - calmly.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment