Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 01:18 AM

3 posts, read 19,511 times

Advertisements

I was hired at a public library, that according the NJ Civil Service Commission is an "appointing authority" (see
Civil Service Commission | Civil Service Jurisdictions) which means it's civil service. This job was my first experience with civil service.

Recently, my manager told me that she had "sad news for me." My "services were being terminated due to administrative reasons." But the rest of the conversation revolved around my tardiness and absences. I take full responsibility for these issues. I got a letter of reprimand in January. I thought I worked hard to turn the situation around since that letter. I even worked when I was sick. But my manager said it wasn't enough.

My probation period was scheduled to end on April 30. But I heard nothing from my manager. Instead, the worker in charge of the payroll handed me an official-looking paper giving me more sick days,etc. Later she quietly gave me a copy of an email that said that I wasn't permanent because the mayor hadn't approved my permanent hiring. In the meantime, I had taken two sicks days due to fatigue and gastritis because I thought I had more sick days.

I was "fired" several day after I was 2 hours late because my alarm clock didn't go off. She said something that made me think that I would be let go but a long-term employee told me that she couldn't because my manager needed me to implement a special program that I didn't have help with. I was so focussed on getting the program ready by the due date that I missed other signs also.

Also, I was let go 2 months after my probation period was supposed to end.

(I know I can't show anger to future potential employers but, darn it, I didn't even have a computer on my desk. She even asked me after terminating me if I was going to stay until closing time. )

I applied for unemployment and said I had been fired. I have a phone interview with a claims agent to see if I should be awarded unemployment. I am a very good researcher and found the term "administrative termination" online. The definition is termination without cause. Such as: a layoff or a reduction in workforce due to company issues.

I'm confused. My ex-manager's exact words were termination for "administrative reasons."

1. So is this a "layoff" and they are being generous? Or was I fired for misconduct (for cause)? As a local or non-state employee I can't appeal this termination. (I don't want the job back--it was a bad fit but I had to get back in the job market after being laid off from another job due to budgetary reasons.)

2. NJ civil services rules say that an extension in the probation period must be explained to the employee.

Does anyone know what "administrative reasons" mean? Is this the same as an "administrative termination?"

Thank you. This is my first post. Please forgive my rambling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 01:26 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Sounds to me what might have happened is they had to get rid of someone for budgetary or other genuine administrative reasons; so while you may not have been terminated directly on account of your conduct, said conduct made it an easy decision to pick you as the sacrificial lamb when the budgetary axe fell (how's that for overuse of metaphors?)

The rest of your questions are specific to New Jersey law and you may be better off asking in the New Jersey forum.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:07 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,061,750 times
Just stick to the reason given on the paper.

You don't want to be spilling your guts about your attendance and tardiness issues. You have no idea what the employer is going to say, so don't box yourself into some indefensible position. For all you know, the employer isn't going to do or say anything to get you disqualified, but you might just self disqualify yourself if you talk too much.

Happened to my friend. He was fired, and babbled on about how it could have been about his attendance, blah, blah against my stern words of warning. His termination paperwork gave no reason other than to say, "your services will no longer be required." I'd told him if he just had to be super honest to just send in a copy of that letter and let the state figure it out. The employer didn't even respond to the UI office. He was disqualified by his own words.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:12 AM

Default Thanks for the input

Well, I probably disqualified myself because I told the claims agent on the phone that I was fired and that "they said it was for tardiness." I didn't know what "for administrative reasons" meant and I didn't know that that NJ law had changed last year to three levels of misconduct concerning disqualification. I thought I had to be fired for a terrible reason to be disqualified.

Also I have no paperwork concerning my termination. I wasn't given anything and there was no witness to the termination meeting.

I'll see what happens with the examiner interview. I'm not sure if being in civil service will make a difference since my manager didn't follow state or town rules concerning termination of civil service employees according to the research I have done.

At least for people with future questions, this message will be a warning about how to act.

I welcome any other comments on this situation.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:48 AM

8 posts, read 20,126 times
if you have paper work saying adminastrative reasons fax the 2 they office and just ride that out thats your best bet good luck either even if for misconduct you will get UE but will get the 6 week penalty good luck with your struggle

Old 07-16-2012, 07:04 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
While I am annoyed at the OP attempting to "play dumb" and get us to help lie to UI....

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncivilCivilServant View Post
I was hired at a public library, that according the NJ Civil Service Commission is an "appointing authority" (see
Civil Service Commission | Civil Service Jurisdictions) which means it's civil service. This job was my first experience with civil service.

Recently, my manager told me that she had "sad news for me." My "services were being terminated due to administrative reasons." But the rest of the conversation revolved around my tardiness and absences. I take full responsibility for these issues. I got a letter of reprimand in January. I thought I worked hard to turn the situation around since that letter. I even worked when I was sick. But my manager said it wasn't enough.

My probation period was scheduled to end on April 30. But I heard nothing from my manager. Instead, the worker in charge of the payroll handed me an official-looking paper giving me more sick days,etc. Later she quietly gave me a copy of an email that said that I wasn't permanent because the mayor hadn't approved my permanent hiring. In the meantime, I had taken two sicks days due to fatigue and gastritis because I thought I had more sick days.

I was "fired" several day after I was 2 hours late because my alarm clock didn't go off. She said something that made me think that I would be let go but a long-term employee told me that she couldn't because my manager needed me to implement a special program that I didn't have help with. I was so focussed on getting the program ready by the due date that I missed other signs also.

Also, I was let go 2 months after my probation period was supposed to end.

(I know I can't show anger to future potential employers but, darn it, I didn't even have a computer on my desk. She even asked me after terminating me if I was going to stay until closing time. )

I applied for unemployment and said I had been fired. I have a phone interview with a claims agent to see if I should be awarded unemployment. I am a very good researcher and found the term "administrative termination" online. The definition is termination without cause. Such as: a layoff or a reduction in workforce due to company issues.

I'm confused. My ex-manager's exact words were termination for "administrative reasons."

1. So is this a "layoff" and they are being generous? Or was I fired for misconduct (for cause)? As a local or non-state employee I can't appeal this termination. (I don't want the job back--it was a bad fit but I had to get back in the job market after being laid off from another job due to budgetary reasons.)

You were terminated for tardiness. The person was nice to you by saying "administrative reasons" as the real reason was that you were terminated for tardiness. What's more, you know that. You were not laid off, nor were you fired due to company issues. And as I said, you know this already. Not very appreciative of people who come to this forum hoping for people who will help them figure out how to lie/spin facts that they already know.

2. NJ civil services rules say that an extension in the probation period must be explained to the employee.

What does a probation period have to do with anything? You were fired for tardiness. This is a reason to fire you whether you are in the probationary period or not.

Does anyone know what "administrative reasons" mean? Is this the same as an "administrative termination?"

You know what it means.

Thank you. This is my first post. Please forgive my rambling.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:11 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Just say you did not meet probation requirements. Terminated for administrative reasons. Say nothing about sick or late. Less said...best bet. Then...if the adjudicating official asks you about it...say, "oh, yes I was ill...and late...and warned....I took care of it,". Good luck.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:12 AM

I came to this forum to get an answer to a question that I honestly didn't know the answer to. My friends and family would say that I am an honest person, to a fault and often to my own detriment. I didn't come with an ulterior motive.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:09 AM

30 posts, read 149,177 times
I don't think they followed the required process to fire you for cause; therefore, I think you were laid off and should be awarded unemployment. I doubt that your former boss wants to contest the unemployment and show that they were not following processes, so I encourage you to try to get the unemployment that you deserve.

No employee is perfect. Every employee gets some negative feedback or suggestions forimprovemnt----that doesn't mean your shortcomings are just cause for being fired.

During the interview, I would just truthfullly tell the relevant facts. You were told that you were fired for administrative reasons. I think this action was likely for budget reasons. Did they refill your position? If the position was eliminated or the department was reorganized, then it was not really about your being tardy. If the tardiness issue comes up, you can say you felt bad because your alarm didn't go off, but that was not the actual reason you lost your job. (I think that's the truth.)

You were sincerely trying to improve on issues and you deserved a fair chance.

It's very distressing to be fired and I really think you are blaming yourself too much and you just don't want to respond emotionally in the interview.

Good Luck and please don't be too hard on yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment