Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 06:41 AM

39 posts, read 203,666 times

Advertisements

my question is normally when you exhaust a tier you have one week left of benefits, today i claimed benefits online for the remainding week, NJ normally files your next extension for you. However when i filed my claim online it said it was accepted and benefits are being processed. it said in the special message area: "BENEFITS EXHAUSTED , our records indicate that you may be eligible for an extended benefit claim. A claim will be filed for you. You will be notified by mail of your eligibility and if you are eligible, the date on which you should next claim benefits." When they say extended benefits are they talking about an EB claim or moving me to Tier II? as i just exhausted Tier 1 im not sure why it would say that. please help with any answers as my anxiety is through the roof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 06:57 AM

269 posts, read 711,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop619 View Post
my question is normally when you exhaust a tier you have one week left of benefits, today i claimed benefits online for the remainding week, NJ normally files your next extension for you. However when i filed my claim online it said it was accepted and benefits are being processed. it said in the special message area: "BENEFITS EXHAUSTED , our records indicate that you may be eligible for an extended benefit claim. A claim will be filed for you. You will be notified by mail of your eligibility and if you are eligible, the date on which you should next claim benefits."
Don't worry. You'll get a letter in a few days much like when you moved from the the base 26 weeks into Tier I.

Quote:
When they say extended benefits are they talking about an EB claim or moving me to Tier II? as i just exhausted Tier 1 im not sure why it would say that. please help with any answers as my anxiety is through the roof.
They are merely telling you your that your Tier I benefits are exhausted, that's all. Your account gets "replenished" each time you enter a new tier. EUC eligibility does not end until Dec 31st, 2011, and you can collect the remainder of your balance through June 9, 2012.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:57 AM

49 posts, read 188,964 times
From what I remember it usually says that when you end a tier. You should be fine and go right on to Tier II. Don't worry!

Old 02-07-2011, 07:04 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,979,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop619 View Post
my question is normally when you exhaust a tier you have one week left of benefits,
In my experience in NJ, when you "exhaust" a level of unemployment benefits left , you have no weeks left.

today i claimed benefits online for the remainding week, NJ normally files your next extension for you. However when i filed my claim online it said it was accepted and benefits are being processed. it said in the special message area: "BENEFITS EXHAUSTED , our records indicate that you may be eligible for an extended benefit claim. A claim will be filed for you. You will be notified by mail of your eligibility and if you are eligible, the date on which you should next claim benefits." When they say extended benefits are they talking about an EB claim or moving me to Tier II?

That is a routine message that you receive when you exhaust any level of benefits in NJ. It simply flags for you that you now have a zero balance in your account, that your claim is being reviewed for eligibility for the next level of extension, and that you will receive a written notice of the determination of your eligibility.

You are being reviewed for eligibility for Tier II. Since your received Tier I, there should be no reason that you are ineligible for Tier II. So, just wait for the determination of benefits -- which you should receive in a few days.

as i just exhausted Tier 1 im not sure why it would say that. please help with any answers as my anxiety is through the roof.
The message is a generic one, used when any level of benefits is exhausted, to alert you that the state is aware that you exhausted one level, and that NJ is routinely reviewing your eligibility for the next level. It means you don't have to do anything.
Take a breath -- this is just the routine process.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:19 AM

79 posts, read 231,226 times
Make sure to update tomorrow when you check you account. I will be in the same situation tomorrow, $14 left on my current tier, and I should move onto my next but don't know how they send the money out in that instance. Like will they send me a $14 check and then make up the difference with my new tier the next day? Confused

Old 02-07-2011, 07:54 AM

79 posts, read 231,226 times
OK, I just called and got some info on how this works.

I have $14 left in my current tier. I file tomorrow, and $14 is sent out. The next day my new tier kicks in and they send me 1 weeks worth of my normal amount. So basically I'm going to be getting like $160 less than normal this week.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:52 AM

39 posts, read 203,666 times
thank you to all who replied, i will wait for the letter in the mail and post an update when i receive it.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:19 AM

3 posts, read 10,901 times
I had this exact situation happen to me. I freaked out for a few days, showed up to the one-stop career center (they were closed for a holiday) and just kept my fingers crossed. Yesterday I received an update via the post office stating i qualify for tier 2. I'm sure your's will be the same.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 6,559 times
how do u find out what tier u are on?

Old 11-11-2011, 09:21 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,486,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worm1 View Post
how do u find out what tier u are on?
In New Jersey, you are mailed a "Notice of Benefit Determination" at the beginning of each of these events:

State Benefits
EUC Tier I
EUC Tier II
EUC Tier III
EUC Tier IV
State Extended Benefits

This form will show you the Tier name (if a Tier), the maximum benefit amount, the weekly benefit rate, and when to claim it.

Some states have on-line account access, but in NJ we have to rely on the USPS for this information, still.

You could phone your UI office and ask them as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment