Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 08:01 AM

91 posts, read 177,119 times

Advertisements

I was unemployed from Jan 2009 until September 2010. I live in PA, but collected from NJ. I think I had about 13 weeks left on EB when I got my job in September. Yesterday, I got laid off after a little more than 3 months. I filed last night online at PA Unemployment. Does anyone have any idea what happens to my benefits now? Do I back to where I left off on EB?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 11:46 AM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwharff View Post
I was unemployed from Jan 2009 until September 2010. I live in PA, but collected from NJ. I think I had about 13 weeks left on EB when I got my job in September. Yesterday, I got laid off after a little more than 3 months. I filed last night online at PA Unemployment. Does anyone have any idea what happens to my benefits now? Do I back to where I left off on EB?
No. The EB benefits are paid by NJ on your NJ claim.

Since you filed in PA, PA now needs to determine if you are qualified for a new claim in PA based on those three-month earnings. If not, you should be eligible for a continuation of your claim in NJ.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:43 PM

Default Turned down

Got notification today that PA turned me down for unemployment benefits, as my previous unemployment did not count as wages and so it shows that I only worked 3 months in the last 18 months. Don't know what I am going to do now.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Got notification today that PA turned me down for unemployment benefits, as my previous unemployment did not count as wages and so it shows that I only worked 3 months in the last 18 months. Don't know what I am going to do now.
Contact NJ ASAP about reopening your claim there. Since you were laid off from your previous job, you should be able to collect what remains of your NJ benefits. It doesn't matter that your last employer was in PA.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:31 PM

621 posts, read 2,325,890 times
I don't think he can collect the remaining weeks of EB right? I thought once you were taken off EB like by going back to work, that you cant get back on it.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:06 PM

Oh, God, don't let THAT be true.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Oh, God, don't let THAT be true.
Fwiw, I have googled the internet and searched the NJ website and find nothing to substantiate that.

Diorgirl will know the answer to this. It's the first I've heard that once employed and then laid off, one can't resume EB and I've been reading this stuff here and elsewhere for almost a year now.

It really makes no sense to put that restriction on EB.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:20 PM

621 posts, read 2,325,890 times
If you qualify for a new claim and your on EB, you collect that new claim. However let's say that claim is only for a 5-8 weeks, you can't get put back on EB from your first claim. I've read more than several of those scenarios that people have had on unemPloyed friends website

the most recent one:
http://unemployed-friends.forumotion...k-and-eb-in-nj

Appearantly you can go back to your old extensions if you left off one with a balance but once you are taken off EB, you can't go back to it.

I find it odd and stupid as well but that's not the only story I read about that. People here have posted the same thing

Last edited by Tuck91NYG; 01-21-2011 at 08:33 PM..

Old 01-21-2011, 09:17 PM

But dwarff hasn't had a new claim. Dwarff was collecting on his NJ claim, got a job in PA, just got denied in PA for a new claim on this recent layoff, so he can go back to his original NJ claim.

You are correct - EB is only available on the last claim as I've posted here at least 15 times on numerous threads discussing multiple claims. Here's one of them:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Because of the order in which multiple claims and their tiers are paid, it would have been impossible for her to collect 99 weeks in the sense you mean (EB), because EB is not payable when there are multiple claims, except on the last claim.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/17332199-post10.html

From what dwarff posted he has had no subsequent claims. NJ is his one and only claim.

Ergo, he should be able to go back to NJ.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 01-21-2011 at 09:35 PM..

Old 01-21-2011, 09:28 PM

166 posts, read 375,152 times
Tuck is correct I'm afraid. If you go off the nj dole (for employment or voluntarily) you forfeit any and all future extensions and / or claims. Dwharff that's why so many folks these days are thinking twice before taking seasonal or short-time jobs, especially in "employer rights" states like nj. I wouldn't say the cards are stacked against you in this case, more like the house of cards just fell on your head.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment