Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2010, 03:14 PM

3 posts, read 5,276 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm completely confused by UE etc so I was wondering if anyone could help me to make sure I understand something about my situation.

Just from looking at others posts, I want to mention I was on UE for a month or so a few years back, not sure if that effects what I'm asking now. Also I worked 3 years straight at one company til Feb 2010, in which we switched companies, and they in turn laid us off in May...

I was laid off May 30, opened a claim May 31. I've been receiving benefits up until Dec 13, which I certified and only was paid 1 week, because that's what was left of my benefits. The extension was passed on Dec 17, so I called my IL UE office to make sure that I would be getting paid the weeks that were missed. The woman told me that she put in a new claim starting Dec 5th, in which I have to call to certify Dec 23 for the weeks of the 11th, and 18th. She wasn't sure if I would get paid for just 1 or 2 weeks on the 27th because they generally hold back a week on new claims.

1. Is it a new claim because my benefits ran out before the EUC was passed?

Then she told me that I would call the following week on Jan 3 and certify like I normally would etc.

I asked about my benefit year ending and she told me that I should call back in May '11 because I might qualify for another 26 wks. So after reading posts on the forum, I would have to take out a 2nd claim? Wouldn't I already be on a 2nd claim since she had told me she was making a new one? I'm totally confused...I have no idea what I'm eligible for at this point and feel like I'm in the dark about the whole process.

Last edited by cola1016; 12-21-2010 at 03:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 06:16 PM

23 posts, read 61,240 times
I'm in the same boat as you I think, cola. My account runs out with next week's payment even though I have a claim date expiry of June 2011. I am a 26-weeker beginning last June 21st. I thought I wasn't eligible for any extended benefits like the 99 weekers, but maybe this changes things. I will try to place to my NY office tomorrow for a live person.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:48 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,497,864 times
OMG - This is so wrong, I don't where to begin. My comments in red:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cola1016 View Post
Just from looking at others posts, I want to mention I was on UE for a month or so a few years back, not sure if that effects what I'm asking now. Also I worked 3 years straight at one company til Feb 2010, in which we switched companies, and they in turn laid us off in May...

Your earlier claim has no effect on your present claim. It is too old.

I was laid off May 30, opened a claim May 31. I've been receiving benefits up until Dec 13, which I certified and only was paid 1 week, because that's what was left of my benefits. The extension was passed on Dec 17, so I called my IL UE office to make sure that I would be getting paid the weeks that were missed. The woman told me that she put in a new claim starting Dec 5th, in which I have to call to certify Dec 23 for the weeks of the 11th, and 18th. She wasn't sure if I would get paid for just 1 or 2 weeks on the 27th because they generally hold back a week on new claims.

1. Is it a new claim because my benefits ran out before the EUC was passed?

Then she told me that I would call the following week on Jan 3 and certify like I normally would etc.

Did you work and have new wages between May and now? If not, there should not have been a new claim opened.

I asked about my benefit year ending and she told me that I should call back in May '11 because I might qualify for another 26 wks.

This is true, if you have additional new earnings during your first benefit year which ends in May - but why refer to that? She just opened a new benefit year/claim for you which will end in December 2011? This is contradictory.

So after reading posts on the forum, I would have to take out a 2nd claim? Wouldn't I already be on a 2nd claim since she had told me she was making a new one?

Yes. It makes no sense.

I'm totally confused...I have no idea what I'm eligible for at this point and feel like I'm in the dark about the whole process.
In short, NO, there should not be a new claim unless you had NEW earnings since May that somehow created an eligibility for a new claim.

FYI - Illinois is EXTREMELY problematic. They have reps who are more confused than the claimants. We have had at least five stories in the past month from IL people - usually similar to yours, an attempt to open a new claim instead of a normal tier transition, or a denial of benefits completely when their old claim should have been reopened at the end of their benefit year.

Please read this thread, beginning with posts 18 to the end of the thread, several experiences. Good suggestions there.

HR4213 does more than just extend benefits...right?

There are other reports as well, but the link listed above should be helpful.

You need to call IL again, and keep calling until you get someone that knows what they are doing. It is bizarre how the same mistakes are reported here on IL over and over and over. Must be the same rep causing these problems. They can't all be that bad.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:26 PM

3 posts, read 5,276 times
No I had no new earnings. So thank you for answering my question I really really appreciate it.

What's funny is that I was told to certify today (Thursday) and I went online to do so. It tells me "You cannot certify please call your local office." So I go to my benefit payment history, BOOM! They paid me for my missing week, it was issued yesterday (Wednesday) which is when I normally get paid. So what exactly did she even do for me? lol So I'm going to try to certify on Monday and see if it works. It seems like my schedule is on the same way it was before I talked to the lady at the office. I hope whatever she "did" was just undone by the computer system or something and I really didn't have to do anything to get my missing payment know what I mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment