Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 03:31 PM

3 posts, read 32,385 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I had my unemployment appeal hearing today and it lasted no longer than 5 minutes. I guess I should give a quick background. I voluntarily quit my job in NorCal and relocated to SoCal because my hours were being cut at work. During the same time frame my rent doubled. I moved because I can live with family down here. My former employer was a complete no show (No call or letter from them). The judge wouldn't even look at the copies of my pay stubs that i brought to prove my point, but I was able to get in the fact that my pay over the winter would have been about 1/3 of what I was making in the summer due to the weather (I work outside and rain means no work). So the way I figure it, it either looks really really good or really really bad. The question is which one? Anybody have any ideas? Anybody ever heard of a 5 minute appeal hearing? I couldn't find any info on the net regarding the shortness of my hearing. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 03:35 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXHeiroXx View Post
Hello everyone. I had my unemployment appeal hearing today and it lasted no longer than 5 minutes. I guess I should give a quick background. I voluntarily quit my job in NorCal and relocated to SoCal because my hours were being cut at work. During the same time frame my rent doubled. I moved because I can live with family down here. My former employer was a complete no show (No call or letter from them). The judge wouldn't even look at the copies of my pay stubs that i brought to prove my point, but I was able to get in the fact that my pay over the winter would have been about 1/3 of what I was making in the summer due to the weather (I work outside and rain means no work). So the way I figure it, it either looks really really good or really really bad. The question is which one? Anybody have any ideas? Anybody ever heard of a 5 minute appeal hearing? I couldn't find any info on the net regarding the shortness of my hearing. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
My best guess : They never showed. Judge did not think it fair to view any paperwork/check stubs because the employer was saying this appeal was not important enough to attend.....

I don't know if it means you won or even if your employer can be a no show and later still fight it...

Old 02-24-2011, 06:10 PM

208 posts, read 552,185 times
Every 5 minutes they are there, takes them away from the golf course

Old 02-25-2011, 07:09 PM

189 posts, read 966,658 times
I agree with WannaliveinGreenville, the employer's "no-show" made your whole case, moot. Generally, when one side doesn't show up for a court hearing, the other side wins. You'll find out soon.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertdarlene View Post
I agree with WannaliveinGreenville, the employer's "no-show" made your whole case, moot. Generally, when one side doesn't show up for a court hearing, the other side wins. You'll find out soon.
Thanks for the helpful responses. "Soon" doesn't even do it justice. I got my letter today, 2 days after the hearing. I won!!! This was huge considering how broke I am right now. And to top it all off an interview today went great and I'll hopefully be working by next week.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:35 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times
Wonderful! Glad it all worked in your favor!

Old 02-27-2011, 02:17 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
Quote:
Thanks for the helpful responses. "Soon" doesn't even do it justice. I got my letter today, 2 days after the hearing. I won!!! This was huge considering how broke I am right now. And to top it all off an interview today went great and I'll hopefully be working by next week.
woooohooooooooooo ! Glad you did Good luck on your interview too !

Old 02-28-2011, 05:20 AM

372 posts, read 521,661 times
Quote:
Excellent. The retroactive UI benefits will help to tide you over until you start your new job.

Congratulations!

Old 02-28-2011, 10:57 AM

189 posts, read 966,658 times
Congrats! And, hopefully, you got the job, too and won't have to worry about UI anymore.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:17 PM

Thank you everyone for the good karma!! Just thought I should update in case someone like me wants to find info on it. I got my back checks yesterday. That is exactly 1 week after my hearing. Not my letter but the actual hearing. SO I know they probably run these on a case by case basis, but if you're appeal hearing goes real quick and you get the "you won" letter 2 days after that, I got my checks 7 days after the hearing date.

Oh and I started work today! Yay!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment